·
Registered
5,933 Posts
No Model 3 in 2017 would be a disaster if true

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
No Model 3 in 2017 would be a disaster if true
I've never expected them to make their deadline. I told this to a friend of mine the day they had the Model 3 presentation and first showed it off.

We might see a handful come out of the factory just so they can say that they've met their deadline of starting production, but "normal" production (I know it'd be a ramp up either way, so I don't mean full production) won't be happening when they intended.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Tesla would rebound so fast from a failed model 3 launch, that even Dwight Howard would be jealous.

What, are we kidding here? We are talking about a beloved brand that walks on water as good or better than Apple.
Exactly - like I was saying, they'll spit out a few to say "we made it!!" And everyone will applaud and say how great Tesla is, and then real deliveries of them will come next year.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It appears to me that there are many who have not perused Tesla very closely, and read some of their forward looking statements. The latest round of funding was predicated on the basis of Model 3 sales because quite frankly they are not experiencing liquidity on the back of their current model range.

They truly need to start fulfilling Model 3 orders on time in order to hold true to what was promised to investors, and shareholders. Tesla however is known for turning the Model S launch debacle into a strength, and I believe that Elon Musk can spin even a mediocre 2017 launch although no car at all in 2017 may be far more difficult to put in a good light.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Tesla Model III: spend less, get less :thumb:

Elon Musk Clarifies Tesla Model 3 Won’t Outperform Model S
The Truth About Cars

By Sam McEachern on March 25, 2017

Tesla founder Elon Musk recently cleared the air in regards to the automaker’s upcoming Model 3 sedan, telling his Twitter followers the more budget friendly Tesla won’t outperform the Model S.

Musk said in a Tweet that some of his less informed followers think the Model 3 is the next-generation of Tesla cars, similar to iPhone 2 vs. iPhone 3, when it will actually undercut the Model S and be sold alongside the full-size sedan. He added that the Model 3 is “just a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S,” with less range, power and fewer features.

The outspoken CEO also revealed the Model 3 will be sold in rear-wheel drive format only at first, citing the desire to minimize configuration complexity to help keep the production launch on schedule. Customers that put down a pre-order deposit on the Model 3 that want all-wheel drive will be first in line to get the dual motor car when it’s released, which likely be in 6 to 9 months.

Earlier this week Musk said Tesla intends to skip the “beta” test phase of the Model 3’s development cycle and will go straight to “early release” versions. This move will save Tesla money and will also help it meet its tight production launch schedule, but it could backfire if those “early release” cars turn out to be problematic. Musk is confident, however, and believes the Model 3 will be much less glitchy at launch than the Model S and Model X.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It appears to me that there are many who have not perused Tesla very closely, and read some of their forward looking statements. The latest round of funding was predicated on the basis of Model 3 sales because quite frankly they are not experiencing liquidity on the back of their current model range.

They truly need to start fulfilling Model 3 orders on time in order to hold true to what was promised to investors, and shareholders. Tesla however is known for turning the Model S launch debacle into a strength, and I believe that Elon Musk can spin even a mediocre 2017 launch although no car at all in 2017 may be far more difficult to put in a good light.
I don't know if you're referring to me, but I know they need to start fulfilling Model 3 orders on time, but I'm uncertain they will, at least at the intended volume at first.

Reactions: germeezy1

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I really like the looks, which is very much like S. The dash is horrid however.
I have to agree. I like the exterior (thought I think the front would benefit from having the same horizontal chrome bar with the Tesla badge like the S and X have), but the interior doesn't look good....it at least needs a true gauge cluster.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
This is it, the new Tesla Model 3 in the flesh
Motor1.com

By: Eric Loveday, Editor - Apr 06, 2017

...the first Model 3s to be delivered will all be rear-wheel-drive examples. The dual-motor, AWD 3s might just make it into the hands of owners by the end of 2017. As for range, Tesla CEO Elon Musk made a few recent comments on that topic as well. According to Musk, the maximum battery capacity for the Model 3 will be 75 kWh. That pack will provide the 3 with more electric range than the 238-mile Chevrolet Bolt.

There’s been some recent, rather heated discussion on topic of HUD and a central-to-driver speedometer in the Model 3 too. The Tesla Model 3 is expected to enter production this July with volume deliveries coming perhaps as soon as September. Full pricing details should be announced on or around June 2, which is our guesstimate date for Part 3 of the Model 3 reveal...

&
pre-swiped by VinceBurlapp

VS the 'concept':

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I definitely do not object to Tesla's inclination to bypass automotive design norms. A big screen not obstructed by the steering wheel seems ideal to me. I still think it's bizarre that gauges are still behind the steering wheel when I've spent most of my life not having a clear view of them because I'm too tall. Disruption is good!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I would have to agree that a Model 3 is a compelling vehicle, and a very inexpensive way to appease the early adopters on a budget. At $35,000 without tax credit I will probably purchase one simply because it makes so much sense economically.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Where'd you find the configurator?
viewing where the image came from (tho not re-finding that one yet) led me to
Tesla Model 3 Design Studio will initially have choice of color and wheel size
Teslarati.com (forum)
- By Gene - Posted on June 6, 2017

Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed new details about the upcoming Model 3 Design Studio, saying that it will go online by the end of July and the initial version of the configurator will be very simple. The announcement made by the serial tech entrepreneur during the Q&A portion of the 2017 Tesla Shareholder Meeting was in response to a question asked on Twitter by Wade King: “When will the model 3 configurator go live?”

“Definitely on track to deliver the first Model 3 next month.” said Musk, adding “We’ll have the configurator go live right at that point.”

However, Musk told the audience of Tesla shareholders not to expect a whole lot of Model 3 configurable options in the beginning, citing that it was a big mistake to roll out Model X with as many configurations as they did.

Musk says that having a limited number of configurable options for its first mass market electric car in the beginning is “critical to achieving a rapid production ramp”. The initial version of the Model 3 Design Studio will have options to select paint color and wheel size. Musk did not mention anything about battery pack capacities which is expected to come in two sizes: a 60 kWh battery and a longer range 75 kWh pack.

“It’s kinda gonna be like what color do you want, and what size do you want? That’s basically gonna be the configurator” says Musk about the upcoming Model 3 Design Studio. Tesla’s recent specifications sheet comparing Model S vs. Model 3 revealed the choice of an 18″ or 19″ wheel for Model 3.

Initial buyers of the single motor RWD version of Model 3 will be given a limited number of choices to select from, but those looking for the dual motor variant and Performance version of Model 3 will eventually be able to see it within the Design Studio. Musk indicated that dual motor versions will not arrive until, optimistically, at the end of the year but more likely in the beginning of 2018.

“We’ll show what other versions are coming later as soon as we get configuration 1 right but with a timeline for each configuration.” said Musk. “I wouldn’t worry too much about the configurator. Because all you have to decide is what color do you want, and what size wheels.”
Electrek.co

pic^ from 'nother article
=surprise:
"
...VIP event...a rare Q&A session with Tesla Design Executive Franz von Holzhausen", FORMERLY of MAZDA!!
:surprise2:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
weird trunk opening

Reactions: 2b2
41 - 60 of 117 Posts