Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

After a long wait, Tesla has finally unveiled the Model 3. It's what we were expecting (and hoping for) – a less-expensive, versatile, attractive 5-seater with decent range and a low price. It rounds out Tesla's revised Secret Master Plan, as Elon Musk cheekily called it, that started with the Roadster, progressed to the Model S, and grew to encompass the Model X.

That's all fine, but did you catch how many preorders Musk said the company had received for the Model 3 by this evening? 115,000 – a staggering number. If you'll remember, each reservation to purchase a Model 3 requires a $1,000 (refundable) deposit.

Here's the other stuff you should really know about Tesla's entry-level electric vehicle. For one, Musk promises it'll ace every safety test category. All will be standard with Autopilot hardware (autonomous driving functionality) and Supercharging (very fast recharging) capability.

It'll also seat five real adults in comfort, as Tesla has squashed the instrument panel a bit and moved the front seats forward to clear rear legroom. To give a sense of airiness to the cabin, and also to gain some extra headroom, it'll have a roof that's a single continuous pane of glass. Neat. In case you surf, it'll swallow a 7-foot surfboard, apparently.

When Musk went over range and acceleration, he made it clear he was talking about the bottom-tier Model 3. Other models, he promised, would go faster and further. As it sits, the "base" Model 3 will get at least 215 miles on a charge and hit 60 mph in less than 6 seconds. "We don't make slow cars," Musk quipped. Musk is fairly confident the Model 3 can be delivered by the end of next year at the $35,000 price point. You are probably aware that new Teslas don't always arrive on schedule, so take the timing with a grain of salt.

How many Model 3s does the company want to sell? Musk seemed confident that he could ramp up both the Californian vehicle assembly plant and the new Gigafactory lithium ion battery facility to produce a total of 500,000 vehicles a year, including the Model 3. That's a very ambitious figure, but considering the number of deposits placed before the car was even revealed, maybe you shouldn't bet against the man.
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/01/tesla-model-3-reveal-official/http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/01/tesla-model-3-reveal-official/

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I like it even with it not reaching the 300 mile range. My only problem is going forward, once the $7500 credit is gone this will be over $42500, not sure that math works for me at that point.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
$42,500 is what you pay tax, insurance and interest on when you finance it.
Yes, when available, the tax credit helps.

But I have to say, that is a lot of interest in this model. Personally, I would still rather have a PHEV that does not limit you to hundreds of miles.
Can’t wait to see what Ford is rolling out, but you can bet it will be competitive.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
saw elsewhere

Posted Today, 10:35 AM
Up to 180,000 orders in the past 24 hours for the Model 3.
Total EV and plug in hybrid sales in the USA in all of 2015 were 116,000. And 25,000 of those were from Tesla Model S.

imho (haven't researched yet) the qualities of Model 3 are Not the reason for the game-changing numbers

it's the Reputation/perception that Tesla has BUILT

and that's my reason for wishing FoMoCo had done more so far

it'll be interesting to see if "banking" their federal e-credits pays-off when they decide it's time

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Tesla's already booked 200,000 Model 3 orders

Yahoo/
Business Insider By Benjamin Zhang
4 hours ago

...(earlier) On Friday, Musk announced on Twitter that his company generated roughly 180,000 orders in 24 hours. Less than two hours later, he said that the total is closer to 200,000.

By Musk's math, 180,000 orders means that the automaker has booked about $7.5 billion in future sales. It's based on a price of $42,000 a car.

The car's base price is about $35,000, but it is expected to launch with versions that cost well above that.

Musk is, of course, making some assumptions there, namely about how many of those who placed deposits will actually buy the car when it's ready in 2017 or 2018.

Venture capitalist David Pakman, however, tweeted a different take that still leads to some impressive numbers. If the company books 200,000 preorders and actually sells cars to 70% of those buyers at the lowest-possible price, then it means the company has just locked in $4.9 billion in future sales, with little money spent on marketing.

And regardless of the eventual sell-through, what is already clear is that — with the 200,000 preorders that Musk announced — Tesla has raked in $200 million in interest-free cash...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
almost posted this in a sales thread but thought better of it..

TESLA

via
Hype Watch: You know the Model 3 doesn't exist yet, right?
LA Times

By Michael Hiltzik - April1, 2016

1. Musk's claims about the Model 3's performance and specification may be merely aspirational...

2. Previous Tesla models have been plagued with quality problems...

3. Customers may not be eligible for tax credits. Among the forces behind the acceptance of electric cars are government credits, including an IRS credit of up to $7,500 for Tesla vehicles such as the Model 3. The problem is that those credits start to disappear once a manufacturer has delivered 200,000 electric vehicles. That may well happen before the first Model 3's are placed in customers' hands; given Tesla's production forecasts for its Model X and Model S luxury cars, it's almost certain to happen very soon after Model 3 deliveries start. So calculations that the real list price of the new car is a competitive $27,500 rather than $35,000 may be way off.

That's important because ...

4. Competing all-electric vehicles will be reaching the market before the Model 3. Musk and his Tesla evangelism deserve some credit for promoting the electric car as a potential set of wheels for mainstream buyers. But this was more relevant years ago, before legacy American carmakers caught the EV bug. GM, for instance, is poised to start delivering its all-electric Chevy Bolt by the end of this year, with a rated range of more than 200 miles. The Bolt will list at $30,000 after the tax credit, which makes it look a tad more expensive than the Model 3. But according to GM, it will be on the market at least a year earlier.

5. Tesla's financial health is questionable...

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I like it even with it not reaching the 300 mile range. My only problem is going forward, once the $7500 credit is gone this will be over $42500, not sure that math works for me at that point.
$35k is BEFORE any tax incentives or rebates. So if the $7,500 credit is gone, the price is still $35k. However, if an individual earns less than $35,300, they can get a $4k state rebate, on top of what the fed offers.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
$35k is BEFORE any tax incentives or rebates. So if the $7,500 credit is gone, the price is still $35k.
Well ****, you just turned my frown upside down. Holy **** that Model 3 is spectacular coming in around $27500 until the incentives run out!!!!!

However, if an individual earns less than $35,300, they can get a $4k state rebate, on top of what the fed offers.
Not all states offer additional incentives, but if you live in one that does..... :surprise2:

It's a good thing for Chevy that the Model 3 will be a couple years behind and likely volume constrained for a while because the Bolt isn't in the same ballpark with this.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's nice, a little stubby, but overall nice. I love the minimalist interior, less clutter makes for clean lines and a very open feel. However, the Model S is the best overall offering Tesla has at present.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Purchasing a car like buying a not yet built condo from a developer on Roatan Island seems a weird way to buy a car that has no guarantee of ever making it into production.
Myself I would never consider such a vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I placed a reservation. I'm expecting more like 45-50k for the model I'll want with AWD and a 300mi range. And 2 years from now autopilot will no doubt be spectacular. Can't wait.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Tesla Model 3: channeling the original Mustang :cool:

Purchasing a car like buying a not yet built condo from a developer on Roatan Island seems a weird way to buy a car that has no guarantee of ever making it into production.
Myself I would never consider such a vehicle purchase.
imho it's more like joining a club ... or gym

...or a very low buy-in CrimmasClub
( I saw the Model X requires a $5k deposit )

&
anyone know (without googling) how many the original Mustang sold in its first 12 months
(&
saw last nite too late to post / not updated this morning...)
enGadget
Teslas Model 3 has already racked up 232,000 pre-orders

edit
forgot to say that IMHO,
that number will prolley be for at least 3 YEARS production

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

imho it's more like joining a club ... or gym

...or a very low buy-in CrimmasClub
( I saw the Model X requires a $5k deposit )

&
anyone know (without googling) how many the original Mustang sold in its first 12 months
(&
saw last nite too late to post / not updated this morning...)
enGadget
Teslas Model 3 has already racked up 232,000 pre-orders

edit
forgot to say that IMHO,
that number will prolley be for at least 3 YEARS production
Does Tesla have the capacity to deliver 232,000 Model 3, along with the capacity to keep delivery the S and X orders?

What is Tesla's assembly plant max production abilities?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Does Tesla have the capacity to deliver 232,000 Model 3, along with the capacity to keep delivery the S and X orders?

What is Tesla's assembly plant max production abilities?
I saw on TV 'news' last nite (Tesla is a local story here in gigafactory-land) that they recently contracted for more "floorspace" in their factory's "area".
Dunno how much of the old NUMMI factory they've been using but my understanding is it's a large plant (former GM/Toyleta joint endeavor) + as I said/implied above, I don't expect Tesla to TRY to build a regular assemblyplant's full/3-shift volume (300k min)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
via Perian @ GMI

C&D Employee Brings A Magnet To The Tesla 3 Unveiling...
Car & Driver

Aaron Robinson -April 1, 2016

...we don't have a whole lot more details about the Model 3.
Musk says the base model will have a 215-mile range and will accelerate from zero to 60
mph in less than six seconds. There also will be a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive version. He
also promises that it will achieve five-star crash-test ratings and that Autopilot hardware
will be standard. The company is otherwise being very stingy with the details. For
example, it won’t tell us the sizes of the available batteries or what the car is made out of.

The Model S and Model X are primarily aluminum, but that’s an expensive material and,
at the Model 3’s price, a tough cost challenge. Even so, during our brief test ride, we quietly
touched a small magnet to various outer panels, the inner doors, and the structural pillar
between the doors and got not a single quiver of attraction. A Tesla engineer told us the car
is a mix of steel and aluminum but refused to elaborate. Unless the prototypes we sat in
were made from nonproduction materials, there’s not much steel in that body...

- - - - - - -

I'm wondering if anyone thought about FIBERGLASS?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Model 3 orders are now up to 253,000

I think the Model 3 is about to disrupt the luxury sports sedan segment.

Safer, Faster, More Technologically Advanced and Zero gas when the competition uses the most expensive fuel available: Premium Unleaded.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I'm re-titling this article:
Why Everything about the Model 3 is WRONG
actual title=
"The Chevy Bolt has one gigantic advantage over the Tesla Model 3"

Yahoo/Business Insider
Matthew DeBord - 7 hours ago

...GM has something else going for it in the coming battle with Tesla.

It doesn't need to make money on the Bolt.

Tesla, by contrast, must make money on the Model 3.

Just one problem ...

...This sets up a nightmare scenario for Tesla. The Model 3 already looks as if it will be very successful...
...the cruel economics of the auto industry will make the Model 3 Tesla's least profitable vehicle. Of course, it will still have to build the Model 3, and it may even have to carve into Model S and Model X production to bring the Model 3 in on schedule....

1 - 20 of 117 Posts