Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid - Autosavant
By Carl Malek on October 31, 2012 in Reviews

This week in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Volkswagen officials offered some new details and information about the the brand’s upcoming 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid. The car is expected to be a leader in achieving the brand’s goal of efficient motoring alongside the diesel powered TDI model and also serve as the last piece in the Jetta lineup which now offers customers five different versions of Jetta to choose from...

...To achieve the company’s claims of balanced performance and efficiency, the Jetta hybrid is powered by a 1.4 liter direct injected turbocharged engine (also found in the new Golf and Audi A3) which works hand-in-hand with a 27 horsepower electric motor to achieve a net rating of 170 horsepower and 184 lb ft of torque. This combination also achieves a 0 to 60 time of 8.6 seconds and a estimated fuel economy rating of 45 mpg. Top speed is 125 miles per hour...

...A rear-mounted 222-volt lithium-ion battery pack supplies the electric power side of the equation and comes equipped with 60 individual battery cells. Impressively, the battery pack weighs in at a scant 80 lbs which is less than many competitors’ battery packs, and allows the Hybrid to retain a reasonably sporting character.

Power is routed through a 7 speed DSG automatic transmission which is the sole transmission choice available on all hybrid trim levels. No manual option currently in the works. The 7 speed DSG includes an “E mode,” which extends the amount of time pure electric power is utilized and can be used at speeds up to 44 mph (higher than the 25mph max on the Prius) for a distance of 1.2 miles before the turbocharged motor kicks into action. In addition to E mode, the car is also equipped with a “E meter” which allows customers to keep an eye on their driving style and to change it accordingly to achieve maximum efficiency...

MORE...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Ford should have Jim Farley, and everyone in their marketing department given a raise. I can imagine that they are quite chuffed that VW a company that preceded Ford with direct injection forced induction engines is being spoken about as if they are following Ford in this area.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ I'm fairly certain without checking
that EcoBoost predates Mr. Farley
(tho SOMEone *did* come up with it to replace 'TwinForce');
iirc his first 'shown work' was the tagline, "Drive One"
which, when combined with other verbiage, as it is/was,
is Brilliant

not a big deal - just saying

re: an EB-Hybrid
I've been wondering if Atkinson engines are worth the cost of development-&-certification
and
if a differentiator for Lincoln could be using EBs for hybrids

&
a VDub-fanboy
prolley wouldn't use "EB" as their significator of choice
(too bad FoMoCo hasn't been that successful in 'owning' DCT's with "PowerShift" ...yet)
((tho it seems BMW's "SMG" has gone by the wayside))

ps/edit
afaik what makes EcoBoost different/better than other DI+turbo+turbo systems is Ford's SOFTWARE!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
^ I'm fairly certain without checking
that EcoBoost predates Mr. Farley
(tho SOMEone *did* come up with it to replace 'TwinForce');
iirc his first 'shown work' was the tagline, "Drive One"
which, when combined with other verbiage, as it is/was,
is Brilliant

not a big deal - just saying

re: an EB-Hybrid
I've been wondering if Atkinson engines are worth the cost of development-&-certification
and
if a differentiator for Lincoln could be using EBs for hybrids

&
a VDub-fanboy
prolley wouldn't use "EB" as their significator of choice
(too bad FoMoCo hasn't been that successful in 'owning' DCT's with "PowerShift" ...yet)
((tho it seems BMW's "SMG" has gone by the wayside))

ps/edit
afaik what makes EcoBoost different/better than other DI+turbo+turbo systems is Ford's SOFTWARE!
Farley is the man currently in charge of Ford's marketing efforts, and that is why I suggested he be commended. Ecoboost may have better engine software controls than many but it is not utterly divergent from competitors direct injection forced induction engines for specific output, power band or fuel economy.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farley is the man currently in charge of Ford's marketing efforts, and that is why I suggested he be commended. Ecoboost may have better engine software controls than many but it is not utterly divergent from competitors direct injection forced induction engines for specific output, power band or fuel economy.
hmmm...
I don't know of another DI+turbo+turbo powered fullsize pickup
just saying

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
hmmm...
I don't know of another DI+turbo+turbo powered fullsize pickup
just saying
VW does not make a full size pickup but they far preceded Ford in the debut of turbocharged direct injection engines. My point is that Ecoboost's main claim to fame is the quite amazing way in which is was marketed despite Ford actually being relatively late to the party. This suite of technologies is not new in any way but the quite exemplary way in which Ford marketed them is the fodder that legends are created from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts