Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
domestic automakers are in a heap of trouble right now. Truth is, almost every car maker--domestic or import brand--is having a lousy year.

Mainstream media covering the financial woes of the auto industry seem fond of noting that domestic makers produce “gas guzzlers”. It’s generally understood that the hapless American car builders couldn’t build an efficient car if their lives depended on it, which they seemingly do.

It’s certainly true that domestic makers produce more vehicles in categories not known for fuel efficiency, but are these vehicles really guzzlers?
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/the-american-gas-guzzler-myth.htm

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think Toyota/Lexus builds the most gas guzzlers in a lineup.

Toyota makes...
Tundra
Sequoia
Land Cruiser
FJ Cruiser
4Runner
Tacoma

Lexus makes...
LS 460
LX 570
GX 470

The truth is in my opinion American Automakers do not build anymore gas guzzlers than anyone else.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Toyota/Lexus builds the most gas guzzlers in a lineup.

Toyota makes...
Tundra
Sequoia
Land Cruiser
FJ Cruiser
4Runner
Tacoma

Lexus makes...
LS 460
LX 570
GX 470

The truth is in my opinion American Automakers do not build anymore gas guzzlers than anyone else.
Amazing, especially when you look at the list and realize there is not a single category where Japan is most efficient.
A malibu LTZ getting same 33 Mpg as civic and beating the sentra by a good margin!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Amazing, especially when you look at the list and realize there is not a single category where Japan is most efficient.
A malibu LTZ getting same 33 Mpg as civic and beating the sentra by a good margin!!
Uh, did you forget about the Toyota Prius? And right now, I'd say that Nissan Altima Hybrid is the leader in the midsize segment (I do not consider the Prius a midsize car, although I know that the EPA says otherwise), although the Fusion is about to change that.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Uh, did you forget about the Toyota Prius? And right now, I'd say that Nissan Altima Hybrid is the leader in the midsize segment (I do not consider the Prius a midsize car, although I know that the EPA says otherwise), although the Fusion is about to change that.
I like Nelsonlu's approach. You all know I am all against BS ourselves and we do a lot of THAT here.

In this case however, the fact that the Prius exists or that the Nissan Altima hybrid rules (momentarily) doesn't negate the fact that Detroit is suffering unfairly from the burdens of this media fed gas guzzlers reputation, when big foreign car companies like Nissan, and Toyota also make thirsty behemoths w/o suffering the consequences from a PR point of view.

Companies like Honda, Suzuki or VW are the ones that may deserve some praise but those companies do not cover all segments of the automotive market.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I like Nelsonlu's approach. You all know I am all against BS ourselves and we do a lot of THAT here.

In this case however, the fact that the Prius exists or that the Nissan Altima hybrid rules (momentarily) doesn't negate the fact that Detroit is suffering unfairly from the burdens of this media fed gas guzzlers reputation, when big foreign car companies like Nissan, and Toyota also make thirsty behemoths w/o suffering the consequences from a PR point of view.

Companies like Honda, Suzuki or VW are the ones that may deserve some praise but those companies do not cover all segments of the automotive market.
you both make valid points. I think the article is trying to say that, contrary to popular opinion, Detroit is in the game. Notice there were no hybrids sighted in the CR article. If they were, then you would have had the Tahoe Hybrids, the Ford Escape, and GM BAS system vehicles in there too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts