Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
They're gonna struggle to build this brand just like any automaker in the luxury segment. This will be just like the Genesis and Equss, terrible resale values cause the market doesnt take them as a luxury. This design language is so derivative at least the continental didnt take every trend and shape just to have presence.
The irony of being on a Ford message board where their top selling sedan borrowed from Aston Martin and their premium brand is cribbing from Bentley and Audi but we complain about Hyundai being unoriginal.

The G90 is not an exciting design by any measure, and there are derivative aspects of it to be sure, but it's not nearly as derivative of any single vehicle as the Continental Concept is of the Flying Spur. And I say this not as a criticism, I would want the Continental in a bad way if they built the Concept!!! The Continental Concept is the superior design to the FS!!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I've seen people on other sites making connections to Lexus/Toyota with Hyundai. I see a big if not huge difference here. One, when Lexus debuted it turned the luxury market upside down on craftsmanship, quality, and dealer service. Seriously go back and look at old reviews of the LS400 they embarrassed brands like Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, and yes even Lincoln. The luxury market got pretty fierce in the 90s because of this. Now with Hyundai launching Genesis as a new sub brand with this flagship, which I might add looks to have a pretty nice interior, I have to ask what are they bringing to the table that hasn't been done? Why should you go out and buy this over a 7 series, or an S Class, or even a CT6 aside from pricing? The Equus has struggled as mentioned above and I can't see this playing out too well for Hyundai honestly. Also the engines do not look very competitive at all, yes it has a 5.0 V8 but only 308 HP?

I hate to sound like a fanboi but I have to agree with Wings on this one and that the Continental at least is trying something different by not being a copy cat of the aforementioned models. Continental at least to me is almost like its trying to push back to Lincoln's good ol days when they focused on comfort more than anything else which isn't a bad thing but it is for enthusiasts who crave cornering above all, however not all hope is lost I am still praying to the auto gods for a Mark IX. I have been pretty harsh on Lincoln in the past and I stand by what I said before because they deserved every bit of it however I think they are righting the ship now.

I will agree with gjrip and disagree with Borg since the production Conti hasn't even debuted yet but Borg claiming that Lincoln has fallen to Hyundai. However I have to agree with SP on the proportions even tho gjrip hates hearing it. It's noticeable to us enthusiasts that the wheels have been pushed back and I hope it doesn't hurt the overall image however from a side profile we will notice and seeing models like the S90 will leave us wondering 'what if'. One of the things I loved about my LS was how the front wheels were pushed forward it made the design IMO very classy compared to any other mid size out there that was FWD specially comparing it to my Merc Sable I had before. I think that's part of the element that has caused the LS to age so gracefully. Edit: to add to this point look at a 2002 Continental vs an LS side by side I think most will agree the LS looks a lot better but again my opinion.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think you're hearing only part of the A2D argument, or specifically all you're hearing is A2D. Nobody has ever said add a few inches to the A2D and all Lincoln's problems are solved, nobody. In fact the Continental concept was universally loved here at FIN even though it had a relatively short A2D it still managed to be proportionally balanced. The MKZ has a short A2d and as a complete design it too is very proportionally balanced.

It is the small details that set apart great designs from average designs and it's the lack of those details that takes a great design, MKC Concept, to a nice but no longer breathtaking design in production form.

I've personally stated many, many, many times that I believe the Continental is going to be a very nice car. I also realize that Lincoln is stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of what they have to work with. I'm sure the Continental will be the best product they could build given the many restraints, both platform and financial, but my desire/opinion isn't restrained by such things.

p.s. I never said the Continental oozed with originality!

Once again I'll point out that if you want to restrict all conversation/debate to production vehicles they may as well shut down the forum. Most of are here to express our MMQB opinions, not simply to pledge allegiance to the FMC/LMC Gods.
Yeah I don't even disagree with you. I was just a little over-reacting and a tad frustrated when I saw the first thing someone mentions about THIS product is derogatory towards one that we know nothing about yet; and one that I have an immense amount of hope for. I try my best to not pledge allegiance to the Ford gods. However, I don't take well to my favorite brand being sh!t on unfairly.

As far as my DtA length comment, it was hyperbole, but my sentiment is accurate. People immediately discount the production Continental from pictures of the prototype on this site for ONE REASON, and it's the DtA length. People would sing its praises if it were but one inch longer. My point is just that such a mindset is ******* ******.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I try my best to not pledge allegiance to the Ford gods. However, I don't take well to my favorite brand being (befouled) on unfairly...
I just play "Let's you & him fight" with Ford & Lincoln then root for the little guy...
...it's probably easier for me since my pantheon of gods is on hiatus

so far / imho
the best thing about the interior (maybe whole car) is that the upholstery isN'T diamond-quilted

first thing that irks me is the double latch mech that looks wingy ...that looks wingy... whyWhy??

re: the exterior (so far)
something odd/strange** about the C-pillar both pleases me & bugs me
+
it looks like a different designer from the front = confuses me

** I *like* strange (usually), "odd" not so much

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
As far as my DtA length comment, it was hyperbole, but my sentiment is accurate. People immediately discount the production Continental from pictures of the prototype on this site for ONE REASON, and it's the DtA length. People would sing its praises if it were but one inch longer. My point is just that such a mindset is ******* ******.
There is a reason why every premium brand is embracing traditional proportions and it's because buyers demand elegance in a premium vehicle and nothing is further from elegance than your typical FWD sedan. It's about the whole, nothing stands out like a sore thumb as obviously as the windshield sitting over the front wheels.

Maybe Lincoln buyers don't care about such things, but Lincoln is trying to attract more than their 8K per month. D6 will fix this defect of design so clearly even they know it matters.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
There is a reason why every premium brand is embracing traditional proportions and it's because buyers demand elegance in a premium vehicle and nothing is further from elegance than your typical FWD sedan. It's about the whole, nothing stands out like a sore thumb as obviously as the windshield sitting over the front wheels.

Maybe Lincoln buyers don't care about such things, but Lincoln is trying to attract more than their 8K per month. D6 will fix this defect of design so clearly even they know it matters.
Only area where it doesn't matter as much I would argue is crossovers. However I always had a soft spot for the proportions of the Infiniti EX and FX crossovers and it's such a shame seeing the new QX60 next to it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
(WE ASSUME AND HOPE/PRAY) D6 will fix this defect of design so clearly even they know it matters.
Here's to hoping. I'm not saying it doesn't matter entirely. It's an influence on design, and I get that. But not make-or-break. Additionally, from what we can see in the Continental prototypes, it's not nearly as bad as the XTS (just an example) and the overall design looks reasonably well suited for the segment. I think it's shape is a lot nicer than this Hyundai as well.

Apologies for my profanity lately (particularly @2b2), I will tone it down.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Here's to hoping. I'm not saying it doesn't matter entirely. It's an influence on design, and I get that. But not make-or-break. Additionally, from what we can see in the Continental prototypes, it's not nearly as bad as the XTS (just an example) and the overall design looks reasonably well suited for the segment. I think it's shape is a lot nicer than this Hyundai as well.

Apologies for my profanity lately (particularly @2b2), I will tone it down.
'Sources' confirm this as fact. I know nothing but have no reason to doubt what I've been told.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
If only.....

vs

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I like the interior (it is much better than that of the CT6), but the exterior is a random mish-mash of incohesive design cues.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I just play "Let's you & him fight" with Ford & Lincoln then root for the little guy...
...it's probably easier for me since my pantheon of gods is on hiatus

so far / imho
the best thing about the interior (maybe whole car) is that the upholstery isN'T diamond-quilted

first thing that irks me is the double latch mech that looks wingy ...that looks wingy... whyWhy??

re: the exterior (so far)
something odd/strange** about the C-pillar both pleases me & bugs me
+
it looks like a different designer from the front = confuses me

** I *like* strange (usually), "odd" not so much
The interior LOOKS nice, but I wonder how quality will be. I sat in both the Genesis and current-gen Equus at the auto show, and certain parts of the interior are just plain cheap (interior door handles especially....they looked and felt like cheap plastic that would snap off quickly). Maybe they've fixed that with this car, but we'll see.

Regarding the "winged" look fo those buttons, I think they were going for a play/mirror off the winged Genesis logo.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If only.....

vs
I absolutely agree. Don't get me wrong I love the Taurus.

The Interceptor concept in my opinion should have become the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis/Marauder & Lincoln Town Car.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I know we're Lincoln fans here, but you also have to remember that Lincoln is doing this on the cheap with minimal technical expertise and investment. Their product makes smart business sense but as a piece of engineering it's nothing to be excited by unless maximizing margins excites you. The Continental will be a good car for Lincoln, it will remain irrelevant to the global luxury market and that's fine for now. Genesis is leapfrogging Lincoln and I'm sure it's not cheap to do so. Both Lincoln and Genesis have very uncertain futures dependent on very different strategies, the outcome won't be known for awhile but I think it's going to be very hard for emerging carmakers like Lincoln, Caddy, Genesis, Acura, and Infiniti to survive long term with very strong core players in the market...there will always be some illegitimacy to some of these brands that they simply can't overcome. Instead I think they will have to be able to sustain their business on very small profitable marketshare.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Lincoln is doing this on the cheap with minimal technical expertise and investment... ...unless maximizing margins excites you...

...Lincoln, Caddy, Genesis, Acura, and Infiniti to survive long term ... have to be able to sustain their business on very small profitable marketshare.
ipso facto :nevreness:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
in the spirit of a Luxury-GAP :nevreness:,
saw a couple near-diametrically-opposed media-droppings:
Buick Lacrosse vs Chevy Malibu ...
which are on the SAME platform (afaik)

Autonews: "A serious shift upscale: What (media) people think of Buick's redesigned LaCrosse"

thread/Autoblog: "New Malibu unloved by critics"

yeah, the 'Bu has little relevance to the Genesis/'EEK90'.
BUT the way the media was gushing over what I'm calling Buick's "check-list Lux" is kinda boggling & seems it's only approved for 'certain' Brands?
I *do* boggle easily...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The Ford Interceptor concept was one of the highlights of the Philly Auto Show when it came to town. SO COOL.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts