Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
RE: Dash and steering wheel:

http://jalopnik.com/what-secret-is-elon-musk-keeping-about-the-interior-of-1768894123

What Secret Is Elon Musk Keeping About The Interior Of The Tesla Model 3?

Michael Ballaban
Today 2:41pm

We saw the unveiling of the Tesla Model 3 last week. Or rather, we thought we saw the unveiling. Everything looked great, especially the crazy futuristic interior. But Tesla CEO Elon Musk unleashed a series of cryptic tweets yesterday on the topic, and now we don’t know what to think.

It’s not like we’re surprised we’d be hearing more about the Model 3, either. Musk has said for a while that last week’s event was only “part one” of the car’s debut, and that a second part was coming. In the mould of legacy automakers, it’d be easy to guess what was in part two. Maybe a few trim levels, something toned down for production, even a hotter version of the base model, if we got really lucky.

Brandon Valvo ‎@BValvsRacing
@elonmusk The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to. That's the only thing I don't like about the car.
Follow
Elon Musk ✔ ‎@elonmusk
@BValvsRacing It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil
3:45 PM - 3 Apr 2016

Cosmin Davidoaia ‎@HBL_Cosmin
@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!
Follow
Elon Musk ✔ ‎@elonmusk
@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

Roman Pushkov ‎@iKrivetko
@elonmusk why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|
Follow
Elon Musk ✔ ‎@elonmusk
@iKrivetko that's not the real steering system
MORE AT LINK

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
There's a lot of similarity to the airline industry in Tesla's sales model, taking deposits for product that hasn't even completed the design stage, booking sales years in advance of delivery, no franchise dealers. Phenomenal if you can get away with it, I just wonder how long will the shine last for Tesla? Right now they're the big dog in a glamorous, popular industry with no true competition. Will they have built that Apple/BMW like aura by the time real competition begins changing the market more rapidly?

·
Registered
528 Posts
There's a lot of similarity to the airline industry in Tesla's sales model, taking deposits for product that hasn't even completed the design stage, booking sales years in advance of delivery, no franchise dealers. Phenomenal if you can get away with it, I just wonder how long will the shine last for Tesla? Right now they're the big dog in a glamorous, popular industry with no true competition. Will they have built that Apple/BMW like aura by the time real competition begins changing the market more rapidly?
No doubt they will need to normalize operations soon. I suppose Model S will be revealed with a more normal release timeline. I expect som degree of frenzy to continue for one more generation, but really ... good on them. Musk is a marketing genius, and they have earned this media / customer frenzy

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That's 325,000 people who're highly unlikely to be in the market for a Bolt. GM and their fanboys can dismiss this and talk about the long wait to get one but all of that just says to me that people are willing to pay more, be that in time waited, or cash outlay for something that's visually pleasing. I think to many companies got caught up in the Prius success and believed that style was a secondary consideration for hybrid byers. I that may be true to a point, but you also have to take into account Toyota buyers in general have proven to be accepting of styleless appliances, that in no way means the larger market is too.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
That's 325,000 people who're highly unlikely to be in the market for a Bolt. GM and their fanboys can dismiss this and talk about the long wait to get one but all of that just says to me that people are willing to pay more, be that in time waited, or cash outlay for something that's visually pleasing. I think to many companies got caught up in the Prius success and believed that style was a secondary consideration for hybrid byers. I that may be true to a point, but you also have to take into account Toyota buyers in general have proven to be accepting of styleless appliances, that in no way means the larger market is too.
I think a $35k car should look like a $35k car. It does not matter if a large chunk of the investment is going to the drivetrain. Because at the end of the day, it's just the drivetrain. No one looks at the drivetrain every day, or has to wash the drivetrain.

200+ miles or not, GM built a very expensive sub-compact that looks like $15k. Tesla is offering a 200 mile EV that looks like $35k, that also comes with the latest tech and Supercharger access. Win Tesla!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
like FoMoCo had Magna a very expensive sub-compact that looks EXACTLY like THEIR OWN $15k Focus...

...'course Ford didn't actually want to SELL ANY >:)
Personally I liked that they looked **** near identical to any other Focus rather than a bland egg Prius, half a loaf of bread Bolt, or just plain odd Volt.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
GMI News April 8, 2016
...(#4)...Odds to Collect the Federal Tax Credit

Unless the U.S. Congress grants an extension, the three biggest plug-in electrified vehicle (PEV) sellers in the U.S. – GM, Nissan, and Tesla – are approaching a 200,000 unit cap per manufacturer in the next couple of years or so. After that, the $7,500 potential benefit starts to fade, being cut to $3,750 for two quarters, then $1,875 for two quarters, then zero.

Between Tesla and GM, the Bolt will benefit by being first on sale. By the beginning of 2017 when Bolt sales are beginning, it’s estimated GM may have used about 123,000-130,000 federal credits, based on PEV sales projections by analyst Alan Baum plus known sales to date.

This could mean GM – splitting sales with Volt and Bolt and possibly other PEVs – may be able to sell only 30,000-50,000 Bolts eligible for the full $7,500 federal credit, depending on how things actually go – but Tesla buyers may be no better off.

Through March, Tesla has sold an estimated 71,610 units out of its 200,000. With Tesla’s 2016 guidance seeing an aggressive stretch goal of Model X and Model S sales, the company wants to increase global deliveries from under 52,000 last year to 80,000-90,000 or so this year.

If Tesla’s U.S. sales this year grow commensurately, that could mean somewhere in the low 40,000 range give or take a few thousand. Assuming continued growth for 2017, by end of that year when the Model 3 is projected, Tesla could have 40,000 more or less credits to split between the Model S, X and Model 3. Assuming Tesla is not late to production, odds are that fewer than 25,000 Model 3 buyers will get the full $7,500 credit before it tapers to half and half again for four quarters after the 200,000 is hit.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^...The difference between the Model S, X and 3 and the Bolt is that I know I would buy the Tesla with or without the tax credit, but the $37,500 Bolt......not.

Then again CA has new rules in place..

The new rules, adopted on July 1, outline that an individual making less than 300 percent of the Federal Poverty Limit ($35,310) or a family of three earning less than $60,270 are eligible for a $4,000 rebate for an EV (up from $2,500), $3,000 for a plug-in hybrid (up from $1,500), or $6,500 for a fuel-cell vehicle.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Model 3's sparse interior may be key to hitting cost, production targets
Automotive News

David Undercoffler - April 12, 2016

...Bringing the EV to market by the end of 2017, hitting its $35,000 target base price and doing all this at volumes the automaker never has achieved? It sounds, well, problematic.

But helping Tesla's cause is the remarkably straightforward interior design. There's no instrument panel in front of the driver. No tangible buttons or remote knobs, levers or touchpads controlling any screens built into the dashboard.

Instead, a single touch screen, 15 inches wide, protrudes from the center console. It controls nearly every ancillary function not related to driving the car...

...Musk promises that Tesla will announce more details on the Model 3 closer to its production date, in part two of the car's unveiling. That news "takes things to another level" the CEO said in a March 30 tweet.

Four days later, Musk tweeted that the lack of dashboard or head-up display will "make sense" at that point.

This secondary debut will include a look at the Model 3's production steering wheel and system, which wasn't shown at the car's launch in March.

"It feels like a spaceship," the SpaceX founder said in another tweet.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Tesla Skips a Step, Goes Straight to ‘Early Release’ Model 3s
TTAC

By Steph Willems on March 20, 2017

After deciding that its analytic tools are top-notch and will tell it everything it needs to know, Tesla is skipping the “beta” phase of the Model 3’s development cycle.

In a conference call to investors last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said the automaker doesn’t need to bother with that crop of pre-production models. Early release model 3s built on the company’s production assembly line — not specialty one-offs built in a corner of the shop — should be rolling by this week or next, he said.

Last month, Tesla halted production at its Fremont, California assembly plant to prepare for the Model 3. Starting February 20th, the plant went dark to upgrade its paint shop. There’s the tightest of timelines in play for the automaker’s upcoming “affordable” electric sedan, with deliveries scheduled to begin in the fourth quarter of this year.

By skipping this step, Tesla boosts its chances of meeting the production target date. Another benefit is money saved. There’s also a chance, or so Musk says, that consumers can expect the final product to be much more glitch-free than the problem-plagued early Model S and X. Thank the enhanced computerized scrutiny for that.

Of course, there’s also the possibility that a last-minute realization of a problem with those nearly-ready models could leave the company scrambling. With well over 300,000 reservations to fill from the get go, Tesla no doubt hopes for the rosier scenario.

[Source: Gas2] ...Source:
The Secret Tesla Investor Call To Which You Were Not Invited
Seeking Alpha

Anton Wahlman - Mar.17.17

Summary
• Whether Bull or Bear, you should be invited to investor calls where material things about the business are discussed.
• That is nothing different in nature than the quarterly earnings calls. Imagine if only a select group of investors were invited to those calls?
• From Twitter to Reddit to multiple web sites, the contents of the call were discussed and considered controversial and newsworthy.
• If nothing material was discussed on this call, why did all of these outlets bother debating, discussing and reporting on it?
• On the call, did Tesla change the Model 3 development procedure (skipping “Beta” in favor of “release candidate”) and caution about “force majeure?”.

During Thursday, March 16, in the middle of the trading day, information started appearing on my desk suggesting that Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) was on an investor call talking about important things. I quickly jumped to Tesla's Investor Relations web page, but there was nothing there.

First, there was the Twitter feed from @WallStCynic. This person claims to be on the call and is live-tweeting it.

Look at not only just the original Tweets, but also at "tweets and replies" for numerous indications that material items were discussed by Tesla's management on the call. Here is a good example. However, if you scroll up and down, you will find numerous others of equally good value, with the commentary flowing well into March 17.

Quoting from that Twitter feed, here are a couple of the bullet points discussed:

• "Model 3 production could be lower than expected due to a 'force majeure event'"

• "It actually sounded to us that there may not be ANY Model 3 in 2017."

Any ONE of those things would be material. All of them combined? Slam dunk.

Further bolstering the record of what transpired on the call, just look at this Reddit feed by someone who looks to have been taking notes during the call.

As you can see in the comments to that Reddit feed, multiple people are complaining about not having access to that selective investor call. In addition, as to the substance of what was said on the call, this is an example of a pointed comment: "Or 'going straight to release candidate' means we ran out of time, and customers are going to drive beta cars."

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Model 3 launch quite simply can ill afford to be anything but exemplary in every way. A launch debacle could in many ways pave the way for Tesla's demise.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts