Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automotive News reports that "all across America, droptop dreams are dying".

But that does not balance with the R.L. Polk data the article is based on which shows droptop sales after the 2009 recession, have been increasing by about 10k units each year since 2011. With 2013 droptop sales expected to be better than 2012. The report also slows a decline in the percentage of droptop sales, compared with overall vehicle sales. But that does not take into account the rapid growth of new models from especially US automakers, selling more economical city cars, sub-compacts and compacts than ever before. Where this customer base would not be the traditional convertible demographic.

2008 236,448 1.80%
2009 141,923 1.40%
2010 131,910 1.20%
2011 142,736 1.10%
2012 151,636 1.00%

But the better news in all of this, is that the Ford Mustang Convertible is by far the #1 selling droptop in the US YTD. Outselling the #2 Camaro Convertible by over 1,600 units. And with the new more refined/upscale Mustang coming for 2015, and Ford's focus of growing market percentage on the coasts, I expect the 2015 Mustang Convertible to exceed expectations. And if Ford is bold enough to offer a Lincoln version of the Mustang Convertible MKR (R for roadster?), things will get quite a bit more interesting at Lincoln dealerships.

Ford Mustang 6,421
Chevrolet Camaro 4,751
Volkswagen Beetle 4,305
Mercedes-Benz SL class 2,380
Mercedes-Benz E class 2,206
BMW 328i 2,108
Chrysler 200 1,980
Fiat 500 1,920
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1,822
Porsche Boxster 1,686

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...But that does not balance with the R.L. Polk data the article is based on which shows droptop sales after the 2009 recession, have been increasing by about 10k units each year since 2011...
...The report also slows a decline in the percentage of droptop sales, compared with overall vehicle sales. But that does not take into account the rapid growth of new models...

...And if Ford is bold enough to offer a Lincoln version of the Mustang Convertible MKR (R for roadster?), things will get quite a bit more interesting at Lincoln dealerships...
Agree + imho it doesn't take into account the PENT UP Demand in general.
Heard the other day that average age of US vehicles is STILL over 10years old
& imho
people need to replace their "needed" vehicles before being able to buy new TOYS
so
I expect ALL discretionary categories will really increase later.

re: Lincoln
I've thought of (& ranted for) a coupe-cabrio LincStang instead of EITHER a plain-coupe + 'vertible (in addition to a sedan version)
tho somehow
the idea of a near-S-class-size soft-top DOES appeal to me still

chop for TurboS40 long long ago

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think a true 4-seat ragtop Lincoln could be a good image booster, so if Lincon does get some kind of "sport sedan" off of the upcoming rwd bones, I'd hope the Lincoln version had a real back seat. I think it would be a great response to all the Benz, Audi, and BMW ragtops out there.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think a true 4-seat ragtop Lincoln could be a good image booster, so if Lincon does get some kind of "sport sedan" off of the upcoming rwd bones, I'd hope the Lincoln version had a real back seat. I think it would be a great response to all the Benz, Audi, and BMW ragtops out there.
I'd like that, but it seriously...we have a better chance of getting an MKS with a vinyl Landau roof trimmed in chrome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts