Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33606

my thoughts are below

We are probably looking at the first glimpse of the refresh. Good timing too with the new Camaro around the corner. The odd exhaust (with the rounded, flared tips) usually indicates emission testing. This would only be necessary with powertrain updates, fwiw.

Reactions: jalberda

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front looks less upright than the 2016. But it's probably just camo. FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

Definitely a GT, what with the GT hood and brakes. That, in combination with the tips, make me believe we can see some significant power upgrades to the 5.0.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
guess I hafta say it...
LincStang mule?
:angel
You know that's where I was going. Because I have never seen a Ford model year 'refresh' with such extensive front and rear changes, that they use these replacement lights front and back. Think about it, the Mustang just came out and is still launching in other markets. UK has not even had their first batch delivered yet, so it's really doubtful that there will be an extensive refresh for MY2017, when it just came out for MY2015. Ford does not do major refreshes that quickly. It's normally about 4 years before a major refresh, then two more years before a replacement.

So that's why I think it's a mule for a LincStang. And what this does is allow Lincoln to offer the Mustang without being restricted with heritage designs for the front and back lights. Lincoln can have it's own more upscale, more luxury designs. The rest of the body can stay.

Personally, the aspects of the Mustang I really don't care for is the high front end, and the tail lights. But update both of those aspects, load it up with Lincoln tech(just imagine the convertible) at a $10k premium, and Lincoln will have the 20, 30 and 40 year old demographic with cash flocking to Lincoln dealerships. So instead of developing a whole new small sedan to compete directly with the 3-Series/C-Class, Lincoln just might offer a version of the #1 selling sports car as a Lincoln. Sounds like a winner to me.

I see something similar to this brewing...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
You know that's where I was going. Because I have never seen a Ford model year 'refresh' with such extensive front and rear changes, that they use these replacement lights front and back. Think about it, the Mustang just came out and is still launching in other markets. UK has not even had their first batch delivered yet, so it's really doubtful that there will be an extensive refresh for MY2017, when it just came out for MY2015. Ford does not do major refreshes that quickly. It's normally about 4 years before a major refresh, then two more years before a replacement.

So that's why I think it's a mule for a LincStang. And what this does is allow Lincoln to offer the Mustang without being restricted with heritage designs for the front and back lights. Lincoln can have it's own more upscale, more luxury designs. The rest of the body can stay.

Personally, the aspects of the Mustang I really don't care for is the high front end, and the tail lights. But update both of those aspects, load it up with Lincoln tech(just imagine the convertible) at a $10k premium, and Lincoln will have the 20, 30 and 40 year old demographic with cash flocking to Lincoln dealerships. So instead of developing a whole new small sedan to compete directly with the 3-Series/C-Class, Lincoln just might offer a version of the #1 selling sports car as a Lincoln. Sounds like a winner to me.

I see something similar to this brewing...

Where your line of thought breaks down is any LincStang would have to have to distance itself from the Mustang to a greater extent than any of the other Lincolns from their Ford platform mates. If this were a Lincoln mule then there is zero reason to hide the Mustang facia, which in the front facing pictures clearly shows the horse in the grill. The only reason for hiding the front end like that if it were a Lincoln would be for engine cooling tests on the Lincoln facia, which clearly isn't there. So no, this is simply an update which I certainly hope includes the 10 speed auto and significant enhancements to the Coyote and 2.3EB along with any under the skin changes that could help close the 90 pound gap between the GT and the new SS.

Edit: Further thought on why this isn't a Lincoln: If it were a mule the entire body would need to change, thus the only purpose is for suspension and drive train testing which could include a new Lincoln facia which would also need testing for cooling. There would be absolutely zero reason to hide the tail end because with the major body changes it shouldn't even fit into the Mustang body, besides which there is nothing there that would require testing at such an early stage.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
If that's a refresh, it is a darn quick one.
That's what I was thinking. It just launched for MY2015 and is still launching globally. Sales are double and it's the #1 selling sports car in the World. Which is why I think it's the mule for the LincStang. That needs to launch next year after the New Continental and refreshed MKZ.

- Continental takes the place of the MKS

- MY2017 refreshed MKZ better targets 3-Series/C-Class (Lexus ES has moved up market to target the same MKS/Continental consumer)

- LincStang to target A5, 4-Series coupe/convertibe , C-Class Coupe/Convertible

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That's what I was thinking. It just launched for MY2015 and is still launching globally. Sales are double and it's the #1 selling sports car in the World. Which is why I think it's the mule for the LincStang. That needs to launch next year after the New Continental and refreshed MKZ.

- Continental takes the place of the MKS

- MY2017 refreshed MKZ better targets 3-Series/C-Class (Lexus ES has moved up market to target the same MKS/Continental consumer)

- LincStang to target A5, 4-Series coupe/convertibe , C-Class Coupe/Convertible
So, tell me what you think is going on under that camo on back? If it were a LincStang what could they be testing on such an early mule at the back of the car? I can think of absolutely nothing, zip, zero, nada.

Edit: and if it were a mule, it's an early stages mule thus the LincStang would be to far behind and wouldn't even launch until S550 was half way through it's lifespan.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ sorry, I was joking, Bloggin

from what I've skimmed on the net, it's an expected "ORAMAC" (anti-Camaro) refresh

...simply an update which I certainly hope includes the 10 speed auto and significant enhancements to the Coyote and 2.3EB along with any under the skin changes that could help close the 90 pound gap between the GT and the new SS...
:thumb:
I'm betting the 'unusual' lights is mainly to get the Mustang Forums worked up :nevreness:

...Edit: Further thought on why this isn't a Lincoln: If it were a mule the entire body would need to change, thus the only purpose is for suspension and drive train testing which could include a new Lincoln facia which would also need testing for cooling. There would be absolutely zero reason to hide the tail end because with the major body changes it shouldn't even fit into the Mustang body, besides which there is nothing there that would require testing at such an early stage.
OTOH...
& not nec. for THIS one

I hope somewhen down the line, some electrification will get tested...

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Where your line of thought breaks down is any LincStang would have to have to distance itself from the Mustang to a greater extent than any of the other Lincolns from their Ford platform mates. If this were a Lincoln mule then there is zero reason to hide the Mustang facia, which in the front facing pictures clearly shows the horse in the grill. The only reason for hiding the front end like that if it were a Lincoln would be for engine cooling tests on the Lincoln facia, which clearly isn't there. So no, this is simply an update which I certainly hope includes the 10 speed auto and significant enhancements to the Coyote and 2.3EB along with any under the skin changes that could help close the 90 pound gap between the GT and the new SS.

Edit: Further thought on why this isn't a Lincoln: If it were a mule the entire body would need to change, thus the only purpose is for suspension and drive train testing which could include a new Lincoln facia which would also need testing for cooling. There would be absolutely zero reason to hide the tail end because with the major body changes it shouldn't even fit into the Mustang body, besides which there is nothing there that would require testing at such an early stage.
Interesting. I would think the closer to the Mustang 'heritage' the New LincStang is, the better. I also think that what was initially added to the Mustang platform wise, was in preparation for a Lincoln variant. If we remember, the New Continental started out on a Fusion body and became so much more.

And wouldn't it be interesting for a LincStang to debuted the new 10-speed transmission, and then becoming an option on the Mustang.

But clearly, the Mustang just launched for MY2015, and a major refresh just 2 years later is completely unnecessary. I am also sure that when the 10-speed transmission is available for the Mustang, it won't require a body refresh, but just be another option, like a new engine. The Mustang is selling tremendously well on a global scale, and there is no compelling reason to mess with that design. Also, the Mustang has so many engine options now, adding another won't justify a body refresh. I am sure Ford was waiting for the Camaro specs to be released so they can offer another update to the current 2.3L EB engine to overcome any HP or torque deficit. Besides the fact that the Camaro lost some of it's promotional balance with the new model.

But just the though of a LincStang coming to be.............

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Interesting. I would think the closer to the Mustang 'heritage' the New LincStang is, the better. I also think that what was initially added to the Mustang platform wise, was in preparation for a Lincoln variant. If we remember, the New Continental started out on a Fusion body and became so much more.
Not IMO, no Lincoln should hold to the Mustang heritage, to me that would be asking for disaster. A Lincoln luxury sport coupe cannot be Mustang plus as that would just be Lincoln light. It should follow in the Mark VII and VIII shoes, comfortable, powerful, with very competent handling but without any hint of being a pony car. In other words I want a Mark IX and not a modern Cougar.

And wouldn't it be interesting for a LincStang to debuted the new 10-speed transmission, and then becoming an option on the Mustang.
I'm not at all concerned with Lincoln getting something like a transmission first, nobody but dweebs like us will ever even know. Just get the damn things out there!

But clearly, the Mustang just launched for MY2015, and a major refresh just 2 years later is completely unnecessary.
Something as small as front and rear facias are not major refresh and I would have no issue with bi-annual refreshes such as that, needed or not. Raise the bar, instead of the same basic shape for 8 years with a minor style refresh after 4 do the minor style refresh every 2 years!

I am also sure that when the 10-speed transmission is available for the Mustang, it won't require a body refresh, but just be another option, like a new engine.
Historically Ford combined their various style and mechanical updates so as to launch a more impressive refresh. Unless they've changed I would expect them to come together once again, though the extent to which the Camaro appears to have raised the bar may force their hand. Besides, I never suggested a new transmission would require a style refresh.

I am sure Ford was waiting for the Camaro specs to be released so they can offer another update to the current 2.3L EB engine to overcome any HP or torque deficit.
If true that would be the most depressing thing I've ever heard about Ford! Never, and I mean NEVER, be less than you can to leave room for fake improvement later. Raise the damned bar as high as you can with what you're given, if the competition tops it congratulate them and get back to the drawing board. There is absolutely zero chance GM is pulling punches on the Camaro so they can offset whatever updates Ford makes to the Mustang, that is a 100% total loser mentality.

Besides the fact that the Camaro lost some of it's promotional balance with the new model.
I honestly have no clue what that means.

·
Registered
761 Posts
guess I hafta say it...
LincStang mule?
:angel
My thoughts exactly when I saw these pictures. I'm so excited to see what Lincoln Motor Company has in store for us. Yeah!

Edit: Someone mentioned this couldn't be the mysterious LincStang because it has the Mustang's body. Over the years I've seen several manufacturers place a 'Top Hat' on a car for testing only to change it completely at a later date.

(IMHO) This looks like more than just a refresh with the lights front/back placed away from the body. Not to mention the extended tailpipes. Something serious is definitely going on here.

Thanks for the post "gjrip".

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An early Mustang refresh is a good idea; with the Camaro on its way, it would be great to steal some of its thunder with a power bump and a few visual enhancements.
That is what we are looking at here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts