Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest copy of Trucking Times arrived at my store today and has the comparative sales figures for May/June 2006. Here are the main things that jumped out at me.

GM was up slightly in May 2007 compared to May 2006. Ford was down about 15% in the same comparison. For June, GM was down around 22% and Ford was down 17%. Fords loss of volume across the two months compared to the same period in 2006 was the largest in the group.

Toyota was the only gainer in both comparisons and it was huge! May '07 compared to May '06, for the Tundra alone, was up over 120%! June '07 compared to June '06 was up 146%.

The Tacoma was up by similar percentages in its class.

All of the other makes and models of full-size pickups were down somewhere between GM and Ford. The Honda Ridgeline was down only 2% in one of the two months, but I left the magazine at the store so I'll have to check that on Monday.

If the numbers are telling an accurate story, it looks like Toyota is taking market share from everyone else even in a difficult selling market.

We've been skewing our inventory toward GM and Ford for quite a while but we may need to consider increasing the Toyota inventory.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Sounds like Tundra is pulling a Titan, the moment the hyped buy, sales are going to cool, for Toyota. The Tacoma is without argument, the best truck in its segment. Ford/GM dropped the ball. Dodge is bringinig a new Truck which might take thunder from frontier and Tacoma

Read More HERE

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
The new Tundra appears to be a solid truck amidst better trucks by Ford and GM. But we all know that Toyota views their entree into an entirely new and hot segment of full size trucks (even with gas prices high), while offering $4k in spiffs to move them in that month, as less than acceptable. They certainly can't keep that up for long. I am surprised by GM's lack-luster sales last month. But I think Ford outsold Chevy and Toyota in that same month with their outgoing model.

Perhaps you should not be to quick to skew your inventory just yet;)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The new Tundra appears to be a solid truck amidst better trucks by Ford and GM. But we all know that Toyota views their entree into an entirely new and hot segment of full size trucks (even with gas prices high), while offering $4k in spiffs to move them in that month, as less than acceptable. They certainly can't keep that up for long. I am surprised by GM's lack-luster sales last month. But I think Ford outsold Chevy and Toyota in that same month with their outgoing model.

Perhaps you should not be to quick to skew your inventory just yet;)
I have test driven all three.
Tundra cannot compete with F150 or Silvarado, except on price and the Badge, for all the cool aid drinkers.
However, the Silvarado is much better, than the F150, especially in its driving dynamics, but, I think that is becouse its a newer truck, the F150 is still solid.
This from a GM fan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We actually base our inventory on sales patterns over the previous 2-3 months and, so far, we haven't seen enough of a shift to do anything more than bring in a couple of the most popular items for Toyota.

For some reason, we had three Ridgelines in one day, but that appears to be anomalous. There's been no steady increase in activity for either Toyota or Honda reflected in our sales history.

I just thought the data was interesting enough to post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts