Ford Inside News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Stunning Mazda Shinari Concept!​

Mazda has shocked the automotive world today by unveiling the stunning new Shinari four-door coupe concept car at an exclusive event in Milan, Italy. The latest concept is the result of a collaboration between Mazda’s design studios in Germany, the U.S. and Japan and previews the automaker’s future design language.

The new design language has been labeled ‘Kodo’, the Japanese word for soul of motion. Key design elements include the aluminum signature wing and the sculpted body.

Speaking at the Shinari’s unveiling, Mazda design boss Ikuo Maeda said: "this design will lead to the next generation of Mazda design and will lead to other elements." Few other details have been revealed, including whether or not Mazda plans to put the Shinari into production.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1048811_mazda-shinari-concept-previews-future-design-language

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Mazda’s design studios in Germany...
very interesting ^
considering my theory about all German designers being (heavily) on drugs
seriously

actually
I DO like it
BUT
think it's more appropriate for a very limited production car since I think it'd be subject to "CLS-Disease" when it needed an MCE

btw/edit
the source article at AutoNews which is supposedly subscription-only
showed up just fine on my antique puter

with 8 daylight photos
incl:

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very interesting ^
seriously

actually
I DO like it
BUT
think it's more appropriate for a very limited production car since I think it'd be subject to "CLS-Disease" when it needed an MCE
Mazda9 perhaps.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
very interesting ^
seriously

actually
I DO like it
BUT

btw/edit
the source article at AutoNews which is supposedly subscription-only
showed up just fine on my antique puter

with 8 daylight photos
incl:
ha ha ha ha ha ha...i agree, the drugs must be free at car design departments in Germany this days.

i like this concept, but is too much like the Tesla sedan.... or i'm wrong?

·
Registered
334 Posts
This thing is gorgeous! Mazda definitely has its design mojo back after the unfortunate "Nagare" era. Go "Kodo"!

Mazda needs to incorporate this front end design on the Mazda3 like yesterday. I would like to see an abbreviated 2011 model year for the Mazda3 with a 2012 refresh available sometime during the first half of next year. A new front end, 6-speed auto, and other minor modifications need to be done to keep this car current, competitive, and near the top of the segment. I would also like to see them offer some of the s Grand Touring features, equipment, and color choices on a new i Grand Touring trim. There may be some customers who want some of the top trim options with the smaller and more fuel efficient engine.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
reminds me of the Tesla Model S

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
reminds me of the Tesla Model S
MAZDA’S NEW DESIGN THEME - AutolineDetroit.tv
Mazda just unveiled its new design theme, one that it’s calling “kodo,” which translates into “soul of motion.” It was developed by the current head of Mazda’s Design Division, Ikuo Maeda. Of course, he had to come up with a new design theme. That’s because his predecessor Lars van den Acker left him with Mazda’s prior design theme called nagare. But then van den Acker went to Renault. And actually much of the nagare design work was done by Franz von Holzhausen, who started at VW, moved to GM where he did the Solstice concept car, ended up at Mazda to do the Nagare theme work, then left for Tesla where he did the Model S. And I mention all this just to show you just how crazy the design-end of this business can be. And it sure explains why Ikuo Maeda would want a new design theme. After all, who wants to head up a design department and have to promote someone else’s design?

·
Registered
334 Posts
good to see you, cire_1wb

TOTALLY agree they need to replace their smilie faces (& the whole, ruined Mazda5) IMMEDIATELY

more pix - Autoblog

many more & bigger at Autoblog
If Mazda were to change the grille treatment and remove the awkward curvy lines from the new gen Mazda5, then I think it would look fine. The straight character line that runs just below the door handles and the gently curved one on the lower portion of the doors can be retained, but the odd looking curving lines between these 2 character lines seriously need to go.

I like the overall design of the current Mazda3 sedan, but the ridiculous looking grille treatment is a deal breaker to me.

The overall design of the 5-door version of the current Mazda3 has been ruined. It looks bottom heavy for some reason, especially towards the rear. I think Opel actually did a better job than Mazda in creating a new gen Mazda3 5-door with its new gen Astra 5-door. To me, the new gen Astra 5-door looks more like what I think a 2nd gen Mazda3 5-door should have looked like.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
MAZDA’S NEW DESIGN THEME - AutolineDetroit.tv
Mazda just unveiled its new design theme, one that it’s calling “kodo,” which translates into “soul of motion.” It was developed by the current head of Mazda’s Design Division, Ikuo Maeda. Of course, he had to come up with a new design theme. That’s because his predecessor Lars van den Acker left him with Mazda’s prior design theme called nagare. But then van den Acker went to Renault. And actually much of the nagare design work was done by Franz von Holzhausen, who started at VW, moved to GM where he did the Solstice concept car, ended up at Mazda to do the Nagare theme work, then left for Tesla where he did the Model S. And I mention all this just to show you just how crazy the design-end of this business can be. And it sure explains why Ikuo Maeda would want a new design theme. After all, who wants to head up a design department and have to promote someone else’s design?
That would explain it!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
If Mazda were to change the grille treatment and remove the awkward curvy lines from the new gen Mazda5, then I think it would look fine. The straight character line that runs just below the door handles and the gently curved one on the lower portion of the doors can be retained, but the odd looking curving lines between these 2 character lines seriously need to go...
like this?
< click (from last Jan.)
or
even more de-crease-ing?

·
Registered
334 Posts
like this?
< click (from last Jan.)
or
even more de-crease-ing?
I'd say even more de-creasing. The only upper accent line that I would leave is the one that starts at the turn signal repeater light on the front fender and ends up wrapping around the top of the taillights on the decklid. I don't think the other 2 creases are needed at all.

You're closer, but not quite there (imho).

To me, "Nagare" was simply a bad idea. Adding creases and sculpturing to create visual interest is a good idea, but it can be overdone. "Nagare" is an example of overdoing it.

Go "Kodo"!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts