Ford Inside News banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Genesis may have more "features" but it is just going to blend in with other cars out there on the road. Features are fine, but there are so many more reasons people want a luxury car.
The Continental will be a very quiet, smooth, and powerful luxury car, that should please the market it was intended for, and will not offend drivers looking to even spend a good deal more.
I see the Continental as a more passionate design, that will stand out and be noticed. The concept design is a great blend of their past and modern ultra-luxury. I feel the Continental might just be what Lincoln would have been if it 'stayed the course' it was on in the sixties, and completely bypassed the seventies through nineties.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Just some food for thought on what we knew of G90 at the time of spy photos vs. what we currently know with Continental.

Nice! In my opinion Continental seems to have a more demanding presence. G90 is sharp, but it seems less "RR-style" commanding.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just some food for thought on what we knew of G90 at the time of spy photos vs. what we currently know with Continental.

Nice! In my opinion Continental seems to have a more demanding presence. G90 is sharp, but it seems less "RR-style" commanding.
Thanks for the nice comparison shots; you're right about the presence of each vehicle while the G90 is nice it certainly seems to be lacking the presence a vehicle of that caliber should have.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Finally! I know why the G90 feels so insubstantial! It has the same tiny wheel wells as the Genesis! The wheels are too small for the body, imho.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the nice comparison shots; you're right about the presence of each vehicle while the G90 is nice it certainly seems to be lacking the presence a vehicle of that caliber should have.
The top pic of the Continental looks better than the better, I think that's because it's the LWB model..it's shear length is imposing

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Installing a huge cow catcher on the front of rather generic/boring big sedan does not work. It's just big and boring.

I think the issue with Hyundai trying to enter the luxury market is that they haven't really established themselves as a more premium consumer brand yet. They are still the cheap/less technologically advanced version of the Japanese model.

This is even worse when all their products look the same. I would expect the NEW sedan to be a departure from the current Genesis or Sonata...but not. Inside and out.

The pecking order seems to be: Honda, Toyota, Nissan (others) then Hyundai/Kia(bought because it is cheaper).

So the idea of spending over $60k for a luxury vehicle made by the company you go to when you can't afford what your really want......is a stretch.

I really don't get Hyundai's logic. Sales are down for both consumer brands and the luxury brand, so they decide to go more upmarket with the same product. Expecting consumers to want to pay more just because it has a different brand.

Unlike Lincoln, and the Continental. Gorgeous design inside and out, advanced technology and now one of the highest levels of service. No comparison.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
People give Lincoln a hard time for switch gear.....the stuff in that G90 looks cheap and ready to break already. The color didn't even seem to match.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Hyundai Announces "Genesis" Luxury Brand

Former Lamborghini exec to head Hyundai's Genesis brand
LeftlaneNews

by Justin King - Dec 28th, 2015

Hyundai has appointed former Lamborghini executive Manfred Fitzgerald to lead its newly formed Genesis brand.

During more than a decade at Lamborghini, Fitzgerald served as the director of branding and design. He is credited with helping the Raging Bull transform from a "prototype car company" to an established luxury marque as sales increased by 10-fold...

..."Based in Hyundai Motor Headquarters Seoul, Mr. Fitzgerald will be in charge of establishing and executing strategies for the Genesis brand as the Senior Vice President," Hyundai said in a statement. "For the brand to set a strong foothold in the global luxury car market, he will take a core role in brand strategy, marketing and other business operations within the Genesis brand."

The Genesis brand will eventually encompass six new models by the end of the decade...

...Unlike most luxury brands operated by mainstream automakers, Hyundai will not establish a separate sales network for its Genesis lineup. The company will also be targeting 'new luxury' buyers, attempting to snag customers who are ready to take a step upmarket but have not yet decided on a particular brand. The strategy appears to acknowledge the difficulties in converting customers who already own a luxury vehicle from an established brand.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Ummm. Sorry but I have to say, the Genesis has the nicest interior you'll find in a sub-50k car. It also rides and drives like a $50k car.

Equus needs some work.

And I'm saying this as a Lincoln fan.
Eh, I sat in the Genesis at the auto show a month or so ago, and was very surprised at some of the obviously cheap materials used, especially like the door handles and similar things like that. Same went for the Kia K900. The handles on both seemed like they'd snap off over time they were that cheap feeling.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

I was in the back of a Genesis a couple years ago and the headroom was terrible. Another issue for me was the grab handle above the door seemed to stick out and almost contact my head.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I remember sitting in the Equus at the NY Auto Show and a lot of the switches like the power seat switched were really flimsy and cheap. Later that week Autoline had one of those online shows with a chat box and I mentioned that and others agreed with me that had sat in the car.

Genesis on the other hand I can't complain about, one that I sat in was very well done. My biggest issue was that only the drivers seat was heated and cooled while the passenger was heated only which they fixed with the redesign.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Envoy says, "Guys, The Genesis G90 Is The Real Deal"

swiped from Envoy4Life @ GMI

Moving onto the interior, throw out EVERYTHING you know about the Equus and the Hyundai company in general; this car means business. Leather is soft, abundant, and supple, virtually everything that you can touch is covered in either leather, metal, or wood, and the attention to detail is fantastic. Even the headliner feels fantastic and of very high quality. The back seat is huge, roomy, and everything is high quality.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Very nice car, a little on the bland side, but a very nice interior and inoffensive exterior priced right can go a long ways!

What is the red triangle in the center of the dash? Hazard lights? It sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The interior looks so dated and boring.
The whole car looks like Buick's interpretation of a Mercedes in 1999!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
not sure this is the most recent G90 thread...
Genesis G90 to start at $69K in US market
LeftlaneNews.com

Reflecting the Korean automaker's ambitious plan for the brand, the flagship sedan will start at $69,050 (including $950 freight). The base model is equipped with a 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6, sending 365 horsepower to the rear wheels.

Opting for all-wheel drive brings the 3.3T package up to $71,550, slightly higher than the 5.0-liter V8 RWD configuration at $70,650. The range-topping all-wheel-drive V8 edition fetches $73,150.

For comparison, the G90's entry point is well above the Cadillac CT6...

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/genesis-g90-to-start-at-69k-in-us-market-92734.html#ixzz4J9vnodGr

older thread
http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/40-asian-competition/14346-genesis-teases-stunning-new-g90-flagship.html

41 - 59 of 59 Posts