Ford Inside News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may require subscription >> which is FREE Today...

Tesla Model III to start at $35,000, compete with BMW 3 series - AutomotiveNews
staff and wire reports
July 16, 2014
UPDATED: 7/16/14 12:57 pm ET -- adds price, details

Tesla Motors Inc. said Tuesday that its lower-priced successor to the Model S sedan and upcoming Model X crossover, expected to go on sale in 2017, will be named the Model III.

The Model 3 will start at $35,000 -- half the starting price the Model S – and compete with the BMW 3 series.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said the new car will have a driving range of about 200 miles on a full charge. Musk has also said the new vehicle will be about the same size as the 3 Series.

The name, pronounced "Model Three", was revealed Tuesday in a report by British magazine Auto Express. The publication quoted Tesla CEO Elon Musk as saying he originally intended to call the car the “Model E,” but changed plans after Ford Motor Co. claimed rights to the name.

Tesla confirmed the report Tuesday on its official Twitter account.

The company could unveil the Model III as soon as the 2015 Detroit auto show...

...Jack Nerad, an analyst for Kelley Blue Book, said, "A versatile, usable all-electric car at $35,000 would be a hit in the marketplace, but an important key to versatility and usability is range. If Tesla Motors can figure out the range issue and the associated charging time/charging station issue, they will strike gold."

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tesla "Model III" targets 3-series - AutoExpress.co.UK

Tesla Model 3 to challenge BMW 3 Series - World Exclusive - AutoExpress.co.UK
16 Jul, 2014
Steve Fowler

Tesla to challenge the compact exec elite with all-electric Tesla Model 3. Gen III car on sale in 2017 with possible UK engineering input...

...Musk told us... “The new model is going to be called Model 3, we’ll have three bars to represent it and it’ll be S III X!”...

...The new Model 3 is set to be unveiled in 2016 and on sale by 2017. It's most likely to be based on an all-new platform rather than a cut-down version of the one underpinning the Model S and Model X. The new technology will be the brainchild of Tesla’s British engineering chief Chris Porritt, who used to work with Aston Martin...

...The new car is rumoured to be about 20% smaller than the Model S and our image shows how it could look. Key to the new model, which Musk said should retail for around $35,000 (likely to equate to around £30,000 in the UK), is cheaper battery technology made possible by Tesla’s forthcoming Gigafactory...

...As with the Model S and the upcoming Model X, the Model 3 will come with free use of Tesla’s Supercharger network, which Musk said will enable Tesla owners to drive the length and breadth of the UK by the end of 2015. And if you want to buy a Tesla, you have to buy it direct from one of the company’s own retailers rather than through a traditional dealer...

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Going on sale in 2017? With a $35K price and 200 mile range?

Welcome to what will surely be a red ocean of competition by then, Musk.
So far, not so impressed. When you do a hybrid, maybe then. Hybrids are finally making sense to me, and by 2017, at least for Ford's future plans, they will make a lot more sense.

In a C class hybrid, I expect over 60mpg, and 750-900 mile cruising ranges before adding gas.
And gas cots per year would be like $900. Oh, and an entry price of about $23K, not $35K and all it's range limitations.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Going on sale in 2017? With a $35K price and 200 mile range?

Welcome to what will surely be a red ocean of competition by then, Musk.
So far, not so impressed. When you do a hybrid, maybe then. Hybrids are finally making sense to me, and by 2017, at least for Ford's future plans, they will make a lot more sense.

In a C class hybrid, I expect over 60mpg, and 750-900 mile cruising ranges before adding gas.
And gas cots per year would be like $900. Oh, and an entry price of about $23K, not $35K and all it's range limitations.
I would agree with you, but since he's currently selling the S at +$70,000 ~ the cost/benefit equation doesn't work/apply here.

At least not the one that would apply to a Ford or Chevy, and the entire reason GM came out with the ELR, which IMHO would have worked if they would have priced it a bit more reasonable.

We've been hearing about leap-frogs and technological breakthroughs, instead of the small-slow steps, we've been seeing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There is no technological leaps for batteries and motors in the near future, only refinements and modest cost leveraging.
Which is what my common sense has been telling me for quite some time now, despite all the "magic dust" stories I keep hearing about.

Which mean pure EV, as a cost/benefit economical solution is (and will remain) almost impossible to do (profitably).

Just the other day, one of my buddies was raggin-on me about buying (leasing) a Volt, I told him my criticism hasn't changed, but who's the bigger fool, me GM or the Government, I got a $45,000 car (before the price drop last year) that GM is losing money on to begin with to throw another $7,500 on the hood, on top of the Government's $7,500 for a "net-net" price around $22K, which allows me to lease it for $169 (+ sales tax $10.16/month) [$179.50] which allows me to save +/- $240 month in gas.

I think Hybrid or plug-in Hybrid with small/short EV only range pack is the way to go

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ & ^^ imho
it's good to consider as much complexity as we can imagine,
beyond (not excluding) the Laws of Physics...

...like: 1st ordinary hybrids were daring -&but- nobody had anything (electrified) to compare them to
-&while- mfgs were figuring thing out/experimenting (heck they didn't even have Lithium batteries)
then
they got new batteries and BEVs & plug-ins arrived (no idea if one first or together offhand) + new software,
sorta: Who-Knew what would "go-over" well?, let alone work in the real world;
& imho
the state-of-the-craft is that just now plug-ins are in/entering their golden age...or months

I would agree with you, but since he's currently selling the S at +$70,000 ~ the cost/benefit equation doesn't work/apply here...
I'll have to update/verify Tesla's current prices but
the Model S had 3 versions (after discontinuing its original entry version):
$62,400 - 60kwh battery 'rated' 230m, 302hp
$72.400 - 85kwh battery 'rated' 300m, 362hp
$87,400 - 85kwh battery 'rated' 300m, 416hp "performance"
tho
I've heard with all options one can go over $100k (un-verified)
&
the one Tedla-S owner I had a short convo with had the performance version with the extra 2 pretend-seats for "kids-in-the-trunk"
+
I heard many posters refute Tesla being a Luxury brand OR being Lux-level inside
so . . .
tbc?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and Model R *AND* Model C?? - TorqueNews

VinceBurlappCar

^ illustration ^

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tesla Model R to spectacularly succeed the Roadster sooner than expected? - TorqueNews

Tesla Motors’ first car, the Lotus-based Roadster, ended production in 2012 so the company could focus on the higher-volume Models S and X. A new report suggests the Roadster will be revived in 2017, although we find that timetable unlikely.

The German automotive website Autobild is reporting that according to Tesla sources, a next-generation version of the Tesla Roadster could arrive in 2017. It will be known as Model R and be built on either the Model III platform or a new smaller platform.

It is widely expected that Tesla will come out with a new Roadster eventually, but this is the first time a date as early as 2017 has been suggested. We are highly skeptical that the reported timetable is accurate, however.

Model R is coming, but not before Model III

Autobild quoted several Tesla sources that allegedly revealed details about the company’s plans for Model R and an upcoming Model C city car. Given that Elon Musk recently hinted that Tesla is “not currently showing all our cards,” it is indeed possible that these two rumored vehicles are in the works.

However, we think a Model C is unlikely and a successor to the original Roadster is hardly a priority for Tesla at this point...

- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/2250/tesla-model-r-spectacularly-succeed-roadster-sooner-expected#sthash.G9tksTsP.dpuf

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tesla's Model 3 to Cost $35K(, reveal next) March, But Production Still 2 Years Away
NBCnews.com

by Devin Coldewey
Sep 2 2015

Tesla's long-awaited mass-market car, the Model 3, now has a price and debut plan courtesy of the company's founder, Elon Musk, who posted the details to Twitter on Wednesday.
@elonmusk $35k price, unveil in March, preorders start then.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 2, 2015​

The $35,000 price is just what was expected, and Tesla is well known for unveiling its cars well before they are available to buy. Still, it will likely disappoint many that a cheaper Tesla won't arrive until 2017 at the very earliest.

crossreference: $35,895 base XE

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
...what the Tesla Model 3 Could Look Like?
AutoGuide

By Stephen Elmer| Dec 02, 2015|

Tesla’s Model 3 promises to offer 250 miles of range for just $35,000 and we have new renderings speculating what it might look like.

Based on what we have seen with the Model X SUV, the new Tesla Model 3 won’t likely stray too far from the brand’s established design. Our renderings show a familiar face with more compact proportions compared to the longer and wider Model S.

Despite its similar look, Tesla says that the Model 3 will not share many parts with the larger Model S.

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
found a sizeable articleS on the III (possibly mostly speculation)
and since I don't have time/patience to go thru it now, posting instead...

Tesla Model 3 Review
PluginCars.com
The paydirt car for Tesla, a stylish mass-produced 200-mile EV

One of many unofficial wild guesses of how the Model S's design can be downscaled to a the smaller Model 3. However, Tesla is likely to implement more aggressive differences in styling.

Tesla would have to defy all expectations to achieve success on the Model 3, while avoiding all the potential pitfalls—not only for the 200-mile $35,000 Model 3, but a massive new battery factory, and the Model X that comes first. Can Tesla do it again?

- - - - - - -

How Much Will A 200-Mile Tesla Model 3 Really Cost?
Forbes

Sam Abuelsamid - Feb 15, 2016

In the wake of Tesla’s recent announcement of 2015 financial results and a Bloomberg report that the upcoming Model 3 could cost as little as $25,000, it’s worth taking a looking at the prospects for the more affordable electric car with a somewhat more jaundiced eye...

...three (3) pages

1 - 16 of 16 Posts