Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breaking: Toyota Gives Scion Brand the Axe
Youth-targeted brand is dropped after 13 years.
MotorTrend

Alex Nishimoto Words - February 2, 2016

...According to a report by CarBuzzard.com journalist BJ Killeen, Scion employees were briefed on Tuesday ahead of an announcement to be made Wednesday...

- - - - - - -

Breaking News: Scion is Dead
CarBuzzard.com

February 2, 2016 | By BJ Killeen

Word on the street is that tomorrow morning, the Scion division of Toyota will cease to exist. At a top-secret meeting this afternoon, employees were told that the division, which started with the xA and xB in 2002 as 2003 models, wouldn’t see it’s 14th anniversary. Those who were laid off were told they would need to reapply for other jobs at Toyota, which also means moving to Texas. A formal announcement will be made tomorrow morning at 9 am...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I can't say I am heart broken. This brand really never made sense to me it's only sold in the US right? All of those models could be Toyotas and it wouldn't change a **** thing.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The biggest casualty I see out of this is the BRZ. Subaru deserves to have that car. I sure hope the FRS moves to Toyota for the US market as a GT86 (er even FRS since that's known here).

As for the rest of the Scion brand... I have a theory. Their new, disgusting rebadge of a Mazda (Scion iA) makes me think more about FCA.

I have a theory about a Mazda/FCA team-up or acquisition in some regard. With the now dead 200 and Dart singing their swan song, Mazda and FCA makes even more sense. Has the chrysler group ever worked with Toyota in the past? Think they would, or could the Mazda 2 be the only vehicle Toyota buys from them?

Just theories.

But I totally digress, sorry.

Edit: great to hear the FRS will live. Toyota better give it a TURBO.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Road and Track
UPDATE:
Toyota made an official announcement confirming its intention to kill off the Scion brand and absorb most of its lineup. The Scion iA, iM, FR-S, and the upcoming C-HR will be rebadged as Toyotas, while the tC will cease production in August.

- - - meanwhile - - -

Toyota's fuel-thrifty Prius family may decrease as the automaker ponders strategy
AutomotiveNews

David Undercoffler
February 2, 2016

...The Prius family's best year was 2012, and sales have declined since. The regular liftback's age shares some of the blame; after some delays a redesigned fourth generation went on sale in January...
...But consumers' unending appetite for light trucks plus cheap gasoline mean the Prius isn't the darling of the showroom that it once was. Toyota knows its original goal from 2011 is no longer possible, and it's recalibrating expectations.

"Given all the changes in consumers' preferences right now, I don't think we're forecasting the Prius to be our top volume seller anymore," said Bill Fay, Toyota Division general manager.

The future of the V in particular will also depend on a new hybrid in Toyota's quiver -- one without the Prius name: the first RAV4 Hybrid, which went on sale at the end of 2015.

While the RAV4 Hybrid's fuel economy of 34 mpg city/31 highway/33 combined can't match the Prius V's 44 mpg city/40 highway/42 combined, it comes with a potent combination of practicality, more style and all-wheel drive.

"We'll have to see how well the RAV4 Hybrid does," Lentz said. "Because the RAV4 could really take the place of the Prius V."...

...Mike Sullivan, owner of the 10-store LAcarGuy network of dealerships in Southern California...says losing the V while keeping the C would be fine with him...

...The C is sold as the Yaris in Europe and as the Aqua in Japan, where it's been the most popular car from 2013 through 2015. The Prius V is known as the Prius+, a seven-passenger multipurpose vehicle, in Europe...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The Mazda 2 and 3 are a perfect example of how RWD proportions aren't always best. On smaller cars I think traditional FWD proportions are superior, the Focus even at it's advanced age is a balanced design where the 2 and 3 are just odd. The 6 is beautiful using the same basic design, enlarged.

It's all about proportions, the 6 has it, the 2 and 3 do not.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Road and Track
UPDATE:
Toyota made an official announcement confirming its intention to kill off the Scion brand and absorb most of its lineup. The Scion iA, iM, FR-S, and the upcoming C-HR will be rebadged as Toyotas, while the tC will cease production in August.
Makes sense since all models except the iA, were Toyotas to begin with.

In Canada the Scion iA (Mazda 2 sedan) is sold as a Toyota Yaris sedan.

Toyota Vios/Yaris sedan elsewhere seems to have a better executed (cohesive) design.

The Mazda 2-rebadge probably handles better though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am glad most of the Scion cars continue, especially the iM (should just be Corolla hatchback), but I favor fewer brands and am glad to see Scion go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You know the funny thing is I was on the scion website two days ago just curious about what they offered (didn't know xb was still around) and was thinking that they seemed as if they were letting products rot so they could slowly kill the brand. I just don't get the point of spending money to promote and badge the Im and Ia when they had thoughts of killing the brand especially with fr-s flopping. Scion was a pointless and cheesy "youth brand" and this is coming from their target youth market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts