Ford Inside News banner

UPDATE: Exclusive: 2016 Lincoln MKS Confirmed for New York Auto Show Debut

120K views 515 replies 58 participants last post by  Willwll313wll 
#1 ·
UPDATE: Exclusive: 2016 Lincoln MKS Confirmed for New York Auto Show Debut

UPDATE: a story by Paul Lienert and Bernie Woodall for Reuters from October 2014 suggests that "a replacement for the MKS large sedan" is coming in "spring 2016." NYIAS is this coming April, not 2016. From my point of view, the authors are referring to the date the 2016 MKS sedan arrives at dealers.

The publication's own sources suggest that the first batch of D6 models are "due in 2019," Aviator included, which leads us to believe our FoMoCo insider was referring to a lengthened and widened Fusion / Mondeo architecture (dubbed CD4.3) and an exclusively all-wheel drive drivetrain ("not RWD"). As such, the 2017 Raptor's 10-speed auto and all-new twin-turbocharged 3.5 V6 EcoBoost are definitely out of the question.

UPDATE 2: H/T to autoevolution reader Alexander Carabitses for this comment: "On the New York Auto Show's website, it shows that a new Lincoln vehicle will debut. What's very likely is for Lincoln to show a concept version of the next MKS." So there you have it, dear skeptics. It wasn't a bluff as most of you labeled this story. You're welcome.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/e...irmed-for-new-york-auto-show-debut-91495.html

See less See more
#10 ·
Ford brass confirmed a Lincoln sedan will be revealed this spring.
There are such high expectations for this first Lincoln Motor Company sedan.

But I don't see the new MKS as riding on the new D6 platform, but an extended version of the current CD4 platform. A sedan in this segment does not need a wider platform, just a longer platform and the new Performance AWD that can send 70% of power to the rear wheels, that debuted on the Focus RS. I see the new wider D6 platform launching with the new Aviator/Explorer/Flex or Continental flagship sedan that's due around the 2019 timeframe.

#15 ·
The MKS is kinda far from production and Lincoln usually likes to build hype in advance with a concept, doesn't a concept seem more likely?
Yeah but for some reason, I really think they are going to try to rain on Cadillac's parade and show the production model with the 9/10 speed trans, new awd system, etc... Kind of how Ford showed the Raptor and GT so early just to be the star of the show. Either way, I can't wait!

#16 ·
...I don't see the MKS debuting before the Taurus...
I dunno, Jose

considering all the vehicles the Ford Brand has already debuted this year,
I don't believe they have any need to show the Taurus yet
& it'd be helpful to let Lincoln have the spotlight ... all the way to LA
+ including the Shanghai Autoshow = production X & S(wic)

#18 ·
The Chinese AutoShow season is about to happen so a Lincoln MKS concept would also make a great show car. And I think the best way to rain on Caddy's parade is to show up with a little bit of fiction. While I expect the MKS to be a nice car...it still is a stretched Fusion and much cheaper than the CT6 and designed for a conservative Chinese audience. I think the only car Lincoln is really concerned about is the new SRX and Lincoln already has their answers on the floor.

#19 ·
iirc (& can't check just now)
the CT6 is going to have some kind of electrified drivetrain available
and of course I've ranted for an mkSuperenergi...
...then today
a thread about '''super sedans''' elsewhere has me wondering if EITHER Lincoln or Cadillac will take their new large-sedan far enough in that direction to create a 'beach head'

#22 ·
The Chinese AutoShow season is about to happen so a Lincoln MKS concept would also make a great show car. And I think the best way to rain on Caddy's parade is to show up with a little bit of fiction. While I expect the MKS to be a nice car...it still is a stretched Fusion and much cheaper than the CT6 and designed for a conservative Chinese audience. I think the only car Lincoln is really concerned about is the new SRX and Lincoln already has their answers on the floor.
Hmmmm, you may be right

#23 ·
I really hope that this sedan sets a new styling trend for Lincoln.
Even though this is really more car than I need, I am hoping that the design would be an indication of the next MKZ, which I would consider if it utilized a more upright design allowing a more usable passenger space.

#26 ·
Is the 9 speed debuting on the MKS unfeasible? I believe that's predominantly for FWD vehicles (correct me if I'm wrong), but perhaps it will be used on AWD as well?
I thought it was 9 speed for FWD vehicles and 10 speed for AWD and RWD, but I'm not positive.

At any rate, we'll be seeing a new transmission!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.