Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Handling Package" is now showing up on the 2013 MKZ online configuartor.

"The Handling Package includes:
19" Performance summer-only P245/40R19 tires
19" Polished Aluminum Wheels with Painted Pockets
Unique sport tuning on Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) suspension and Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS)"

What I don't understand: If the info is accurate, you can't get that package on the Preferred - only on the Reserve. Excuse my language, but WTF??

I really hope whoever is in charge is not as stupid as it seems - IF this is indeed accurate. I hate compromises on cars in this category. "Either/or" is not the solution - it must be "and"!!:facepalm:

I simply don't understand why I can't get a Handling Package with a power rear-sunshade, a 110V outlet, heated rear-seats and a heated steering-wheel. Please, guys, tell me where the conflict between those features is because I simply can't see any..:banghead:

And yes, I do know that the Preferred already comes with the wheels that are part of that package - but why is it so hard to offer the same package on the Preferred - but for a little less $$ since the wheels are the same? Maybe I wouldn't complain if I could simply switch tires on a Preferred and call it a day - but I have no idea how I should retro-fit this part:

Unique sport tuning on Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) suspension and Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS)

I think it's time to write them a nice letter before they keep on messing up my favorite car!

Sorry for the rant.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LincolnFanFl,
I kinda doubt that the 'real' tech-team is working this week
so that info might've been put up by

elves
:lmao:

I really hope so - but I had the same hope before when I though that it was just an error on "my" rear-sunshade. Turned out to be accurate as well. In addition to that, it's not only on the configurator - the "error" shows up here as well:

http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/options/

In my opinion, this option is a gadget on such a car. And if they think they have better chances selling it on any trim other than the top, I wish them good luck - they'll need it..:(

I know for sure that other manufacturers offer packages on different trim lines as well - and if content of a specific package is already standard on a specific trim (in this case, the 19" painted wheels), they STILL offer the package - just without that specific feature and as compensation, at a lower price than on lower trims.

I guess that would be too difficult and complicated for these folks, huh?:tongue:

·
Registered
254 Posts
You live in Tampa and need heated rear seats and wheel? Remember it's summer tires with the handling package too. It's a "fair weather" combo? LOL

You could always talk to the dealer and see if they can do a special order.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I hope this gets corrected

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Anybody else think the "Handling package" is a knee jerk reaction to getting caught stacking the deck with some review cars? LOL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You live in Tampa and need heated rear seats and wheel? Remember it's summer tires with the handling package too. It's a "fair weather" combo? LOL
And what about the rear-sunshade? A summer-option and not available with the handling package..:tongue:

You could always talk to the dealer and see if they can do a special order.
I don't have high hopes when it comes to Ford/Lincoln and special orders. At least not yet.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody else think the "Handling package" is a knee jerk reaction to getting caught stacking the deck with some review cars? LOL
The way they implemented it, you're probably right.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Seems to me it was the so called "journalists" who came out looking like fools. They missed the real story.

"Lincoln's new MKZ will out slalom an M5!"

Most of the "wobbling" reviews are bent on burying Lincoln............it's coloring their judgement.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Seems to me it was the so called "journalists" who came out looking like fools. They missed the real story.

Most of the "wobbling" reviews are bent on burying Lincoln............it's coloring their judgement.
Took the words right out of mouth:thumb:

·
Registered
717 Posts

Exactly. They were so **** bent on adding more bad things to Lincoln they just jumped the gun and missed out on what is truly great with this MKZ. This is not even the performance version and it is running thru the slalom faster than an M5.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

While I agree with you that the MKZ even running with an M5 is a big story that doesn't change the facts that by all appearances Lincoln was trying to pull the wool over the journalists (I call them that not without hesitation!) eyes. Had they come out and said that this car has the as yet unannounced handling package then great, but they tried to slip that past them. That is not the mark of a company confident in their product. With the re-launching/imagining or whatever you want to call it of a moribund brand like Lincoln you cannot afford these types of slip ups and the bad press they generate.

Maybe, (unlikely) had Lincoln been up front then the press would have been about how well it handles. They weren't, and it wasn't.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I agree with you that the MKZ even running with an M5 is a big story that doesn't change the facts that by all appearances Lincoln was trying to pull the wool over the journalists (I call them that not without hesitation!) eyes. Had they come out and said that this car has the as yet unannounced handling package then great, but they tried to slip that past them. That is not the mark of a company confident in their product. With the re-launching/imagining or whatever you want to call it of a moribund brand like Lincoln you cannot afford these types of slip ups and the bad press they generate.

Maybe, (unlikely) had Lincoln been up front then the press would have been about how well it handles. They weren't, and it wasn't.
What I'd like to know is if Lincoln actually provided them with a vehicle a consumer could configure and buy in the first place. I assume they gave them a Preferred trim - and if that's the case, your criticism is well deserved - all under the assumption that the order-limitation of the Handling Package remains.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I didnt know the LS was that good
The LS is very good, it has a an awesome suspension double wishbone up front and full IRS. My car stays flat through the corners and its steering is very fast and responsive. THIS is what I want for Lincoln, it does not necessary have to be going after BMW per say but something with crisp handling. One thing I LOVE about my car is the small turning circle something I don't think you can get on FWD based cars too well.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
ya know...
I've had a feeling almost from the start that someone up-the-chain a bit signed off on that particular Z tester as a humorous surprise, kinda;
without the personnel in-the-field being aware of that (tho they knew about the unAnnounced HandlingPkg).
Then when the reviewer-critters got in-their-faces all of a-sudden, the Ford guys didn't want to say anything or come-clean until Dearborn gave them the OK;
& that delay is what caused the whole kerfuffle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts