Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at old Ford commercial and saw this one

I never owned a truck in the 80's but it stated it got 33 on the highway? Was this true?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Ford can make those trucks get great fuel economy without the unibody chassis and aerodynamics. The engine and tranny is the most important.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Testing was done by the EPA under their rules. Since 1983, the EPA ratings have been revised TWICE. The first one simply dropped the numbers by a percentage (10% for city and 22% for highway, if I recall correctly). Today's trucks are much more powerful, cleaner, and safer....and return the same or better fuel economy. But I always think back to that early 1980s advertising that raved about the fuel economy numbers from a full-sized pickup! Anyone remember how many people complained that they couldn't match the EPA ratings back then?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The heavy duty trucks have to cut a long distance, to reach the destination, so requires more fuel. As gas is cheaper then petrol and diesel on prefer to use gas fuel vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dude seriously here......
its an 83 ford truck with a 351 in it.....what kind of mileage are you expecting it to get? If you get 8-9 miles a gallon you will be lucky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts