Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SYNC SPARKING SALES, SATISFYING CUSTOMERS​

By John Fossen, FCN

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 2, 2008 -- In 26 years of selling cars and trucks, Ken Venema says he has never seen a feature impress customers like Ford's SYNCTM.

"I must have a half-dozen sales because of SYNC. I strongly believe that," said Venema, a sales consultant at Pfeiffer Lincoln Mercury in Grand Rapids, Mich. "I'm sold on it. And I'm sure glad Ford's got it."

The dealership even switched its radio spots recently from advertising price to promoting SYNC.

"I am using (SYNC) as a showroom builder. I am pumped on it because it's something that we can offer the market that doesn't focus on price, and it's something we have that our competitors don't," said Kim Winkler, new car sales manager, Pfeiffer Lincoln Mercury.

SYNC, Ford's industry-exclusive technology that provides customers in-vehicle voice command compatibility with portable digital media players and most Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones, is helping drive vehicles sales across the country.

SYNC-equipped Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles were moving more than twice as fast off dealer lots in November than those same vehicles without SYNC. And customer satisfaction is high.

According to a Ford survey of SYNC customers, nearly 80 percent of respondents "definitely would" recommend it to a friend. Microsoft, which collaborated with Ford on the technology, was very encouraged.

"It's early in SYNC's launch -- we'll know more about its impact in a few months -- but so far all indicators are extraordinarily positive," explained John Emmert, SYNC marketing manager, Ford Motor Company.

The survey also revealed that most customers thought SYNC was easy to use, and that dealers were helpful in explaining and demonstrating the new technology.

Sales consultant Everton McLeod of Manhattan (N.Y.) Ford says extensive in-dealership training prior to SYNC'S launch was very beneficial.

"It wasn't like they just told us about it. Everybody had to do something -- pair a phone, dial a number -- so the instructor could see that we actually grasped what he taught us," said McLeod.

SYNC is also hitting its targeted customers, which include a savvy, tech-toting younger demographic as well as an older group that likes the convenience of hands-free mobile phone operation.

Emmert says Ford employees frequently stop him at work to relate stories about SYNC's ability to raise awareness and purchase consideration for the company's products among relatives and friends who swore off domestic vehicles years ago.

"When you think about a feature having the power to put Ford back on customers' shopping lists, it's pretty impressive," he said.

SYNC currently is offered on 12 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models. The first SYNC-equipped vehicles, including the redesigned 2008 Ford Focus, began reaching customers in late September. When offered as an option, the system is priced at $395.

SOURCE

·
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
60 Posts
I really like the concept. I just wouldn't give up an OnStar-equipped GM vehicle for such a feature. Afterall, safety first.

·
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
60 Posts
sync has some great surprises in store for it's next upgrade, which I think will be in the summer.

What kills me in those onstar commercials is when people pay so much money to have onstar unlock their doors for them. One word: keypad!!!!
:rolleyes:
Can the Keypad call paramedics if your airbags deploy? Can the Keypad give you directions? Can the Keypad track your vehicle if it's stolen? Can the Keypad e-mail you if your tire pressure is low? Can the Keypad do a diagnostic test on the vehicle and report any error codes? Can the Keypad tell you the phone number of that Chinese restaurant on 7th street? Can the Keypad automatically call your emergency contact if something happens to you?

But it unlocks doors, right.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far back as 2003 GM was selling cars on the promises of OnStar when they new the systems wouldn't be operative. So people like Adele Rothman of Scarsdale, N.Y. are OnStar-less now in her Saab . I guess she would at least like to have a Key Pad now. STORY

Audi dumped OnStar for a reason . . .

·
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
60 Posts
As far back as 2003 GM was selling cars on the promises of OnStar when they new the systems wouldn't be operative. So people like Adele Rothman of Scarsdale, N.Y. are OnStar-less now in her Saab . I guess she would at least like to have a Key Pad now. STORY

Audi dumped OnStar for a reason . . .
Boo-hoo, a five-year old car has obsolete technology?? GOSH!

What did Ford have in 2003? We're talking about 2008, and OnStar is a service system while Sync is an entertainment system. It's stupid to be calling OnStar out for a government mandate-related issue when Ford doesn't have anything similar.

Sync is compelling, but it's not enough to give up the safety net that OnStar provides.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boo-hoo, a five-year old car has obsolete technology?? GOSH!

What did Ford have in 2003? We're talking about 2008, and OnStar is a service system while Sync is an entertainment system. It's stupid to be calling OnStar out for a government mandate-related issue when Ford doesn't have anything similar.
They should have disclosed that the OnStar would be useless in 5 years, if they did she and many others wouldn't be complaining.

Government mandate my foot, digital cellular technology has been around in the US, for more than ten years. Running OnStar on an analog platform until 2004 while digital technology was more than available and waiting until the last minute to migrate to digital is just C H E A P. This is not TV we are talking about, you know!

Sync is compelling, but it's not enough to give up the safety net that OnStar provides.
Boo hoo, you said?

·
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
60 Posts
When sync does what onstar does, and it will, then how can onstar charge money? Or, they stop. Nothing to laugh at there.
First of all, if it's an exclusive Ford product, it's not going to make OnStar go away. It's not like it's something that a buyer of a Chevy can choose over OnStar, they'd have to completely switch brands. The only way OnStar is going away is if GM goes out of business.

Mercedes and BMW also have a telematics system. Will they suddenly become obsolete and disappear, too?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First of all, if it's an exclusive Ford product, it's not going to make OnStar go away. It's not like it's something that a buyer of a Chevy can choose over OnStar, they'd have to completely switch brands. The only way OnStar is going away is if GM goes out of business.

Mercedes and BMW also have a telematics system. Will they suddenly become obsolete and disappear, too?
No, but their customers will at least wonder why are these people charging us while Ford has a way cooler system and charges nothing.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/04/ces-08-preview-ford-to-show-sync-2-0-in-dash-hd-and-cheap-gas/

From link above:

"Though GM's Rick Wagoner nabbed the honor of giving this year's keynote address at next week's 2008 CES Show in Las Vegas, Ford may grab the headlines with a suite of new in-car entertainment, navigation and communication technologies that it plans to implement across its brands in the near future. First up will be the second version of its popular SYNC interface, details of which are scant. Considering that the SYNC system's capabilities are already robust, we're not sure what else they can add to it and are eager to find out.

Ford will also be showing off its new SIRIUS Travel Link nav system, which gets updated in real time with all sorts of info from the SIRIUS satellites. Drivers can call up instant traffic data, weather, sports scores and movie showings, as well as plot a course to the gas station with cheapest fuel prices.

Finally, Ford will have its new navigation system sourced from Xanavi on display with what we believe is a ginormous 7.5-inch touchscreen and an in-dash hard drive that can store up to 2,400 songs. Hopefully it will also have the capacity to pause and rewind live radio like Cadillac's system in the CTS. We've already seen the Xanavi system's new, larger screen in images of the upcoming 2009 Lincoln MKS sedan, a car that's slated to be fitted with the gamut of Ford's new in-car technologies when it goes on sale this summer.

Keep your eyes on Autoblog early next week for when we start our coverage of the 2008 CES Show from Las Vegas. We'll have more details on what Ford and the rest of the auto industry has to offer in the way of electronics for the coming year. "

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
wingsnut-quoting-Autoblog said:
Finally, Ford will have its new navigation system sourced from Xanavi on display with what we believe is a ginormous 7.5-inch touchscreen and an in-dash hard drive that can store up to 2,400 songs. Hopefully it will also have the capacity to pause and rewind live radio like Cadillac's system in the CTS. We've already seen the Xanavi system's new, larger screen in images of the upcoming 2009 Lincoln MKS sedan, a car that's slated to be fitted with the gamut of Ford's new in-car technologies when it goes on sale this summer.

could this be it?

from (I think)
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9839857-1.html
via
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts