·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tundra, the untold story
By Ndwariga
Fomoconews
(A Joe six pack observation)

We have all seen the headlines over the last three months. "Toyota's new Tundra strikes fear among Big 3" Detroit News screamed for example. They even had a Toyota supplied photo to (inserted) show how scared Detroit was of there new all perfect truck.

However evidence is mounting that Toyota did not have as good of a 2007 first quarter with the Tundra as they would like you to believe. There are indications that neither was their launch as smooth. Trouble began a while back. Toyota the master of automotive efficiency ran a bloated American size budget overran with the new tundra plant in Texas than was ever expected by their number crunchers. It cost a whooping double than they planned at first. That sounded unusual.
The first indications of trouble was sometimes last year when it so happened that GM synonymous with inefficiency could actually pull ahead of schedule and launch their GMT 900’s a whole year ahead of plan while Toyota, was struggling with aligning their engine and power train factories to meet their launch deadline forcing the masters over at the land of rising sun to recall their US point man to take on greenies PR removing him from automobile Dom, and pushing back the launch to January 07 from the planned Mid 2006 launch. GM was not only able to launch their SUV’s on time, but they were able to pull their pick ups forward to beat Tundra to the Market by a whole quarter.
The kicker was that the GM project was far more complex than the Toyota version with products covering Cadillac, Chevy and GMC… and myriad of options from engines to configurations to interior designs to dashboards to virtually all aspects of a vehicle construction and multiple manufacturing sites covering North America. (Unlike Toyota single plant operation) Though this was an amazing fete, no one in the drive by media noted that the GMT 900’s launch was perhaps on a scale that no other auto company has ever attempted save for Ford with their last launch of the F150 family. GM achieved this while simultaneously revamping Saturn, and launch a slew of other products that any automotive nut does not require me to go into.
Back to Toyota, we in the automotive forum world know every single thing going on around automobile Dom. We do not care whether you are testing your ride in Timbuktu, we will find you. Hence we did not miss it when ‘Fordophiles’ caught F150’s F250’s.Silverado’s and Rams doing the donkeywork for a Toyota Tundra commercial.
Then it so happened that despite all their efforts, Toyota could not top the comparisons in most auto magazines. Though they were getting a typical 'ridgeline shake" compared to a "why Ford is bankrupt" shake. The GM trucks won. Ford and Dodge are much older trucks, but they more than held their own despite financial constraints at home.
Another blow happened to Turaku Tundra when we revealed HERE that the government tested the Tundra and it found out that it may look tough, but you are not so safe in it. It could not manage a 5 star crash test score.

As if things were not bad enough, reports in automobile underworld, the forums contend that Toyota masters have already spent $5,000.00 to promote every truck to be sold and soon more reports started surfacing of GMC and Ford line managers giving their boys talking points as to why their trucks are better. They range from boxed frame design to everything that a truck guy wants.
Last week we learnt that a majority of Tundra’s being sold are crew cabs. It turns out that the governornator of the State of California would call it a girly truck because real construction boys love their F150’s and are not interested in a show truck from land of the rising sun. It’s a truck for Camry royalists they contend. Anyways, their F150’s are still running, why rush to buy another one? That said, Tundra is not really making inroads in true truck land.
Lastly we have heard reports of cash on the hood like this story HERE that Toyota boys are thinking they perhaps did not do their math right. While Ford and its Co Detroiter GM have been slashing rebates on trucks, Toyota was considering adding them. What they did not tell you is that you could in fact get up to $6,000.00 off Tundra.

As the drive by’s are not telling you about the real deals, In San Diego, which to Toyota is better than Japan in relation to market penetration Toyota is offering an additional $4,000.00 in addition to the advertised $2,000.00. I know there is usually a back office arrangement between Toyota and dealers for this sort of stuff.
The picture there is an Authentic advertisement on the San Diego Union Tribune. If that is the Cash on hood you can get in San Diego, you can surely get up to $7,000.00 in greater Los Angeles market place. That is just how So Cal works
I think we have another Titan/Ridgeline on our hands. Despite how the masters spin it :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
Toyota needed more than this truck to take on Detroit. The GM trucks look so much better exterior wise and the interiors of the GMs and F-150 are far far ahead of the Tundra. Lots of people were saying the same thing that Detroit will no longer be the truck leader when the Titan came out. But the F-150 killed it, and the Titan 3 years later still hasnt caught on.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The Big news

Is not that Toyota is having trouble with sales for this truck, this was bound to fail.. the news is that, it was touted as the final blow to detroit... when finally, Toyota was doing everything Detroit did and was beating them.
The rebates this early in the model run is not a good sign.

However, I think the bigger battle is whether Detroit can open a front on the import dominated FWD market for Sedans. If Detroit can give the Japanese company a run for money there, and force them to pile rebates to move metal, then They might beat a retreat.
This Turf defense without Japan Inc having to fight wars in all fronts is bound to end in a loss for Detroit.

The Key is, Detroit should play in all segments.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Is not that Toyota is having trouble with sales for this truck, this was bound to fail.. the news is that, it was touted as the final blow to detroit... when finally, Toyota was doing everything Detroit did and was beating them.
The rebates this early in the model run is not a good sign.

However, I think the bigger battle is whether Detroit can open a front on the import dominated FWD market for Sedans. If Detroit can give the Japanese company a run for money there, and force them to pile rebates to move metal, then They might beat a retreat.
This Turf defense without Japan Inc having to fight wars in all fronts is bound to end in a loss for Detroit.

The Key is, Detroit should play in all segments.
I could not agree more. Battle for utility trucks: Detroit 2, Japan 0 ; and battle for sedans: Detroit 1, Japan 3 ?

M

·
0 Posts
This truck (Tundra) is proof that, Toyota has already cut its pie in USA. those that buy trucks do not think like Camry and accord buyers

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
According to Autoweek.com, Toyota is still having problems with the Toyota Tundra. They obviously misjudged the demand for the CrewMax variation versus the demand for the Regular Cab models.

Feel free to read the article here at Autoweek.com

I have seen a few new Tundra's on the road here in Las Vegas, and all I can say is it still looks too Japanese for the American Truck Market.

As many have stated, Truck buyers do not think like Camry and Accord buyers. They are willing to wait to get the exact Truck that they want and will not be convinced to take what is just sitting on the Dealer's Lot. That is a lesson that Toyota is having to learn on the fly. Ford, GM, and Dodge have known this for a long time and have perfected the art of offering a vast array of configurations and options to personalize your truck exactly how you want it. Toyota and Nissan still have a lot to learn.

Plus when you compare the price of the Base Trim Regular Cab Tundra at $22,935 (Shipping Included) with the Regular Cab Chevrolet Silverado at $18,760 (Shipping Included) or with the Regular Cab Ford F-150 at $19,200...then you see why Toyota has to offer almost $6000.00 in Incentives to move the Regular Cab Tundra!

Detroit will still hold the lead in the Truck Market because trucks are an American Institution and Truck Buyers are as Loyal as they come. There is a devotion to Brand Loyalty when it comes to Trucks that no car can ever match. A Ford man will never consider a Silverado, Ram, or a Tundra. A Chevy boy will scoff at an F-150, Titan, or Tundra. This is yet another Lesson that the Japanese and possibly the Koreans will have to learn.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
764 Posts
According to Autoweek.com, Toyota is still having problems with the Toyota Tundra. They obviously misjudged the demand for the CrewMax variation versus the demand for the Regular Cab models.

Feel free to read the article here at Autoweek.com

I have seen a few new Tundra's on the road here in Las Vegas, and all I can say is it still looks too Japanese for the American Truck Market.

As many have stated, Truck buyers do not think like Camry and Accord buyers. They are willing to wait to get the exact Truck that they want and will not be convinced to take what is just sitting on the Dealer's Lot. That is a lesson that Toyota is having to learn on the fly. Ford, GM, and Dodge have known this for a long time and have perfected the art of offering a vast array of configurations and options to personalize your truck exactly how you want it. Toyota and Nissan still have a lot to learn.

Plus when you compare the price of the Base Trim Regular Cab Tundra at $22,935 (Shipping Included) with the Regular Cab Chevrolet Silverado at $18,760 (Shipping Included) or with the Regular Cab Ford F-150 at $19,200...then you see why Toyota has to offer almost $6000.00 in Incentives to move the Regular Cab Tundra!

Detroit will still hold the lead in the Truck Market because trucks are an American Institution and Truck Buyers are as Loyal as they come. There is a devotion to Brand Loyalty when it comes to Trucks that no car can ever match. A Ford man will never consider a Silverado, Ram, or a Tundra. A Chevy boy will scoff at an F-150, Titan, or Tundra. This is yet another Lesson that the Japanese and possibly the Koreans will have to learn.

RG59061
I have seen a few around too, not as much as I thought I would have seen by now, and I have only seen Double Cabs, even though the dealer has plenty of Crew Maxes on the lot. As I have said before, the Tundra still is behind the competition in every way except power, where the 5.7L is a pretty sweet motor. But its towing is beat by the F-150, styling is beat by every other truck except the Titan, and the interior materials and quality is not close to the now 4 year old F-150 and new GM trucks. It just seems like an unfinsihed truck.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen 3 I think in San Diego.. all Crew Cabs.. real Fugly and out of proportion:D

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have seen 3 I think in San Diego.. all Crew Cabs.. real Fugly and out of proportion:D
For me, its those BIG rear lights that are way too big for the truck. I don t think that can be too good for a construction site where stuff like that is easily broken.

U

·
0 Posts
Maybe this ndwariga guy read up on the commercial Toyota put out with the teeter-tawter!
I believe the 4 grand off is for regular cab only. They are really trying to push them because they were over-optioned and are sitting on the lots.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really, I have not see that commercial.. I do not know who teeter is.. but one thing is sure.. if you are pilling rebates on a brand new product.. we have a problem.. not only that...

I doubt truck buyers read that teeter

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Toyota made an error in estimating the demand for the Regular Cab model of the new Toyota Tundra while at the same time, it under-estimated demand for the Four-Door Crew Max Cab. Because of this...Toyota is scrambling to adjust its manufacturing lines to meet the adjusted demand. Unfortunately, a large supply of Regular Cabs were built before this demand shift was realized and now Toyota needs to spark interest in the Regular Cab Tundra.

Unfortunately, $4,000 to $6,000 on the hood of a brand new model only comes accross with one message...despiration! Toyota is learning the hard way that the American Truck Market will not be as easy to crack as the Car Market was. Of course that was granted that American Manufacturers were so caught up with SUVs that they didn't even attempt to stop Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hynudai from taking the US Car Market away from them.

Trucks...that will be a different story all together.

Long Live The F-Series...America's Best Selling Truck...Yesterday, Today and Forever!

RG59061

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toyota made an error in estimating the demand for the Regular Cab model of the new Toyota Tundra while at the same time, it under-estimated demand for the Four-Door Crew Max Cab. Because of this...Toyota is scrambling to adjust its manufacturing lines to meet the adjusted demand. Unfortunately, a large supply of Regular Cabs were built before this demand shift was realized and now Toyota needs to spark interest in the Regular Cab Tundra.

Unfortunately, $4,000 to $6,000 on the hood of a brand new model only comes accross with one message...despiration! Toyota is learning the hard way that the American Truck Market will not be as easy to crack as the Car Market was. Of course that was granted that American Manufacturers were so caught up with SUVs that they didn't even attempt to stop Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hynudai from taking the US Car Market away from them.

Trucks...that will be a different story all together.

Long Live The F-Series...America's Best Selling Truck...Yesterday, Today and Forever!

RG59061
Just dropped off my corolla at Kearny Mesa Toyota for service, Sales person hinted me a $3,000.00 discount for a crew cab...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts