Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UAW applauds auto loans, but says workers must not be singled out for unfair conditions
DETROIT -- "We're pleased that the Bush administration has acted today to provide urgently needed emergency bridge loans to America’s auto companies and to pursue a process for restructuring outside of bankruptcy," said UAW President Ron Gettelfinger. "This will keep the doors of America's factories open, keep Americans working and prevent the devastating economic consequences for millions of Americans and thousands of businesses that would have resulted from a liquidation of operations by one or more auto companies."

The UAW, Gettelfinger said, is reviewing the documents released today. "All stakeholders -- management, directors, bondholders, suppliers, dealers, workers -- will have to participate in shared sacrifices to help the industry move forward," he said, noting that UAW members have already made substantial sacrifices to help make the domestic auto companies more competitive.

"While we appreciate that President Bush has taken the emergency action needed to help America's auto companies weather the current financial crisis, we are disappointed that he has added unfair conditions singling out workers," said Gettelfinger. "These conditions were not included in the bipartisan legislation endorsed by the White House, which passed the House of Representatives and which won support from a majority of senators.

"We will work with the Obama administration and the new Congress to ensure that these unfair conditions are removed," said Gettelfinger, "as we join in the coming months with all stakeholders to create a viable future for the U.S. auto industry."

LINK

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ron knows his politics ! The Obama Team will let them off the hook with only a few concessions.

I suspect the Jobs Bank will die, maybe even before the end of 2009.

I also see the supplemental pay that carries UAW workers at 95% of their salary (when combined with unemployment) getting the ax.

UAW workers need to realize this is all about looking good to the rest of America who did not want you to have the bridge loans to begin with.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron knows his politics ! The Obama Team will let them off the hook with only a few concessions.

I suspect the Jobs Bank will die, maybe even before the end of 2009.

I also see the supplemental pay that carries UAW workers at 95% of their salary (when combined with unemployment) getting the ax.

UAW workers need to realize this is all about looking good to the rest of America who did not want you to have the bridge loans to begin with.
If Obama protects these unions, the companies are dead anyways. the world is different. Unions clearly need new leadership that understands that for them to protect their workers, company competitiveness is vital.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The unions are by no means being singled out.

And Barack will not go against public opinion, which is very much against the UAW now. He's not going to hurt the UAW, but it's political suicide to allow the UAW to extort money from the USA to maintain the jobs bank and pensions while millions of Americans are getting layed off.

The should just shut their mouth and swallow the bitter pill that the investors, debt holders, and managers all have to swallow as well.

Even if by some miracle that they avoid a big concession now, they'll have to concede more entry level pay to continue survival. And of course, they have to justify their existance to their members.

The UAW's existance is based on very unstable ground now even if GM survives. It's one thing to hold out for better pay from your employer. Now they are screwing with tax revenue.

I only consider Ford and GM products now, but if this keeps up, I'll boycott all UAW products for the rest of my life and all polititians who support them. There is a huge public opinion problem that the UAW must address with very large, very public concessions. End of story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts