1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spy Photos: 2017 Chevy Bolt
Autoblog | June 10, 2015

See more photos over at Autoblog

Chevy's decision to call its new electric car the Bolt has stirred controversy and confusion, but regardless, it's well on its way to becoming a production reality.

The prototype captured in these shots is heavily camouflaged, but the crossover/hatchback styling cues are still evident. The car also has a tall greenhouse, slight creases in the sides, and a sloping roofline in back. There's a rapidly rising body line that makes for less glass for rear passengers, but that's probably part of the camo. The Bolt is expected to arrive for 2017 and will be sold in all 50 states.

The Chevy Bolt carries the promise of bringing EV technology to a broader audience. Chevy said the car will cost about $30,000 after possible tax incentives and could have a range of 200 miles. It will be assembled at General Motors' Lake Orion, MI, factory.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Double the range of the BMW i3 for about $10k less.

Which makes me think Ford may be going the same direction with the next gen C-Max.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Except for the face, the Bolt has taken a page directly from the Ford design language handbook.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
C-Max is a retrofit gas-powered car and we've seen how inefficient turning a gas powered car into a hybrid can be (both in space, packaging, and economy). And quite simply, it's just not a competitive or compelling solution with far more compromises than the compeitition. I think Ford has always been torn on the Prius/Volt/Leaf et.al. They don't want to spend the money and resources like GM has on a dedication solution and the market is extremely fickle, and it appears Ford has generally lost interest in hybridization with fading interest and controversy. But then again, we can just presume they are working on something significant (like a Hybrid F-150).

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The C-Max offers more power and acceleration than the Prius. I would happily take that over a few mpg gained. And space is fine.

And Ford was brilliant not to waste the money on an exclusive platform like the Volt, which is the definition of inefficient.
Current crop of Ford hybrid engines are converted regular engines, with barely any optimization for that application. Ford is working on several hybrid optimized engines, and combined with other advances in batteries and motors and such, there will be a significant gain in FE in the very near term. Long term depends on the market.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Prius: 51 city / 48 highway

C-Max: 42 city / 37 highway

Just a few eh? I know we're all Ford fans but you have to admit the C-Max is a poor hybrid.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
And Ford was brilliant not to waste the money on an exclusive platform like the Volt, which is the definition of inefficient.
The Volt is based upon the Cruze and the Bolt is based upon the Sonic I believe thus neither are on their own platform.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

Just a few eh? I know we're all Ford fans but you have to admit the C-Max is a poor hybrid.
Honestly burg, do you ever....and I mean EVER give Ford the benefit of the doubt?

You compared the wrong freaking product.

Try again. And I will let you fetch the mpg's for the CORRECT C-max competition which is very close in mpg, as I stated, and it is pathetically slow...like 2 seconds slower to 60. Which again, makes the couple mpg gains not worth it, as I stated.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

without looking up the PEE-us (googling Thugota makes me ITCH)
imho the FoMoCo hybrid-sytem(singular) and plug-in system(singular and mostly the same thing + bigger battery & charger afaik)
are much more powerful than Thugota's...

...imho more powerful than needed IN THE C-MAX
(even with only using 188hp out its total 258hp capability)

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I count 8.2 secs with my trusty iphone stopwatch app when run with TC turned off.
Prius V needs over 10 sec to do same.
So, there you have it. One merges with traffic just fine, the other gets everyone behind you angry at you.

I call that hybrid progress.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Honestly burg, do you ever....and I mean EVER give Ford the benefit of the doubt?

You compared the wrong freaking product.

Try again. And I will let you fetch the mpg's for the CORRECT C-max competition which is very close in mpg, as I stated, and it is pathetically slow...like 2 seconds slower to 60. Which again, makes the couple mpg gains not worth it, as I stated.
You mean Prius V? Who taught you to read car magazines?

So what about this stat? Which one is the C-Max competing with here?

Prius V
34.3 ft³, 67.3 ft³ with seat area

Prius
21.6 ft³, 39.6 ft with seat area

C-Max
24.5 ft³, 52.6 ft³ with seat area

Or here?

Prius V
MSRP: From $26,750

Prius
MSRP: From $24,200

C-Max
MSRP: From $24,170'

Truth is, C-Max is not targeting a specific vehicle, it is Ford's flagship Hybrid, it is their Volt/Prius/Leaf/i3/et.al. Ford took an opportunity to inexpensively fabricate a visually iconic hybrid from a product unknown to the US and with sufficient cargo space to absorb the battery while preserving midsize roominess. So that's why we have this car and why I assert it's their answer to Prius, not the Prius V which I'm certain they don't give a sh*t about. The C-Max will be gone once they have a genuine Prius/Volt alternative.

From a business perspective I'm sure it sounded like a good idea with minimal risk and cost, and I'm sure the EPA loopholes also played a part in green lighting this car (which made it look allot more like a Prius fighter too), but that came to bite back hard and the C-Max is J.D. Power's worst ranked car with deep customer dissatisfaction. The C-Max is a pretty notable failure for Ford, but again it was a low risk effort anyway. So if you think I'm going to congratulate Ford on the C-Max, sorry to disappoint you!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Here is the one reason I would choose the C-Max and all it's 'inefficiencies'

It's a rocket that gets Prius like mpg's....sparing only a few.

Oh,
and it just looks better than the V.

Except it doesn't get anywhere near the estimated gas mileage if you have fun with it (but at least you have the choice)...and it looks like this...not that.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

The taller C-Max competes with the taller V. It makes a huge impact on efficiency.
And I see you did not bother correcting your early mpg numbers even after I proved you wrong, so I will happily do it for you.
Prius V: 44 city / 40 highway

Like I said, just a few mpg, yet considering the huge power and acceleration advantage, I call that a smart hybrid.

And like I stated, Ford has a lot of additional fuel efficiency coming with the all new 2015 C-max shown in red above. And in very short term a slew of new hybrid optimized engines.

And I am not waiting for you to 'congratulate' them, that much I have learned.
But when you place your boot over Ford or Lincoln's neck at every chance you can, with comments describing the C-Max as 'inefficient' in every way -- while simultaneously holding every other competitor in high regard, gets noticed. This is me noticing.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
A tall hybrid that gets worse fuel economy with MUCH less interior space than the Prius V you claim it competes with (actually it's closer to the standard Prius than the V)? But it goes faster because that's the MOST important factor to hybrid consumers who really just want the real-world fuel economy of a Ford Focus (which is why C-Max scores so high in JD Power surveys).

Yep, smart hybrid, home run right there, congrats Ford and your awesome effort, I know customers appreciate the refunds and your bigger profit margins.

And last time I checked, the C-Max hybrid has not been updated.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
A tall hybrid that gets worse fuel economy with MUCH less interior space than the Prius V you claim it competes with (actually it's closer to the standard Prius than the V)? But it goes faster because that's the MOST important factor to hybrid consumers who really just want the real-world fuel economy of a Ford Focus (which is why C-Max scores so high in JD Power surveys).

Yep, smart hybrid, home run right there, congrats Ford and your awesome effort, I know customers appreciate the refunds and your bigger profit margins.

And last time I checked, the C-Max hybrid has not been updated.

So after a comparison between the C and the V, and after praising the C's ride and comfort and acceleration and handling relative to the V at the slight expense of some back seat room.....this is what MT concluded with:

"So, which is the better car? I'd say the C-Max, hands down. Which is why, when a friend with a 3-year-old called me recently asking for a hybrid recommendation, I advised him to get the Ford C-Max. It's nicer, I explained. It's faster, drives better, is quieter, and, despite the comparative lack of space, is an all-around more appealing package than the Toyota. Guess what? He didn't care about any of that. All that mattered to him was fuel economy. So he bought the Prius V. Go figure."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...3_ford_c_max_hybrid_comparison/#ixzz3ct8QQ496

Once again, the fuel economy difference would hardly get noticed, so yeah, every other benefit matters to me.

So that is in fact a smart hybrid.
You are welcome.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Forgot to mention,
people are really short sighted when it comes to letting a few mpg sway your decision as it relates to already high mileage hybrids. Do the math. A vehicle that gets 44 mpg instead of 40 and both driven 15K per year at todays ful price, comes out to a $90 savings per freaking year. That's 7 and a half bucks per month. It should NOT be a factor in your vehicle choice, because it is not enough to matter. What does matter, is every other benefit you get, especially more safety through performance (acceleration and handling).

I have driven both.
I concluded the same exact thing that pretty much most comparisons I have read concluded - C-Max is better.
Sorry that upsets some.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts