Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPIED: 2017 Ford F-Series Super Duty

Foremost, this truck is big. Although the wrap obscures some of its details, the photos make us think we should expect less contouring than what we see on the current Super Duty. For example, the test truck’s hood looks almost completely flat, giving it a bluff, square-nosed look that reminds this writer of the Ford F-250 and F-350 from 1992 to 1997. The high, flat bodysides contribute to somewhat pinched window glass, and we’re worried that the new Super Duty is going to lose the current model’s excellent visibility provided by its big windows and low dashboard.

Photos at link

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2015/1503_spied_2017_ford_f_series_super_duty/#ixzz3U86rrEIb

·
Registered
436 Posts
Great find thanks for sharing. Looks promising. I just hope it doesn't receive the same headlight treatment as the new F-150. Not a big fan of those new headlights.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That's a big ass truck! The camo makes it look like they're doing a MegaCab like Ram but I think it's just the camo. I am curious though what they're wanting to hide back there.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I wonder how much weight loss will be the result of going aluminum. Looking at the hood, it not the real hood but a temporary hood cover. And just imagine the new functional technologies Ford will bring to the New SuperDuty.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I wonder how much weight loss will be the result of going aluminum. Looking at the hood, it not the real hood but a temporary hood cover. And just imagine the new functional technologies Ford will bring to the New SuperDuty.
If the F150 dropped around 700lbs the SD should be that or more. I'm still a bit surprised they didn't do a steel inner bed with aluminum elsewhere for durability and cost reduction.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Design looks simple and purposeful, and not terribly similar to the F-150 sheetmetal. The interior however shares most of it's parts with the F-150.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
If the F150 dropped around 700lbs the SD should be that or more. I'm still a bit surprised they didn't do a steel inner bed with aluminum elsewhere for durability and cost reduction.
I thought that the military grade aluminum in the bed of the F-150 was stronger than steel to justify being in the bed of the F-150. Using the same Aluminum in the bed of the Super Duty will also be a selling point for the durability of the F-150. I would also think that buy sticking with an all aluminum body and bed, the aluminum volume increases and costs go down overall, along with no need for welding equipment just for a metal bed. Check the video about the F-150 production, and notice how much quieter and cleaner it is, with riveting and no loud welding, sparks, etc.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That's fckin MASSIVE. Cool. There's definitely going to be more F-150 in the Super Duty than past years, though, design wise. I am very happy about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts