Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly Able: Its prestige may not yet be presidential, but its performance is close.
MotorTrend
September 23, 2015
By: Frank Markus

Lincoln's second bid at a Lexus RX fighter significantly ups the ante in both style and substance. Its curvy sheetmetal no longer resembles the Ford Edge that amortizes their common underpinnings, and the design enlarges the themes that we praised on last year's Escape-based MKC. Inside, the news is even better; Its fresh look evokes an American- luxury tone that isn't trying to copy anyone. Of course it helps that our Reserve model, optioned up to a Black Label price point, was swathed in authentic leathers, woods, and metal finishes.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a great car. It does everything you ask it to do very well and in style.

I'm starting to see a bunch of them around here, and it's a really great looking CUV IMHO. This would be my pick hands down if I were shopping for a midsize CUV.

I didn't like this part, though:

MotorTrend said:
Perhaps the biggest letdown was an abundance of poor exterior panel fits unbecoming a $63,275 vehicle.
That's not acceptable in any car. They need to work on that, stat.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
That's not acceptable in any car. They need to work on that, stat.
Yup. It's one of the reasons why people were/are turned off by domestics. Even though imports are known for best fit & finish, it's not as true as it used to be. Ford has the opportunity to outshine them in that department.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho
a "real" MKX (Leather, 2.7EB, Awd) starts at $45,885

wonder why FLincMoCo sent what they did?
(& personal rant
since they pre-chose a Reserve
why they didn't use an X16 with either the Hazelnut or Terracotta interior?
tho I like Cappaccino - that's the ONLY interior I've seen pix of from a review...
...makes wonder if those are even in production yet?)

the following sounds like perfect 'aim' to me tho
article said:
...But drive the two vehicles back-to-back on the same road, and believe it or not, the Lincoln is the more satisfying driver's car. The Edge's stability control gets mighty pushy when you approach its higher limits, the ride is considerably flintier, and if you go for the bigger 21-inch tires, they even make more noise at their higher limits.
Considered against CUVs in its peer group, few competitors can match the 2.7-liter MKX AWD's lateral grip, and only the sportiest variants (Audi SQ5 and BMW X5) are quicker around our figure eight...

·
Registered
193 Posts
4,630 lb curb weight!!???? I thought the old one was heavy at 4,400!

And 6.4 to 60? Granted I didn't test drive the Edge Sport, but my new X sure _feels_ much faster than my old X that hit 60 in about that time. Not a glowing review by any stretch.

Maybe it's a Canadian pricing thing, but when I priced out an X5 equipped to my expectations (i.e. relative to my loaded-up MKX) it was over 80. That's some $15,000 more than the MSRP on my X. I'd say the MKX is a bargain!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The critics for the MKX are improving with each test.

Is a shame that the name "EDGE" is still in any review of the MKX....

Is a marvelous vehicle. One of the best in its segment

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm very disappointed about the panel gaps, that kind of detail work continues to haunt domestics and keeps us short of the usual suspects in the luxury field.

I'm also a little concerned about the power issue, as it seems like some Ecoboosts (as well as some tests of Coyote-equipped Mustangs) keep getting noted for seeming a little short on power. They also, obviously, need to address the "overheated AWD system", if they're going to offer even subdued sporting flavors in their vehicles.

All in all, the new MKX appears to take Lincoln one step further into the luxury field, with work still needing to be done.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I'm very disappointed about the panel gaps, that kind of detail work continues to haunt domestics and keeps us short of the usual suspects in the luxury field.

I'm also a little concerned about the power issue, as it seems like some Ecoboosts (as well as some tests of Coyote-equipped Mustangs) keep getting noted for seeming a little short on power. They also, obviously, need to address the "overheated AWD system", if they're going to offer even subdued sporting flavors in their vehicles.

All in all, the new MKX appears to take Lincoln one step further into the luxury field, with work still needing to be done.
I'm guessing getting it right is difficult when you have the line running at the same speed for the $30K Edge that you do for a $60+K MKX. On the other hand the $30K Edge customer deserves better too.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I'm guessing getting it right is difficult when you have the line running at the same speed for the $30K Edge that you do for a $60+K MKX. On the other hand the $30K Edge customer deserves better too.
Lincoln needs to have an exclusive assembly line. Maybe only for the exterior panels and cabin. The platform, engine, transmission, and the basic and hidden components can be run at the same line of the Edge. Is so difficult this proposition?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Lincoln needs to have an exclusive assembly line. Maybe only for the exterior panels and cabin. The platform, engine, transmission, and the basic and hidden components can be run at the same line of the Edge. Is so difficult this proposition?
No way they can run one car down two assembly lines efficiently. Lincoln doesn't have anywhere near the required volume to justify their own lines either unless the line was flexible enough to run virtually all Lincolns down that one line, and that ain't happening.

I'm sure I've asked before and just don't remember, but does Lexus ES/RX/NX run down the same line as Toyotas? I would hate to hear they do and manage to build better cars! I guess it wouldn't be too bad, I'd likely forget they do anyways! :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
*IF* all FoMoCo cars -or U.S FMC cars- will be on just 2 platforms asap
(cD6 & A.M.P)
then
imho it would be POSSIBLE for one factory with 2 lines to be exclusive for Lincoln...
...or separate dedicated lines at shared factories
If all FoMoCo cars will be on just 2 platforms ASAP then you're NEVER going to convince the bean counters that separate lines for Lincoln makes cents. Especially when pretty much every line they have currently generates more volume than Lincoln sells in total! This is an issue that will have to be resolved before sales will climb enough to justify Lincoln exclusive lines!

·
Registered
867 Posts
If all FoMoCo cars will be on just 2 platforms ASAP then you're NEVER going to convince the bean counters that separate lines for Lincoln makes cents. Especially when pretty much every line they have currently generates more volume than Lincoln sells in total! This is an issue that will have to be resolved before sales will climb enough to justify Lincoln exclusive lines!
Will the bean counters justify funding precision, rather than good enough engineering and manufacturing - across the board? If so, the fit and finish problem could be resolved in the future for both Ford and Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Simple solution, tougher tolerance levels, and zero tolerance on swaying from said tolerance levels.
No matter if it is a Lincoln or a Ford, pride of assembly should be #1 priority.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the comments section, A Lincoln Sales person mentions that Lincoln has instituted an Electronic PDI process. Anybody heard of this? It seems it does not appear to be working as planned if a car delivered for testing and review has visible fit and finish problems.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
In the comments section, A Lincoln Sales person mentions that Lincoln has instituted an Electronic PDI process. Anybody heard of this? It seems it does not appear to be working as planned if a car delivered for testing and review has visible fit and finish problems.
I recall some sort of laser technology they started using a few years ago. It has helped but not much. I still see misaligned panels, misaligned doors, paint blemishes, and other flaws. It's especially bad on new launches. It's not just a Ford problem, though. GM and FCA aren't any better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The launch of the 2016 MKX from Oakville ON appears to be facing all sorts of production issues including continuous build date bumps (twice for my July order date), long delivery times, vehicles with early VINs that seem to have gone into stealth mode (built but never delivered), misaligned hoods & hatches, etc. (I viewed one MKX at a dealer that I would have refused taking possession), delivered vehicles missing tech items that were listed in the order guides as available, etc.

In another post I suggested that management overview & logistic functions at Ford/Lincoln were stretched too thin, both at Dearborn and some other facilities. I was chastened for the opinion, but something apparently is not right with the 2016 MKX launch.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Elegance. A word often overlooked by reviewers. Although this term is seldom plagued with body panel gaps and sharp edges, I refuse to believe that the general vibe of the MKX strays from the concept of "elegance."

Disclaimer: I am very drunk right now.

But this is a vehicle that displays quality, cheaper than the competition or not. I feel the MKX represents the true direction that Lincoln is taking rather than the MKC. As much as I love the C, this vehicle shows potential. It shows a soul. It shows passion.

So who the **** cares if its dash board isn't as exciting as the Lexus. Who the **** cares if the seats can be tough to configure: FIND YOUR SETTING AND SAVE IT YOU LAZY ASSHOLES?!?!

This kind of raw power in an elegant crossover is a big win. Now do me a god damn favor and kick FWD to the curb. Give me an AWD lineup or bust. Lincoln can be a better Lexus, but I'm waiting for Ford brass to give the "A"-okay. Ford can build a better product than many. Capitalize and build Lincolns with soul. They are most of the way there, but the details seal the deal. WOW ME, FORD WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts