Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That was a HUGE sore point for me, and was almost enough for me not to like it. With the wheel gone I can flat-out like this thing now!

I have a coworker that has an Ecosport; he told me the other day that he is part of am Ecosport club in his city! I thought that was great, he said they get together and discuss their vehicles and organise scenic drives. Pretty darn cool that it has apparently generated some passionate fans. China doesn't have a very old 'car-culture', so it's encouraging to see a modern one growing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a ecosport, I never liked the wheel on the tailgate, it is a problem to park, for me it is great news that they get the wheel there.
here in Argentina there is a fan club ecosport and there are many people who like the wheel hanging on the gate,

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I wonder if Ford will just put a Flat tire repair kit on these models or if they will mount the spare tire under the floor?
Some markets prefer an actual spare tire over a Flat tire repair kit.

What's under the cargo floor?
FWD EcoSport available in most markets

The big empty space under the cargo floor is basically where the Fiesta's spare tire well used to be.
Apparently the FWD model uses the same stampings as the 4WD model, that empty space actually has a purpose. (see next photo)

4WD EcoSport in Brazil

In the 4WD model, that empty space is filled up by the rear differential, independent rear suspension and the transverse muffler (which was relocated to clear the right rear halfshaft).

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
how can you tell?
The door handle for the rear door is still located on the right light cluster extension. Of course not unless prototype/mule's carryover tail light clusters will be replaced, but chances are the door still opens the same way (side-hinged).

I'm guessing this is like how some previous Rav4 models didn't have the external spare tire on some models, but they retained the side-opening doors because they shared the same hinges/latches etc as the model with the external spare tire.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

The Euro version of the Ecosport with larger wheels, more trim and without the rear tire could do well in the US.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think it's clear at this point that EcoSport is not intended for US consumption. If you want to compete in this segment domestically, Ford will need to look at what Honda and Chevy/Buick are doing with their US entries. I'm sure Ford has already done the research on this vehicle and knows it needs to go in a different direction if it wants to tackle this segment, which I'm sure they'll do with the next-gen.

If you compare the EcoSport to the competition, it's a really strange looking beast with tiny wheels and wheel arches with a very short wheelbase, it's just far too close to the subcompact it's based upon. The spare on the back and side-swinging door isn't the only point of friction with this car. Ford will need to get this right before it spends money bringing that car here.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
http://walls-world.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2014-Ford-Ecosport-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

The Euro version of the Ecosport with larger wheels, more trim and without the rear tire could do well in the US.
That's part of the £1,000 X Pack on the Titanium model.
Standard euro wheels are the same as these 16 inch wheels used in all the other markets.

I think it's clear at this point that EcoSport is not intended for US consumption. If you want to compete in this segment domestically, Ford will need to look at what Honda and Chevy/Buick are doing with their US entries. I'm sure Ford has already done the research on this vehicle and knows it needs to go in a different direction if it wants to tackle this segment, which I'm sure they'll do with the next-gen.
Yes, I believe it wasn't originally intended for the US market, but later on they felt that there could be a market for a B-segment crossover in the US. Perhaps an even bigger potential market in Canada?
The news a few months ago is Ford is most likely going to source a US-spec EcoSport from Thailand because it has better NVH and quality than the Indian made model.
This will supposedly happen in 2016 which is the same time frame as EcoSport's mid-cycle refresh.

If you compare the EcoSport to the competition, it's a really strange looking beast with tiny wheels and wheel arches with a very short wheelbase, it's just far too close to the subcompact it's based upon. The spare on the back and side-swinging door isn't the only point of friction with this car. Ford will need to get this right before it spends money bringing that car here.
It actually looks better in the metal than in the photos, specially when you see it out on the road.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I do not see any major difference between the Trax and this --- they both have tiny wheels are tall and narrow. If they get NVH under control and source decent plastics for the interior, this ought to look and work just as well as any other b-segment CUV. They are all awhward and weird. I think Juke has managed to look good (well not look awkward in the same way as the others), but all others are just odd and weak looking. Is the Renegate in this group as well?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I do not see any major difference between the Trax and this --- they both have tiny wheels are tall and narrow.
The Trax is half an inch wider, over an inch lower and about 11 inches longer than the EcoSport (bumper to bumper).
The Trax actually has larger diameter tires.
The 16 inch wheels of the EcoSport come with 205/60R16 (25.7 in diameter) tires, the 16 inch wheels of the Trax come with 205/70R16 (27.3 in diameter) tires (while higher models use large 18 in wheels).

Trax LT with 205/70R16 tires

Is the Renegate in this group as well?

Technically yes, the New Jeep Renegade, its Fiat 500X cousin, Chevy Trax, Buick Encore, Renault Captur, Peugeot 2008 etc are all B-segment crossovers like the EcoSport.
The difference is the EcoSport was also designed to be marketed as a low-cost crossover in India, so it had to be under 4 meters long (less than 157.5 inches) when measured bumper to bumper so it could fall in a lower tax bracket to keep prices low.
This makes the EcoSport one of the shortest B-segment crossovers in its segment. The Chevy Trax for example is 168.5 inches long, making it a tad longer than the EcoSport with its external spare tire.

Some of the advantages of the EcoSport is its high 200mm (7.87in) ground clearance and its 550mm (21.65in) water wading capability which is even better than many larger C-segment crossovers.
Unlike its competitors, in most markets the EcoSport is only available as a FWD crossover. The 4WD EcoSport's main market is Brazil and only Ford do Brasil makes 4WD EcoSports. The plants in India, Thailand and China only manufacture FWD models.

FWD EcoSport Titanium 1.0 EcoBoost

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I wonder if Ford will just put a Flat tire repair kit on these models or if they will mount the spare tire under the floor?
Some markets prefer an actual spare tire over a Flat tire repair kit.

What's under the cargo floor?
FWD EcoSport available in most markets

The big empty space under the cargo floor is basically where the Fiesta's spare tire well used to be.
Apparently the FWD model uses the same stampings as the 4WD model, that empty space actually has a purpose. (see next photo)

4WD EcoSport in Brazil

In the 4WD model, that empty space is filled up by the rear differential, independent rear suspension and the transverse muffler (which was relocated to clear the right rear halfshaft).
Maybe they can put one in the back side like they did with the old Taurus Wagons?

Off to the left.

Not sure how much space is in the back of the EcoSport but that's always an idea.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Maybe they can put one in the back side like they did with the old Taurus Wagons?

Off to the left.

Not sure how much space is in the back of the EcoSport but that's always an idea.
The EcoSport's rear overhang is roughly the same length as that of the Fiesta hatchback, a tire won't fit on the side of the cargo area.

I think moving the spare tire to under the cargo floor (at least on FWD models) would be more logical. There seems to be no other space on the EcoSport.

(Citroen Berlingo shown)

Photo by BabaHoroz

1 - 20 of 31 Posts