Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Toyota Motor Corporation is adopting SmartDeviceLink, Ford’s open-source smartphone app interface software; automotive suppliers QNX Software Systems and UIEvolution also are adopting the technology, with plans to integrate it into their products

- Automakers PSA Peugeot Citroën, Honda, Subaru and Mazda are also investigating the software standard

- Like Ford SYNC® AppLink™ on Ford vehicles, SmartDeviceLink on non-Ford vehicles allows Spotify, Glympse, iHeartRadio and other smartphone apps to be easily accessed by drivers using voice recognition and dashboard controls

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/01/04/toyota-adopts-ford-smartdevicelink-software.html

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hands free Spotify? I'd use that. I'd LOVE that. Who wouldn't use that? Lol such negativity.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
No they already have CarPlay/Android Auto now, and nobody uses App Link to begin with. You can't get developers to bother with something that is so proprietary with VERY few users.
To be fair, I'm just reading about AppLink now and I haven't heard much about it. I have heard of it, but not much of its capabilities. I have MFT in the '13 Escape and wasn't aware of AppLink's existence, mostly because it isn't my daily driver. It doesn't have so few users because it's bad software obviously, because look at some of the big names checking out the software and investing time and effort into learning more about it or even utilizing it. It has few users because I don't think it was very heavily marketed at all. Everyone knows SYNC. No one knows it is capable of doing this because MFT was such a bear to deal with they probably said "screw it" and plugged in their AUX cord. This should be less of an issue with better systems. Even if it is seriously challenged by Android or Apple systems, there's no reason to put down good open source software that other manufacturers are clearly interested in. Ford wouldn't have made it open source if they wanted it to just disappear with the addition of Android stuff into their vehicles.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No they already have CarPlay/Android Auto now, and nobody uses App Link to begin with. You can't get developers to bother with something that is so proprietary with VERY few users.
open source and heavy hitters adopting it with many more looking into it sounds like a recipe for more adopters to me.
:x

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ford is not willing to give up it's dash to Google or Apple, Toyota at least inquiring about is shows that they are not willing to either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts