·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three Reasons Why Ford Can Make Lincoln Shine
CNBC Behind the Wheel

Monday, 4 Oct 2010 | 9:42 AM ET Text Size
By: Phil LeBeau

Today in Dearborn, Lincoln dealers from across the country will meet to learn how Ford plans to make the forgotten brand relevant again.

The snickers you hear in Detroit and around the country are from scores in the auto industry who think Ford CEO Alan Mulally won't be able work his magic on one of two remaining brands at Ford.

Look past that skepticism and there are three reasons Lincoln could be relevant and compete in the luxury car business.

1. Ford's commitment is long term
2. Lincoln dealerships will be required to go upscale- truly upscale
3. Lincoln will set itself apart with technology and a refined look

Full text at the link

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There's no question that they can, if they give it the effort they gave to Ford.
Now that they are talking about paying down ALL of their debt by the end of next year..all that profit will have to go somewhere!

It seemed that they may have been misleading us here lately, saying that Lincoln would stay in their current price range, and that models would be differentiated from Fords akin to the Edge/MKX.
Watching Mercury die, and seeing Lincoln sales lagging the market, and knowing the Town Car has a short future, made me doubt Lincolns chances using their current formula. I am glad to see there are signs of life now.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Life in Lincoln? i will believe in Lincoln new life when i see this:
1.- The new compact car. I want to see the style and the equipment of this car. This is the "young people" car for Lincoln.
2.- The new "flagship". This car will define the entire new Lincoln line.
3.- A RWD platform for Lincoln. This could be possible because the Falcon in Australia and the Mustang will retain the RWD configuration. Without RWD cars, the road to succes will be hard for Lincoln

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Life in Lincoln? i will believe in Lincoln new life when i see this:
1.- The new compact car. I want to see the style and the equipment of this car. This is the "young people" car for Lincoln.
2.- The new "flagship". This car will define the entire new Lincoln line.
3.- A RWD platform for Lincoln. This could be possible because the Falcon in Australia and the Mustang will retain the RWD configuration. Without RWD cars, the road to succes will be hard for Lincoln
well that's exactly it, they will have to wait till the next platform from the stang and falcon cause the current falcon platform is RHD only

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wonder who from Design shepherded the 'new Lincoln look'? It almost has to have been Moray Callum (a good thing in my opinion), as the guy they hired from Hyundai to take over the Americas is presumably too new to have had much impact.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Design
Technology
Materials
Done right, yes..keeping the current formula, no.

Design has to be to the point that you can not see the Ford peaking out from behind the curtains.
It should be done on stretched platforms with unique greenhouses, doors etc. It needs to carry over to the interior as well.

The Tech part has to be something standard and exclusive on Lincoln, and not available on Ford. Unique options are great..unique standard features are better.

Materials have to be looked at in all areas, not just seat fabric, but seat design. Lincoln needs to have great console and dash material, but also needs to consider carpeting, headliners, door panels and trunk linings.

I would add upgraded or unique engines, suspensions, and transmissions as well. Lincoln should have at least 50HP more than the most offered by Ford on their version of the platform.

So, the next MKS should have it's wheelbase stretched a few inches, have uniquely designed interiors covered with better materials everywhere, have a 415 HP engine tied to an 8 speed tranny, and offer some unique techno gizmo as standard. It better look bold and beautiful too, right down to it's logo. That may get people thinkin Lincoln again

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Done right, yes..keeping the current formula, no.

Design has to be to the point that you can not see the Ford peaking out from behind the curtains.
It should be done on stretched platforms with unique greenhouses, doors etc. It needs to carry over to the interior as well.

The Tech part has to be something standard and exclusive on Lincoln, and not available on Ford. Unique options are great..unique standard features are better.

Materials have to be looked at in all areas, not just seat fabric, but seat design. Lincoln needs to have great console and dash material, but also needs to consider carpeting, headliners, door panels and trunk linings.

I would add upgraded or unique engines, suspensions, and transmissions as well. Lincoln should have at least 50HP more than the most offered by Ford on their version of the platform.

So, the next MKS should have it's wheelbase stretched a few inches, have uniquely designed interiors covered with better materials everywhere, have a 415 HP engine tied to an 8 speed tranny, and offer some unique techno gizmo as standard. It better look bold and beautiful too, right down to it's logo. That may get people thinkin Lincoln again

Lincoln is already set to get its own V6 and Transmission

The thing is Lincolns already have unique leather and seat designs, if you look at the MKS and Taurus seats they are very different, going a step further is needed like you said

1 - 8 of 8 Posts