Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Re: Teslas has .... too many peeps

Tesla's real capacity problem? Too many employees
Employees reportedly pay or trade goods with others for guaranteed parking

Autoweek
- June 14, 2017
...LONGish article...

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said last week the company has run out of space at its Fremont, Calif., plant and is looking to build a second factory.

“There’s no room at Fremont,” Musk said. “It’s bursting at the seams.”

But that statement left plenty of industry watchers scratching their heads...

...It’s because in this temple of lean manufacturing, Tesla uses far more workers than NUMMI employed to build far fewer cars. In 1985, its first full year of production, NUMMI had 2,470 employees and produced 64,764 vehicles — about 26 vehicles per worker per year. By 1997, it had 4,844 ​ workers and produced 357,809 vehicles — about 74 vehicles per worker per year.

Tesla, on the other hand, had between 6,000 and 10,000 workers in 2016 and manufactured 83,922 vehicles. That puts its vehicle-per-worker number between 8 and 14, about one-seventh the efficiency of NUMMI at its peak...
Those numbers need to be compared with luxury auto manufacturers with the product selling for $70 - $130k, loaded with tech.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Teslas are .... "BORING"!! ;-P

The Boring Company’s first sub-street level elevator should be operational this week
MotorAuthority
- Viknesh Vijayenthiran - July 3, 2017

It was only in April that Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed the first details on his latest venture: The Boring Company.

The goal of TBC is to build tunnels under congested cities in which cars (or pods carrying people) could travel along via high-speed sleds. A car would drive onto a platform at street level and then lower into an access tunnel that then merges with the main high-speed tunnel. The platform the car uses to lower into the tunnel becomes the sled on which the car rides during the trip.

In May, TBC demonstrated a working sled within a test tunnel located underneath the headquarters of Musk’s SpaceX venture in Hawthorne, California. The proposed top speed for the tunnel system is 125 mph.

And on Saturday, Musk revealed that TBC is close to having its first elevator ready. He posted a short video on Twitter showing the “steel skeleton” of the elevator and stated that it should be operational this week. He also posted a video showing sections of the tunnel lining and an access ramp leading to TBC's test tunnel.

Don’t expect the tunnels to prop up all over the place. They’re intended to be used to join major traffic hubs. In announcing the venture, Musk gave the example of a trip from the Los Angeles 'suburb' of Westwood to LAX taking about 5 minutes, as opposed to around an hour during rush hour today...

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Looked quickly, did not see a thread regarding the launch of 3 this week. I will just leave this here.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/business/tesla-model-3-elon-musk.html

Tesla’s long-awaited mass-market electric car will begin rolling off the assembly line this week. But even as it moves ahead, the automaker is encountering challenges to its ambitious plans for growth.

On Monday, it acknowledged that it had experienced a “severe shortfall” in production of 100-kilowatt battery packs that use new technologies and are made on new assembly lines.

As a result, Tesla’s output of 25,708 cars in the second quarter barely exceeded its first-quarter production, though it was a 40 percent increase from a year ago.

Until June, the supply of battery packs was about 40 percent below demand, Tesla said, though supplies improved last month.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Right now I'm deciding if I'm going to order a Model S 75D to replace the MKX, wish there were dealerships in Michigan so I can at least drive one! But the turnaround is fairly short, about 1-month which is faster than ordering a car from Lincoln or Ford (or just about any other brand).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
"Tesla is..." ...considering:

...reverting to using Model 3 platform for Model Y electric SUV?
MotorAuthority
- Viknesh Vijayenthiran - Aug 3, 2017
Teaser for Tesla Model Y electric SUV due in 2019

Tesla CEO Elon Musk surprised many in May when he said the upcoming Model Y small SUV would be based on a next-generation platform, and not the Model 3’s “Gen 3” design as had been planned since at least 2012.

He’s since revealed that Tesla will revert to its original plan of using the Model 3 platform for the Model Y in an effort to speed up its gestation. The small SUV is currently due in late 2019 or early the following year.

“Upon the council of my executive team to reel me back from the cliffs of insanity, the Model Y will, in fact, be using substantial carry over from Model 3 in order to bring it to market faster,” Musk said Wednesday during Tesla’s second-quarter earnings call.

Musk went on to explain that he was a “fool” for wanting to use a new platform for the Model Y, and that sticking with the Model 3 platform would reduce the risk of problems arising during its development and production.

Using an existing platform would also lower the cost of developing the vehicle and ensure greater economies of scale when it comes to parts and production processes.

One of the main reasons Musk wanted to develop a new platform for the Model Y was to eliminate much of the wiring that remains in the Model 3 platform. Less wiring is necessary to introduce more automation into Tesla’s production process.

Musk also wanted to finally eliminate the 12-volt battery from Tesla’s cars with the new platform, though he said that doing so will still be possible with the Model Y despite using the Model 3 platform. The 12-volt battery is used to power ancillary features as well as the computers that activate the Tesla’s main traction battery.

As for the financials discussed during the second-quarter earnings call, Musk said Tesla earned revenues of $2.7 billion but suffered a loss of $401 million in the period. He also said Tesla had racked up 518,000 reservations for the Model 3 since the books opened in 2016 and that 455,000 reservations remained. He also said Tesla is currently receiving about 1,800 reservations for the Model 3 per day.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Really curious to see what the Model Y will look like. Still debating on getting a Model X instead of the MKX, but I may wait out one more Lincoln lease for the Model Y.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Really curious to see what the Model Y will look like. Still debating on getting a Model X instead of the MKX, but I may wait out one more Lincoln lease for the Model Y.
And if history is any indicator, by then Lincoln will come out with some new compelling offering that keeps you in the fold ;)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The Y would be a much smaller car than the X, since it's using the 3 platform. The X would be more in the same size class as the MKX. But full electric, with instant torque, autopilot, and those winged doors.

I like the 3, but by the time I option it up to where I want it, I can buy a used Model S for about same rice with more range. But since either way it won't happen until the of next year, I got time to sort that out.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The Y would be a much smaller car than the X, since it's using the 3 platform. The X would be more in the same size class as the MKX. But full electric, with instant torque, autopilot, and those winged doors.

I like the 3, but by the time I option it up to where I want it, I can buy a used Model S for about same rice with more range. But since either way it won't happen until the of next year, I got time to sort that out.
Model X is actually much bigger on the inside than Explorer but with similar exterior dimensions, but has the same height as a Ford Edge. Compared to MKX (or Explorer) it's huge and cavernous. It's really the perfect vehicle for me, but the Model S also offers a ton of utility with the lift back and huge cargo area. It really just comes down to price, it's a hard pill to swallow when you're paying twice as much for a car as a loaded Lincoln. Although comparing a Lincoln MKX to a Tesla is a little like comparing a Typewriter to a MacBook Pro.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Automatic Charge Connection
Full Self Driving Capability

“For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.”

It looks like a live version of the robotic charging arm is actually coming to the Tesla Supercharger stations

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Automatic Charge Connection
Full Self Driving Capability

“For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.”

It looks like a live version of the robotic charging arm is actually coming to the Tesla Supercharger stations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI
This makes a ton of sense for autonomous ridesharing services but is flat out ridiculous for personal use. If plugging in your car is too much to ask then just give up on life.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
This makes a ton of sense for autonomous ridesharing services but is flat out ridiculous for personal use. If plugging in your car is too much to ask then just give up on life.
It seems this is just for the Superchargers since inductive charging speeds can't match the plug. But for home use, inductive charging is already here from a third party for the Model S and other models, along with manufacturers launching their own systems. With inductive charging, just like what's coming to many phones, there is no need to plug it in, and with autonomy, the car can go in the garage and charge it self, or go to a Supercharger and do the same.

Just think about it...the car can drive you to a new city 200 miles away, drop you off, take itself to a Supercharger to charge up, go park itself(or go back to your city and pick up your wife from the airport and take her home), charge up again if needed, then come pick you up at your scheduled time, or when you summon it.

Automatic and inductive charging will have a big impact on EV use and adoption.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It goes along well for those that have a bidet!

Reactions: SP1966

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

Ford has sold over 35K Fusion Energi models, which come nicely equipped at $34K. A high quality, proven system on a proven chassis that gets 610miles of range and offers Zero range anxiety. And it looks dam good too. My coworker drives one, plugs in constantly and is always boasting of how little fuel he uses, going months at a time before filling up.

Jes sayin….hehehe

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

$35k after $10k in rebates. 310 miles of range EVERY DAY with charging at home in the garage while you sleep. $9 to full up with electricity vs $40 in gasoline. And at first 100k miles, no oil changes every 5-7k miles, no tune-ups/spark plug replacements, no coolant service, no transmission service, no emissions testing, etc. But you get instant torque, great driving dynamics with low center of gravity, equipped with full level 5 autonomy hardware, Autopilot, Summon and the best safety of any vehicle in it's class. The Future...

The new crop of 200+ mile affordable EVs done right like the Model 3 or I-Pace is making combustion engine vehicles seem so old school very quickly.

Model 3 vs Volvo S60

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
....and large cars are on notice. Model S just had another price drop. Now a Model S starts at $69,500 with 249 miles of range, level 5 autonomy, Autopilot, and Summon.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Yeah, range is great.....until you need heat or AC.
Then lets talk range. Nearly cut in half.

Clearly the next gen of PHEV's are the best overall answer going forward in the near future. ICE's that barely get used in them, costing much less in oil, fuel, wear and total cost, and don't limit you with a required cord in life.

This year we have already suffered several power outings that lasted through the night. I guess people just stay home in the event of no power. Personally, that is when I like to leave my house, when there is little to do but sit in the dark.
But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah, range is great.....until you need heat or AC.
Then lets talk range. Nearly cut in half.

Clearly the next gen of PHEV's are the best overall answer going forward in the near future. ICE's that barely get used in them, costing much less in oil, fuel, wear and total cost, and don't limit you with a required cord in life.

This year we have already suffered several power outings that lasted through the night. I guess people just stay home in the event of no power. Personally, that is when I like to leave my house, when there is little to do but sit in the dark.
But that's just me.
This conversation is irrelevant without a citation. More facts please, less fake news.

41 - 60 of 397 Posts