Ford Inside News banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ford will likely need to keep EcoSport as a seperate model for different markets, but will need to develop a new Fiesta based crossover for the US market, probably whenever the next-gen Fiesta launches and built it alongside the Fiesta for US consumption.

If you look at the response to EcoSport in developing markets, like the UK, they basically say it's a remarkably substandard and low quality product with awkward styling. This is not a product for mature markets and I'm surprised Ford is selling them there. This is NOT a car you want in the US with a Ford badge on it, this is not a good vehicle and will drag down their rankings further.

For whatever reason, Ford has been caught completely unprepared to take on this segment for the US, although they are seeing big success with the EcoSport in developing markets.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Ford will likely need to keep EcoSport as a seperate model for different markets, but will need to develop a new Fiesta based crossover for the US market, probably whenever the next-gen Fiesta launches and built it alongside the Fiesta for US consumption.
Do you think Ford would build two different B-segment crossovers?
They'd probably just make 2 different rear ends for the next gen EcoSport, one with a spare tire under the floor and a rear hatch and maybe one with a side-opening rear door with an external spare tire for 4WD Brazilian EcoSports which have no free space under the floor.

If you look at the response to EcoSport in developing markets, like the UK, they basically say it's a remarkably substandard and low quality product with awkward styling. This is not a product for mature markets and I'm surprised Ford is selling them there. This is NOT a car you want in the US with a Ford badge on it, this is not a good vehicle and will drag down their rankings further.
Most European reviews, particulalrly the UK auto journalists nitpick on these 3 things:
1. Hard interior plastics like the dashboard (maybe they like to caress dashboards everytime they enter the car, personally its a surface I rarely touch).
2. It has an external spare tire on the rear. (this leads to issue 3) They call this outdated, they'd rather have a tire either eat up the cargo space or use a tire repair kit.
3. Parking: How can I open the rear door when I back up into a perpendicular space against a wall or another car? Answer: You don't, according to an EcoSport owner, he parks forward into a perpendicular parking space instead of backing up. This leaves him a lot of space to load shopping bags, boxes etc.

In my country most if not all malls have perpendicular parking spaces. This is also where you'd most likely need the rear side-opening door wide open. it might be a different case in the UK though.

-RGD Photography

European issues 1 and 2 can be easily addressed during a mid-cycle refresh, 3 would probably have to wait till the next generation model.
Driving the EcoSport literally feels like driving a tall Fiesta.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Do you think Ford would build two different B-segment crossovers?
They'd probably just make 2 different rear ends for the next gen EcoSport, one with a spare tire under the floor and a rear hatch and maybe one with a side-opening rear door with an external spare tire for 4WD Brazilian EcoSports which have no free space under the floor.

Most European reviews, particulalrly the UK auto journalists nitpick on these 3 things:
1. Hard interior plastics like the dashboard (maybe they like to caress dashboards everytime they enter the car, personally its a surface I rarely touch).
2. It has an external spare tire on the rear. (this leads to issue 3) They call this outdated, they'd rather have a tire either eat up the cargo space or use a tire repair kit.
3. Parking: How can I open the rear door when I back up into a perpendicular space against a wall or another car? Answer: You don't, according to an EcoSport owner, he parks forward into a perpendicular parking space instead of backing up. This leaves him a lot of space to load shopping bags, boxes etc.

In my country most if not all malls have perpendicular parking spaces. This is also where you'd most likely need the rear side-opening door wide open. it might be a different case in the UK though.

-RGD Photography

European issues 1 and 2 can be easily addressed during a mid-cycle refresh, 3 would probably have to wait till the next generation model.
Driving the EcoSport literally feels like driving a tall Fiesta.
They sell two fiesta based crossovers in Europe alone, the B-Max and the EcoSport, so sure they could. It seems impossible for EcoSport to meet the local demands of markets like India and take on the competition in markets like the US and Europe (which is undoubtedly more profitable). The B-Max is a strange MPV sorta thing that is probably even less appealing than the EcoSport in the US, but it's a better start than EcoSport for the US.

BTW, interesting to see an Explorer in that large.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
They sell two fiesta based crossovers in Europe alone, the B-Max and the EcoSport, so sure they could. It seems impossible for EcoSport to meet the local demands of markets like India and take on the competition in markets like the US and Europe (which is undoubtedly more profitable).
B-Max and EcoSport is like C-Max and Escape. Different type of vehicles.
North American EcoSport would most likely be sourced from Thailand, not India.
Internal competition at Ford Motor is likely to rob its Indian unit of an opportunity to export the EcoSport to North America, where the US automaker plans to launch the compact sports utility vehicle in the first half of 2016, people familiar with the matter said.

Ford Motor is likely to make its Thai unit responsible for supplying the SUV to the North American markets, including the US and Canada, said three people. What was on offer for Ford India was a likely order to manufacture 55,000-70,000 units of a face-lifted version the model in 2016, they said.
Ford wants better capacity utilisation at its Thailand plant and EcoSport volumes will help in achieving that, people close to the company said. Also, noise, vibration and harshness levels of cars produced in Thailand are better than those made in India, a crucial factor when selling a vehicle in the demanding markets of North America.
- http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-05-13/news/49820689_1_ford-india-ecosport-ford-motor

The B-Max is a strange MPV sorta thing that is probably even less appealing than the EcoSport in the US, but it's a better start than EcoSport for the US.
The B-Max would definitely be less appealing looking like a shrunken minivan, the refreshed EcoSport would be a good start, knowing that the US market loves CUVs/SUVs.

BTW, interesting to see an Explorer in that large.
The current gen Explorer is quite popular in the Philippines.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The B-Max is not a minivan, it's a subcompact crossover with sliders, it still has 5 seats.
The B-Max is the B-segment equivalent of the C-segment C-Max which in Europe has conventional diesel and gasoline engines.
The C-Max is not a crossover.

The B-Max and C-Max are tall hatch MPV versions of conventional hatchbacks, a segment that exists in Europe, Ford calls its vehicles in the MPV segments, MAVs or "multi-activity vehicles"

The EcoSport is a high riding crossover SUV, a B-segment equivalent of the Escape.

MPV (Ford MAV)
B-Max (B-segment MAV) and C-Max (C-segment MAV)

Crossover SUV
EcoSport (B-segment crossover SUV) and Escape (C-segment crossover SUV)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have a coworker that has an Ecosport; he told me the other day that he is part of an Ecosport club in his city! I thought that was great, he said they get together and discuss their vehicles and organise scenic drives. Pretty darn cool that it has apparently generated some passionate fans. China doesn't have a very old 'car-culture', so it's encouraging to see a modern one growing!
Snapped a picture of his Ecosport the other day! Looks great; he even customized the interior a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Would B-Max interior fit in the Ecosport?
Like the dashboard and front doors? They look similar but I think they don't have the same shape/dimensions.
EU EcoSport

*Leather seats are part of the "X-Pack" on the EU EcoSport Titanium (see photo below), but is standard on the EcoSport Titanium in other markets.

B-Max

EcoSport side view (Lunar Sky Philippine-market model shown)

B-Max side view

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Maybe a the Fiesta & B-Max side by side will help those that do not see these vehicles in the flesh
http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/insert_main_image/public/3/39//fiesta-st-and-b-max.jpg?itok=K0KGNC5i

In this image you can see how much taller the EcoSport is when compared to a B class car (VW Polo)
View attachment 10506

Sorry I cannot find a live image of the B-Max side by side with the EcoSport.
But in real life the EcoSport looks like a baby Kuga/Escape size-wise.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C2942F66089D89E3CA257C2F007DD880#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/7/

B-Max & Fiesta are the same as the Focus & C-Max. Both easy to tell they are from the same low to the ground chassis's.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Sorry I cannot find a live image of the B-Max side by side with the EcoSport.

@MkII, check out my previous post with the EcoSport and B-Max side view photos.
They're not in one photo but both show them in roughly the same scale.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts