Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volvo XC90 is a hit, 1,927 First Editions sold in 47 hours

The 2015 Volvo XC90 is off to a strong start as the company has announced that all 1,927 First Editions have been sold.
The sale kicked off on Wednesday and most of the special editions were reserved within one hour. Volvo goes on to say during its peak they were selling 7 cars every minute.
As we have previously reported, the XC90 First Edition has an Onyx Black exterior with 21-inch alloy wheels.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114090580782/volvo-xc90-is-a-hit-1927-first-editions-sold-in-47-hours

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
CUV's are back.

With the current XC90 dating back to 2002, anticipation must have been high for the large Volvo, hence the hit status. And for good reason, it has been a stellar product, except for the GM sourced transmission failures early on.

And I am backing up from my original comments on styling of the new one, recognizing instead that it is instead an admirable proliferation of their design DNA, in a segment that is better suited to conservative style. I like it. Not my first choice, but up there.

Oh what could have been for MKT (although I believe Ford is the more direct competitor) had they produced a more attractive update last go-around. It is a great product, hampered only by style. But again, large 7 passenger extreme luxury, is a niche segment.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
what about a MKX 1917 first edition? :D and maybe MKS too!
I had a limited edition idea somewhere in Mission:Lincoln ...I think... there might be another in one of the Mercury missions too

a series of 1917 (or 2017) would be excellent for the 100th anniversary
(tho I'd like it to include some indelibly recognizable feature so you'd know it was special from 100 ft away...
...maybe chrome/stainless rockerpanels?)

maybe for something sooner and after, they could come up with something more modern sounding than "charter" yet more prestigeous sounding than "early adopter"?

tho I'd also like them to try seasonal special editions - could just be new color(s) & a single, different feature-package...
...could be more experimental that [BL]
(with FoMoCo practically specializing in weird times of year to intro vehicles, guess they could only offer one model per season, that wasN'T recently or about to change its modelyear)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The Explorer based Lincoln Aviator can not get here fast enough.

The 7-passenger CUVs are doing very well. They give consumers a luxury choice aside from the giant Escalade/Navigator/Range Rover, that gets better mpg, easier to drive/park and can still transport 7 adults in style.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When and where was it ever said that lincoln is making an aviator? The mkt is based on the explorer's platform. So, I assume what you really mean by "aviator" is the next version , MCE or full redo, of the mkt, either still called the mkt or renamed to aviator. Well?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It's really too bad Ford is killing the Flex. That remains as the best people mover ever by Ford, and still hard to beat across all brands. I miss mine, and with kids growing, I really won't need one any more.
According to my Ford Utility Vehicle Communications contact, the Flex is not going anywhere. Sales may be down -7.4% for the year, but it's still the #1 selling 7 passenger vehicle in the largest auto market in the US.....California where Ford is trying to gain market share. Flex is actually less than 400 units behind the MKX and less than 1k units behind the All New Yukon XL YTD.

Ford does need to retire the old heavy Volvo/Ford platform shares with the soon replaced Taurus, MKS, MKT and Flex. But Taurus will remain Taurus on a new platform, and it's expected that a New Flex will also jump to a new platform(could share the Taurus/Continental LWB platform). S-Max Concept platform is too short as it is.

MKT becomes Aviator sharing the Explorer platform as a derivative of the New Navigator. Or we will have a New MKT/S-MAX and a New Explorer based Aviator for Lincoln targeting two different luxury segments.

·
Registered
287 Posts
According to my Ford Utility Vehicle Communications contact, the Flex is not going anywhere. Sales may be down -7.4% for the year, but it's still the #1 selling 7 passenger vehicle in the largest auto market in the US.....California where Ford is trying to gain market share. Flex is actually less than 400 units behind the MKX and less than 1k units behind the All New Yukon XL YTD.

Ford does need to retire the old heavy Volvo/Ford platform shares with the soon replaced Taurus, MKS, MKT and Flex. But Taurus will remain Taurus on a new platform, and it's expected that a New Flex will also jump to a new platform(could share the Taurus/Continental LWB platform). S-Max Concept platform is too short as it is.

MKT becomes Aviator sharing the Explorer platform as a derivative of the New Navigator. Or we will have a New MKT/S-MAX and a New Explorer based Aviator for Lincoln targeting two different luxury segments.
Okay, that makes sense except for that you said the next exp/mkt would be derived from the navigator... the 'gator is BOF, as you know, so it doesnt make sense they would derive the car based explorer or mkt/aviator from the navigator.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Okay, that makes sense except for that you said the next exp/mkt would be derived from the navigator... the 'gator is BOF, as you know, so it doesnt make sense they would derive the car based explorer or mkt/aviator from the navigator.
Derivative of the Navigator, not meaning based on same platform, but in the same 'family'. As in Range Rover(Navigator) and Range Rover Sport(Aviator), with the MKX below that, then the MKC.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really too bad Ford is killing the Flex. That remains as the best people mover ever by Ford, and still hard to beat across all brands. I miss mine, and with kids growing, I really won't need one any more.
the flex is a nice CUV....they should maintain it in the lineup.....maybe a hybrid could help specially if its biggest market is California

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Derivative of the Navigator, not meaning based on same platform, but in the same 'family'. As in Range Rover(Navigator) and Range Rover Sport(Aviator), with the MKX below that, then the MKC.
nice idea Bloggin but I think that the Aviator could get more sales if it target the MDX.
I think the Range Rover sport is a different kind of vehicle, more like a X5, Ml, Cayenne.....the new XC90 is something between a MDX and a X5 IMHO

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
nice idea Bloggin but I think that the Aviator could get more sales if it target the MDX.
I think the Range Rover sport is a different kind of vehicle, more like a X5, Ml, Cayenne.....the new XC90 is something between a MDX and a X5 IMHO
Vehicle Family: Range Rover/Range Rover Sport = Navigator/Aviator

Marketing position should be like you stated......at the MDX/New Discovery price point.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

isN'T it FuuuuN? ...trying to figure things out before Ford is ready for us to know?

&
there's still my "fancy footwork" with the CD4+, if anyone wants to go further off the deep end...
...thinking it's possible that some unholy 3-way could happen between the Flex, Aviator, & Galaxy
leaving the CD4-Explorer mostly out of it...and quite happy to supply all the volume needed for its variant

re: MDX
somehow I've completely blocked that out of my mind...
...just looking at its dimension now, it might be close to my Mercury metaSport

maybe when my digestion is more settled I'll attempt to look at some photos

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Volvo XC90 is a very compelling product, definitely looking at one when they come out. I love the MKX concept so I hope Lincoln can out-do their former step-sibling because I'd much rather have an American-owned Lincoln than a Chinese-owned Volvo, but for me it comes down to the product.

I personally don't believe the rumors about the Aviator or LincStang. I am tired of getting my hopes up just to be disappointed so I've chosen to focus on what we have in front of us here and now :)

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Volvo developing more upscale XC90

Volvo has confirmed it is developing a more upscale version of the new 2015 XC90 (pictured) exclusively for the Chinese market.

Visually, the yet-unnamed range-topping XC90 will look similar to the standard seven-seater model that was presented last month. The bulk of the differences between the two SUVs will be found inside the cabin, where the more upscale model will offer seating for just four passengers.

The standard XC90's second and third row of seats will be tossed out and replaced by a set of XC90 front seats. Likely upholstered with plush leather, the seats will offer a massage function and they will be heated, cooled and power-adjustable in nearly every possible way. The two seats will be mounted further back than in a stock XC90, clearing up what Volvo promises will be "exceptional" leg room without resorting to the costly solution of stretching the SUV's wheelbase.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/volvo-confirms-more-upscale-xc90.html#ixzz3CjKRMa4z

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I fear that those 1,927 are the only one that want to buy that car...

I still think that the design is dated, plain, simple, unoriginal and generic. Undeserved for a Luxury brand.

·
Registered
267 Posts

I still think that the design is dated, plain, simple, unoriginal and generic. Undeserved for a Luxury brand.
I don't fear that at all. I think there is a lot of pent up demand in the Volvo community and they will lap this thing up! Beyond that, I think it has quite a bit of appeal to those non-Volvoites looking to take it up a notch with their next vehicle. We'll definitely check it, along with a number of others, out when it comes time to dump the Explorer.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

I don't fear that at all. I think there is a lot of pent up demand in the Volvo community and they will lap this thing up! Beyond that, I think it has quite a bit of appeal to those non-Volvoites looking to take it up a notch with their next vehicle. We'll definitely check it, along with a number of others, out when it comes time to dump the Explorer.
the thing with Starting Off with a special edition...
Jose said:
"Volvo developing more upscale XC90"
...is that they could feasibly keep offering S.E. after S.E. after S.E...

·
Registered
267 Posts
the thing with Starting Off with a special edition......is that they could feasibly keep offering S.E. after S.E. after S.E...
Which could offer them a nice amount of flexibility in optioning the cars so that they don't have to commit to generally higher prices for all of the model trims. Kinda like a Black Label type of approach. Keep the standard trims affordable (at least relatively), then step out and have some crazy lux or sporty special editions to appeal to a broader range of buyers. That way, you keep your volume priced competitively, but when folks want something special, they can stay at the Volvo dealership instead of heading to another brand. I expect it would cost more this way, but with S.E. pricing that shouldn't be as much of an issue. It creates some excitement and gives buyers a chance to get something slightly unique.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts