Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ka let out of bag

A leading UK monthly car mag has let the Ka out of the bag. Pictured ahead of the official embargo, it looks like my subscription to the well-known publication has paid off.

Expect to see the car first at the Paris motor show, and then in a highly contrived cameo appearance in the new Bond film, Quantum of Solace, which opens on 31st October.

for more CLICK HERE.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok I want one!!

I hope they bring this over to the USA for production as a Mercury..

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wingsnut, I think this is nice for people that live in the larger Metro's. I think it is cute, but people would buy it because of the small factor. I see some Smart Cars around here and I wouldn't mind having one of these. Just not in the Winter. Blah!!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am with Wingsnut. The current KA is way too small and this one doesn't look any bigger. It certainly has a market . . . I am just not part of it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Maybe when I am older, and not dropping my little one off at daycare, this would be an option, as long as I had another car for hauling the family.
It looks stylish, If it costs less than $9K , in 5 years it would be an option...IF gas is above $5... AND the MPG is at least 20 better than the Fiesta.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If smart for two sells in the United States, this would sell too
The smart is not setting sales records here. Although I don't think the reason is its size but rather the fact that for the same price you can buy a bigger and as economical Yaris.

The Yaris though is Fiesta sized, so for the Ka to be a success here I would think it would need to be priced under $10K, at least

·
Registered
432 Posts
they could have differentiated it beter from the Panda:

even the 500 has a more unique interior

I am a little concerned abou this car .. Ford seems to have become lazy - the interior is not completely unique from the Panda, and the Exterior is too close to Fiesta - Ford cannot build and ssell the same car in five sizes .. they need unique styling for each car.

The old Ka sold on edgy design .. the 500 sells on nostalgia .. this new Ka does not have the Edginess of the old one .. it is a bit too safe .. even the Aygo/C1/107 triplets took a few mre styling risks and are a success ...

I hope this is just an aberration, or someone (Mays) needs to light a fire under Martin Smith's ass ... Kinetic design has to keep evolving .

Igor

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
they could have differentiated it beter from the Panda:

even the 500 has a more unique interior

I am a little concerned abou this car .. Ford seems to have become lazy - the interior is not completely unique from the Panda, and the Exterior is too close to Fiesta - Ford cannot build and ssell the same car in five sizes .. they need unique styling for each car.

The old Ka sold on edgy design .. the 500 sells on nostalgia .. this new Ka does not have the Edginess of the old one .. it is a bit too safe .. even the Aygo/C1/107 triplets took a few mre styling risks and are a success ...

I hope this is just an aberration, or someone (Mays) needs to light a fire under Martin Smith's ass ... Kinetic design has to keep evolving .

Igor
Is the Ka based on the same frame as the Fiats? The interiors are pretty close!!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
NetCarShow has a KA gallery up < clickety

edit:
forgot they also do verbiage:
"...Rebirth of a Design Icon

The new model is destined to continue the considerable success of the original Ford Ka, which is widely considered to be an automotive design icon. Launched at the Paris Motor Show in 1996, the Ford Ka was immediately praised for its exciting "New Edge" styling and class-leading driving dynamics.

Throughout its 12-year life the Ford Ka has remained tremendously popular among small-car buyers, inspiring fierce loyalty from its owners. In total, Ford Ka production has exceeded 1.4 million vehicles.

Further information on the new Ford Ka range will be released in time for the Paris Motor Show in early October 2008."

also

Auto Express News - Hot Ka takes centre stage
P
romising a great drive and trend-setting style, the blue oval’s most exciting city car yet – the Ka ST – steps into the spotlight...

(much)more...
(including why Europeans naturally expect Fords to out-handle Fiats :eek:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts