Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Hear: 2016 Cadillac CT6 Will get Aluminum Body

While an earlier report suggested that the upcoming 2016 Cadillac CT6 flagship would use a mix of high-strength steel, aluminum, and steel stampings and castings, a new report from AUTOMOBILE suggests the flagship sedan will feature an aluminum body. Despite being about eight inches longer than the current third-generation CTS sedan, the upcoming CT6 is said to be as much as 53 pounds lighter. The midsize CTS weighs between 3700-4100 pounds, depending on configuration, and AUTOMOBILE speculates that the CT6's aluminum body will keep it roughly within that same range. That could position it as a CLS or BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe competitor, despite Cadillac touting the model as its new flagship sedan. As we've pointed out before, calling this car the CT6 leaves room for a larger model, which would likely be aimed at the full-size German sedans like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7 Series, and Audi A8.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1412_we_hear_2016_cadillac_ct6_will_get_aluminum_body.html#ixzz3MvJqtfik

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
What stands out to me is the CTS without aluminum construction weights in very near the Mustang GT and Camaro.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, it's practically inevitable that all cars will use aluminum sooner or later what with CAFE regulations. Car makers will need to do whatever possible to shed a pound.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It's very unlikely Ford would dump allot of R&D into aluminum for a Lincoln so it'll be interesting to see at what point they move aluminum into their cars.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
What stands out to me is the CTS without aluminum construction weights in very near the Mustang GT and Camaro.
Did not measure camaro, but Mustang GT is same length and much wider than CTS V coupe. Weights are 3,729lbs and 4,217lbs, respectively, and both with a V8 and automatic. One costs considerably more and can justify some lightening.

I don't know, things seem fairly proportional to me. Unless of course you are weighing an I4 CTS stripped with a manual, against a loaded GT with automatic. Which is probably the case.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Did not measure camaro, but Mustang GT is same length and much wider than CTS V coupe. Weights are 3,729lbs and 4,217lbs, respectively, and both with a V8 and automatic. One costs considerably more and can justify some lightening.

I don't know, things seem fairly proportional to me. Unless of course you are weighing an I4 CTS stripped with a manual, against a loaded GT with automatic. Which is probably the case.
CTS V Coupe is an old generation model and its V8 is supercharged, it has a shortened rear overhang, but rode on the same long 113.4in wheelbase as the previous CTS sedan.

The CTS sedan with a 2.0 turbo 6-speed automatic in standard trim weighs 3620 lbs, that's 67 lbs less than the base FWD MKZ 2.0 EcoBoost.
The CTS 3.6 Luxury weights 3754 lbs (RWD) and 3887 lbs (AWD).

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
CTS V Coupe is an old generation model and its V8 is supercharged, it has a shortened rear overhang, but rode on the same long 113.4in wheelbase as the previous CTS sedan.

The CTS sedan with a 2.0 turbo 6-speed automatic in standard trim weighs 3620 lbs, that's 67 lbs less than the base FWD MKZ 2.0 EcoBoost.
The CTS 3.6 Luxury weights 3754 lbs (RWD) and 3887 lbs (AWD).
Fusion metrics? Irrelevant, and nobody mentioned that, but since you brought it up, it MSRP's for half the CTS. So hiding exotic material costs are not part of that equation.

Back to my point, the Mustang is not a small car, with far more width than CTS. And again far less cost. But an I4 stang weighs significantly less than CTS, right where it should be.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Fusion metrics? Irrelevant, and nobody mentioned that, but since you brought it up, it MSRP's for half the CTS. So hiding exotic material costs are not part of that equation.

Back to my point, the Mustang is not a small car, with far more width than CTS. And again far less cost. But an I4 stang weighs significantly less than CTS, right where it should be.
Most of Mustang's extra wiidth comes from its wide rear track. The CTS is 195.5 inches long and has a 114.6 inch wheelbase, a much larger car with mostly steel construction.

An I4 Stang weighs less because its smaller and is probably not as loaded as a CTS luxury car.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
^
Mustang is wider. Period. Weight primarily comes from girth. And a loaded CTS 'luxury car' weighs significantly more than an I4 base.
So if Cadillac decided to widen the tracks of the CTS and flare our the fenders, that would add 100-200 lbs?

Most of the 2015 Mustangs extra width over the narrower 2014 Mustang (closer to the CTS) was mostly due to the hips to hide the wide track IRS.
I believe the CTS and 2015 Mustang have similar front shoulder rooms.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
^
Believe what you want, but Mustang is a wider car, from front to back, not because of some rear end that flares out 6 ".

And if Mustang had as much room to justify costs as a CTS or CTS-V did, then things should get lighter, and they do. Case in point, the GT350 should weigh about 100lbs less than a base Mustang GT at 3,517. So slightly more than 3400lbs is impressive for a 520hp coupe, regardless.

Cue the vette argument next........

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
^
Believe what you want, but Mustang is a wider car, from front to back, not because of some rear end that flares out 6 ".

And if Mustang had as much room to justify costs as a CTS or CTS-V did, then things should get lighter, and they do. Case in point, the GT350 should weigh about 100lbs less than a base Mustang GT at 3,517. So slightly more than 3400lbs is impressive for a 520hp coupe, regardless.

Cue the vette argument next........

GT350 will weigh est3517 lbs and have 520hp? Cool. Thanks for the numbers. :D
I guess the extra hp comes with the R version?

If Ford only treated Lincoln as important as Mustang which gets so many unique items from platforms to engines.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Base GT is at 3517. The rumors I heard is that GT350 will shed 100lbs, based on the lightening efforts afforded in a price that can justify it, not unlike a freaking $80K CTS-V. Funny how that works, huh.

And Lincoln is treating customers today, and certainly in the future, to what luxury customers want....luxury. Not lap times.
Keep up please.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
And Lincoln is treating customers today, and certainly in the future, to what luxury customers want....luxury. Not lap times.
Keep up please.
Luxury like how much longer its list of features are over the Ford its based on?
Isn't that what Mercury used to be?

Back in the day Mercury would make a more premium/stylish version of a Ford, but Lincoln had its own model like the 60's Continental which was like no Ford or Mercury sedan in the lineup.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
ummm....
Elwood Engel's Tbird>>Continental

the stories I've heard beg to differ
I knew someone would point that out, but that was just a concept.

At the end these were the production models.

Lincoln got this low sleek 4-door...

...and Ford had this shorter personal coupe, the closest relative of the Continantal.

Ford's sedan looked like this.

That's what made Lincoln unique.

This is sort of like Lincoln having a Mustang derived sedan instead of one based on something like a Fusion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts