Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Continental: Ford’s Three-Cylinder, Notes From the Focus Launch, Ghia is Put to Sleep, and a New Gumpert
by Jens Meiners
January 28, 2011
Car and Driver

Last week, I wrote about BMW’s possible three-cylinder engine strategy. Here’s one that is for sure: Ford will bring a turbocharged 1.0-liter, three-cylinder gasoline engine to market. It will get at least 50 mpg in the Focus, and be sold in a number of other models as well. “Ford is strongly commited to the three-cylinder engine project,” says a supplier executive who has been working with Ford. We will soon get official word on the engines. I am quite sure they will eventually be offered in the U.S. as well.

Save the manuals: The upcoming 247-hp Ford Focus ST will be available with a six-speed manual only. Good. It will come in the spring of 2012 as a four-door hatchback. What about the Focus RS? The last generation of this autobahn stormer used an upgraded version of a five-cylinder engine that is not used in the Focus anymore. The future of the RS model is not decided yet, I am told.

The “One Ford” strategy means that models will look identical on all continents in the future. This is true for the Focus, for the next-generation Escape/Kuga twins, and the next-generation Mondeo/Fusion. There also will be a Lincoln variation, which will of course differ significantly. Lincoln in Europe is an unlikely proposition: “We’ll watch how Cadillac will do over there,” a Ford executive tells me. That doesn’t bode well for a possible launch of the Lincoln brand on the Continent.

Something else I noted on the European Focus: The LED strip on top of the optional xenon headlights is a cool (and heretofore unseen) detail, and I like the LED taillights that come standard with the Titanium trim level. (Judgment on the base version’s lights is reserved until I see them.) But I don’t get why Ford doesn’t create a consistent lighting signature for its models. The illuminated lights on the Focus, Mondeo, Galaxy, and S-Max all look cool by themselves, but there is no visual connection among them. And the Ford Vertrek concept? In terms of lighting design, it doesn’t fit in and probably won’t show the way either.

Full text at link

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Re: The Ciontinental: Ford's 3 liter going into the Focus; Ghia is dead

ST = Manual Only = Perfect

·
Registered
4,679 Posts

You have a typo in the title. I thought it was some clever word game I wasn't getting . . . :p

Is that the name of this guy's blog? the Continental?

As for Ghia being put to sleep what's the point, Ghia has been taking a long nap, or is on a medical induced coma, for at least ten years and no one gave this blogger any definitive information.

This is what happen when you are contractually bound to surrender a blog post and really have nothing to say . . .

·
Registered
414 Posts

The D30 would be a nice engine in the Focus, oh, wait, that's not what you meant.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts

A V6 will never find it's way into a Focs. The ST will be all the motor you ever need in that class.

But, I3 engines will really proliferate in the coming years, with power matching the current 2.0L DI motor and much better fuel economy.

Makes more sense than a hybrid too.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Re: The Continental: Ford's 3 liter going into the Focus; Ghia is dead

3 liter or 3 cylinder engine? i think the threads must be redacted with more care.

And why the Continental name? is the source of the information??? I saw the title, and thinked is a Lincoln car related thread.

Maybe i'm not the rigth person to say this, because my english is very, very bad. But i expect something better from this forum.

Those are my 2 cents......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts