Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
...the Model 3 generates more revenue in CA than the F150 (and anything else, for that matter) The Model Y should sell faster than the Model 3. These are sign posts.
nice try,
California is roughly 50% of all Tesla's US sales while it accounts for just over 6% of Ford's sales. There is a mighty big sales engine with very deep pockets sitting behind those comparatively small California sales.
The top five states for F Series sales are Texas, California, Florida Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.....yet those still only account for barely 35% of F Series sales.

Tesla won’t overtake F overnight, or probably even over the next decade, but stop clasping your hands over your ears and saying “I’m not listening, I’m not listening.”
This is the in-between time the "false war" if you like where Jim Hackett is spending Billions and arranging JVs with VW and Rivian as well as Ford working on its own BEVs. It's not like Ford is sitting back doing nothing.

Tesla, regardless of your personal distaste, is THE driving force in the industry right now and forcing every manufacturer to respond, whether they possess the technical institutional knowledge or not. BMW is in turmoil. Their reluctance to invest in EV could very well be the destruction of the brand.
Your info is out of date...
BMW has accelerated its rollout of electric cars, in a bid to convince investors it is capable of catching rivals in the race to sell battery vehicles. The company will release 25 fully electric or hybrid models by 2023, two years earlier than previously announced, it said on Tuesday.Jun 25, 2019
BMW accelerates rollout of electric cars to catch up with rivals ...

https://www.ft.com/content/79199870-96bf-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229
This **** is real. It isn’t some flash in the pan. The world really is changing and moving away from ICE. I think F understands this and is preparing, unlike BMW, unlike Toyota, unlike Honda.
There's a difference in manufacturers not offering BEVs now
and having no strategies for the future as well as contingency plans.

Tesla is way out in front with its rollout of vehicles but that means little until the competition shows up and starts to grind on you and I don't mean Ford or even GM, I'm talking about the Koreans, they're the dark horse here.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The EV market is soo marginal ... I don´t know how someone here is capable to say the Germans are suffering for the Tesla competition. BMW, a company that produce EVs, but is not its priority righ now, loss the luxury sales crown to..... surprise....(not Tesla)... to Mercedes-Benz, another automaker that is starting to produce EVs, but is not its priority. The 3 series sedans , and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and the Audi A4 are losing sales to.... not EVs!.... to Crossovers! The Electric sedan are a complete different market that is growning, but is different. Is like to compare the sales of the apples with oranges... are differents markets for different customers. But, maybe, this is too complex for some teen brain here.

BMW and Mercedes-Benz are right not to leave the ICE because the EV market is too small. In 2018 , the EVs market share was .... prepare to this...... 2%! . 2% of all cars sold arround the world. 2%. TWO PERCENT!
And from those huge (>:)) market of EVs , Tesla is the leader, by a gigantic :)clap::clap:) margin: less than 20000 units!. The second brand in the list of the best seller EVs is the chinese BYD. And I want to see the charts when VW start to sell a massive amount of EVs ( a crazy decision IMO...) in 2021, along with the introduction of true electric luxury cars from BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi and Jaguar. Is the EV market big enough for all those competitors? Will Tesla keep the "leadership" of EV market with that strong competition?. IMO, not.

here the link: https://medium.com/@braydeng/2018-was-a-huge-year-for-electric-vehicles-in-charts-b6aad055bdff

·
Registered
543 Posts
...the Model 3 generates more revenue in CA than the F150 (and anything else, for that matter) The Model Y should sell faster than the Model 3. These are sign posts.
nice try,
California is roughly 50% of all Tesla's US sales while it accounts for just over 6% of Ford's sales. There is a mighty big sales engine with very deep pockets sitting behind those comparatively small California sales.
The top five states for F Series sales are Texas, California, Florida Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.....yet those still only account for barely 35% of F Series sales.

Tesla won’t overtake F overnight, or probably even over the next decade, but stop clasping your hands over your ears and saying “I’m not listening, I’m not listening.”
This is the in-between time the "false war" if you like where Jim Hackett is spending Billions and arranging JVs with VW and Rivian as well as Ford working on its own BEVs. It's not like Ford is sitting back doing nothing.

Tesla, regardless of your personal distaste, is THE driving force in the industry right now and forcing every manufacturer to respond, whether they possess the technical institutional knowledge or not. BMW is in turmoil. Their reluctance to invest in EV could very well be the destruction of the brand.
Your info is out of date...
BMW has accelerated its rollout of electric cars, in a bid to convince investors it is capable of catching rivals in the race to sell battery vehicles. The company will release 25 fully electric or hybrid models by 2023, two years earlier than previously announced, it said on Tuesday.Jun 25, 2019
BMW accelerates rollout of electric cars to catch up with rivals ...

https://www.ft.com/content/79199870-96bf-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229
This **** is real. It isn’t some flash in the pan. The world really is changing and moving away from ICE. I think F understands this and is preparing, unlike BMW, unlike Toyota, unlike Honda.
There's a difference in manufacturers not offering BEVs now
and having no strategies for the future as well as contingency plans.

Tesla is way out in front with its rollout of vehicles but that means little until the competition shows up and starts to grind on you and I don't mean Ford or even GM, I'm talking about the Koreans, they're the dark horse here.
...you are mistaken if you believe you are bringing me any new info. BMW is rolling out “electrification,” meaning mainly PHEVs. Essentially every model will have a PHEV. Count up your models. There is the vast majority of models. The only BEVs BMW actually has pipelined is the iNext(3ser) and iX3. All other models will be shared platforms with ICE models, which means cramming batteries wherever there is space. VAG, alternately, built an entire EV specific platform that allows for a wide range of models.

BMW is behind. There is no arguing about it. Even BMW’s board knows it, and that is why ol’ Harald was put out to pasture. Judge by deeds not words. Firing your CEO is not a sign that the company is sailing in smooth waters.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, nothing says "incredible car strategy" like a CEO that violates SEC rules with tweets, and whose own board wants to forbid him from public statements.

All for a stack of blobbish, battery-stuffed fire hazards who have about the same frontal styling as a flat wall with a single, plain window.

Hey, I do get it...BEVs are more and more obviously the next trend, albeit one that, like autonomous cars, will be slower to truly arrive than everyone speculated. This reminds me of when hybrids were supposedly going to render typical ICE vehicles moot. Did a switch flick? Nope, they're slowing getting more integrated.

So shall it be with BEVs. Tesla's numbers are completely unexciting compared to most of the car market, and his bizarre behaviors will hurt more than they have if he's not reined in.

I really don't wish anything ill on ol' Elon, and I think he'll go down as very important to BEV evolution among other things...but his car brand is much more hype than real market force, and the complete smoke-and-mirrors act that was the ramp-up to this point has been brutalized by reality...just as other brands' BEV programs are truly coming online.

On Top Gear the other night, one of the presenters posited that Elon would opt out of the car biz once the competition got too thick, but instead make money being a battery/charger merchant to the BEV market. I'm not certain that I agree, but I wouldn't be shocked by that outcome.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
https://electrek.co/2019/07/22/tesla-revolutionary-wiring-architecture-robots-model-y/

Tesla has revealed its revolutionary new wiring architecture that enables more robot automation in the manufacturing process and uses fewer materials for its upcoming cars like Model Y and Tesla Pickup truck.

CEO Elon Musk said that one of their biggest mistakes with their attempt at highly automating the production of the Model 3 was trying to automate tasks that humans are much better at than robots, like manipulating cables.

In order to facilitate the automation of manipulating cables, Tesla has been reducing the length of wiring harnesses in its vehicles.

Musk said that Model S has about 3 kilometers of wiring harnesses and Tesla brought it down to 1.5 kilometers in length for the Model 3.

But that’s just the beginning. Tesla is working on a whole new wiring architecture for future vehicle platforms and they aim to bring it down to just 100 meters starting with the Model Y.

In a new patent application that recently became public and was obtained by Electrek, Tesla revealed the first details of this new wiring architecture:

“In this new wiring architecture, subsystems are packaged and defined in one or multiple assemblies in certain embodiments. For example, a door assembly might contain one controller (or hub) that controls multiple devices, such as locking components, lighting components, audio components, etc. In addition to decreasing the number and length of wiring needed, the ability to create these subassemblies and then connect them to the wiring-architecture backbone will decrease assembly time during general assembly, which is very desirable to increase productivity in a vehicle manufacturing process. The subassembly may be created ahead of general assembly with only the connection between the door subassembly and subsystem made and verified during general assembly.”

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
https://electrek.co/2019/07/23/tesla-giant-machine-produce-model-y-body-one-piece/

Tesla is working on several significant manufacturing improvements for the Model Y production program and it includes building a giant new casting machine to produce a big part of the Model Y frame in one single piece.

We have been reporting on how Tesla plans to simplify the design of its future vehicle platforms and achieve greater automation in the manufacturing process.

Yesterday, we reported on how Tesla is working on a revolutionary new wiring architecture to help robots build upcoming cars like the Model Y.

In an interview earlier this year, CEO Elon Musk also said that Tesla is moving to an aluminum casting design instead of a series of stamped steel and aluminum pieces for the Model Y body:

“When we get the big casting machine, it’ll go from 70 parts to 1 with a significant reduction in capital expenditure on all the robots to put those parts together.”

Now a new patent application reveals this new casting machine that Tesla plans to use to build Model Y.

The patent is for what Tesla calls a “Multi-Directional Unibody Casting Machine for a Vehicle Frame and Associated Methods.”

Tesla describes the problems that come with the die casting process in vehicle manufacturing today:

“Typically, in the context of vehicle frame manufacturing and the die casting process, multiple die casting machines are each used to cast different components of a vehicle frame. For example, a single die casting machine cell in a factory may be dedicated to casting a single frame component. These components from each casting machine are then assembled or secured together (e.g., via welding) by factory workers or robotic systems to form a vehicle frame (e.g., a unibody vehicle frame). Because die casting generally involves higher capital costs relative to other casting and manufacturing processes including assembly of many individual components (e.g., due to high costs of casting equipment and metal dies), there remains a need for an improved die casting machine and associated methods thereof, particularly as related to casting a vehicle frame to reduce work required to achieve a final assembled product.”

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
https://electrek.co/2019/07/23/tesla-rumor-battery-factory-indonesia/

Tesla is rumored to be working on some sort of battery factory in Indonesia, according to comments made by a local official.

Local news in Indonesia is reporting that the country’s Maritime Affairs Coordinating Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan is stating that Tesla is amongst several companies looking to build battery manufacturing facilities in Indonesia’s Morowali Industrial Park (IMIP) in Central Sulawesi.

Antara News reported (in a poorly translated article):

“CATL (Contemporary Amperex Technology) is the one that entered Morowali, then it and LG were the major players. Tesla also joined it, but how much, I did not know… I do not know about Tesla’s role, as their consortium is the one regulating it,”

CATL, the largest battery manufacturer for electric vehicles in China, is apparently in the most advanced stages of the project, but LG and Tesla are also involved, according to the official.

Pandjaitan added:

“Maybe (if it is completed) in the next three years. My batteries in the next three years would have become better, maybe faster. I think it must be the biggest because we are all, and our costs are cheaper because of the costs,”

·
Registered
5,007 Posts

This confirm my affirmation that Tesla sell cars because are EVs, not because are luxury cars. Tell that Tesla compete with luxury cars is a mistake. Tesla compete with others EVs, with a high price. That will change in 2 years when VW starts to produce EVs like hotcakes... The EVs will need to offer much more than electric propulsion to have a high price.

·
Registered
543 Posts

This confirm my affirmation that Tesla sell cars because are EVs, not because are luxury cars. Tell that Tesla compete with luxury cars is a mistake. Tesla compete with others EVs, with a high price. That will change in 2 years when VW starts to produce EVs like hotcakes... The EVs will need to offer much more than electric propulsion to have a high price.
...like, maybe, hmmm...something like self-driving. I’m sure Tesla will figure something out.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
^

Quite the loss streak they are on.
... FCF is up drastically, though. Their loss discounting restructuring & currency was $200m out of 100,000 cars. That is $2k margin. Tesla has stated the cost to build a Y is the same or less than the 3, which means margins should be +5k, given price difference, minimum. China’s 3 will also be margin++.

Really not a whole lot to worry about. Organic demand has remained strong. And remember that FSD is potentially $6k/unit on 100% margin, if they can get it figured out.

Still a long row to hoe, but the numbers actually were reasonable, if slightly disappointing. The cuts to make up for loss of tax credit definitely are hurting profits (the last cut amounts to 50% of the $2k unit loss, alone). Congress needs to even the field again so they aren’t giving an advantage to foreign competitors.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
... FCF is up drastically, though. Their loss discounting restructuring & currency was $200m out of 100,000 cars. That is $2k margin. Tesla has stated the cost to build a Y is the same or less than the 3, which means margins should be +5k, given price difference, minimum. China’s 3 will also be margin++.

Really not a whole lot to worry about. Organic demand has remained strong. And remember that FSD is potentially $6k/unit on 100% margin, if they can get it figured out.

Still a long row to hoe, but the numbers actually were reasonable, if slightly disappointing. The cuts to make up for loss of tax credit definitely are hurting profits (the last cut amounts to 50% of the $2k unit loss, alone). Congress needs to even the field again so they aren’t giving an advantage to foreign competitors.
Most that live in the ICE world and only have 100 years of history doing the same, with no technological leaps besides shifting from steam to ICE, what Tesla is doing is difficult for them to process while defending the past. They are unable to comprehend that new technology like EVs, require new technology like battery cells and new manufacturing technology, none of which can be borrowed from century old ICE industry successfully. Each of those technology advancements for Tesla has leaped over ICE capabilities, no matter how big they are with old ICE technology.

Profitability with EVs require massive volume, just as ICE manufacturing requires volume. The difference is ICE manufacturing reuses old ICE technology with minor updates to the same ICE technology. Looking at Tesla, not only are they pioneering and years ahead in battery cell manufacturing, but cell chemistry, and about to make another leap with their own technology and manufacturing process. Then there is manufacturing where even the German automakers had to admit that Tesla was more advanced than they thought possible, and the Germans had to restart their processes in an attempt to catch up with Tesla's manufacturing processes. Tesla is leaping once again with in car wiring manufacturing along with full body molding that's expected to launch with the Y in production now. And we have not touched on the major software advancements that has Tesla years and years ahead of anything the ICE manufacturers are capable of doing today.

Then there is sales and distribution that again offers ICE a look at the future of auto purchase and service with no haggle pricing, online ordering and home/office delivery and service...globally.

Looking at volume....for 2019 400k units globally. China has a 500k capacity with 2020 targeted for ~800k units globally with G4 in Europe set to go live in 2021. To put this in perspective, Ford sold ~1.5 million vehicles in 2018 with ~1k being F-Series trucks. This means by end of 2019, Tesla will almost sell as many cars/suv as 100 year old Ford did, and in 2020 outsell Ford's car/cuv/suv business. And this is wile earning massive ~25%+ margin, selling EVs that are easier to build when you know what you are doing, faster to produce, and less expensive for the consumer long term. And I haven't even talked about the tremendous lead in full self driving Tesla has over the entire automotive industry globally. No one comes even close...

As far as the stock market is concerned, I see every dip as an opportunity to buy more shares...because future growth is going to be phenomenal.

41 - 60 of 123 Posts