Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Hear Ford's Detroit Show GT Will Be a Limited Production Model With EcoBoost V6

So…we finally managed to pick up a few things about Ford's pending GT sports/super car that will purportedly be revealed at the 2015 Detroit motor show.

What we hear is that (do take it with a pinch of salt - at least for the time being), it won't be a concept but a limited series model with around 1,200 units to be built and that it will get a turbocharged V6 EcoBoost engine.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/we-hear-fords-detroit-show-gt-will-be.html

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*Update: Something new that we learned is that the new GT's EcoBoost V6 will have more than 600hp

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The New GT needs to be lean and fast like the Porsche 918. Especially with a ultra-light weight body and technologically advanced 600+ hp V6 EcoBoost engine.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
600hp ÷ 3.5 = over 170 hp-per-liter
In this day and age, anything is possible specially with a modern turbocharged engines.
Mitsubishi's Evo X FQ400 makes 400hp with a 2.0 liter engine, that's 200hp-per-liter and Mercedes' CLA45 AMG makes 355hp from a 2.0 liter engine, that's 177.5hp-per-liter.

So will the GT350's flat-plane crankshaft 5.2 liter V8 be used anywhere else?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ Agree :thumb:

1st part - I just didn't expect FORD to go that high with a production engine, even über-limited - we've heard a 1.0EB has been tested at 180per & more
(tho if this is partly for LeMans... isn't there a considerable push with electrified drivetrains?)

2nd part - just guessing - it won't be used at all widely - maybe an insane Raptor?
(I don't follow racing - is there another kind besides LeMans that a flat-plane v8 would be good for?)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
if it is JUST the 3.5 EcoBoost I feel like that will be a terrible waste of the flat-plane crankshaft 5.2 IMO

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
just guessing - it won't be used at all widely - maybe an insane Raptor?
With the higher revving flat-plane crankshaft V8, you sacrifice some low-end torque. Not exactly the type of engine you'd see on larger heavier vehicles.
A 3.5 liter EcoBoost V6 tuned to produce 400hp or more with a ton of torque at low rpm would probably be more suited for something like an SVT Raptor.

(I don't follow racing - is there another kind besides LeMans that a flat-plane v8 would be good for?)
None that I can think off, Ford will pull out of the V8 Supercar series and Le Mans seems perfect for the flat-plane crankshaft 5.2 liter V8 engine which is within the current 5.5 liter LM GTE displacement limit for naturally aspirated engines.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I want to see the guys complaining here about this suposed V6 ecoboost in the suposed new GT, complaining about the 6 cyl engines in the Porsche 911... Since when is more important the number of cylinders than the power of the engine? Give me a 250 HP 3 cyl engine in a Focus ST , and i will be happy... Give me 350 HP 4 cyl engine in a Fusion ST and i will be happy. A new Ford GT supercar with 600 HP V6 engine? Welcome!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I want to see the guys complaining here about this suposed V6 ecoboost in the suposed new GT, complaining about the 6 cyl engines in the Porsche 911... Since when is more important the number of cylinders than the power of the engine? Give me a 250 HP 3 cyl engine in a Focus ST , and i will be happy... Give me 350 HP 4 cyl engine in a Fusion ST and i will be happy. A new Ford GT supercar with 600 HP V6 engine? Welcome!
I'm more interested in which engine has a weight advantage and how the weight is distributed.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
That's fine it can have the EcoBoost but I think it should have the 5.2 ALSO. Keep the cost down on Ford's end of the V8 in the Stang. The more they produce the better.

The Audi R8 offers 2 engines for example a V8 and a V10

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is kind of disappointing. I rarely say anything negative on this forum, but this isn't what I want out of the next top-tier Ford vehicle, let alone a GT successor.

I want a V8 to the rear wheels, N/A (UHM HELLO, FPC 5.2!) or FI (ehh) I don't care, with electric drive on the front wheels. At highway cruising speeds I want only the front electric stuff to drive for efficiency. I want car that they build for real, not some limited production piece. I'm thrilled to have something, that's for sure. It's just not my first choice. But it's also definitely not up to me! Haha.

A sports car showcasing an EcoBoost 6 cylinder (and electric) should be a Lincoln sometime near 2020MY. I don't want either of these two cars to have an MSRP of over 100K except MAYBE the Lincoln, but they have some proving to do before this car makes any sense whatsoever.

Overall, I'm happy to hear that something is coming along, and I'm happy to see the design it takes (this will no doubt have some styling cues giving hints at future Ford design language), and I'm sure its performance will be fantastic. But I want a Vette 911 Viper GTR 458 fighter. Not some aloof showpiece.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
More important than this limited production car is a high performance Fusion. A 4 cyl powerful engine (with more than 300 hp) or a new nano V6 with nearly 400 HP and 4WD in a redisegned body. This could be an interesting option to revitalize the Fusion sales..

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Give it the V8....why does Ford hate the V8 now?
Kind of interesting. Ford brought the V8 to the masses and now taking it away if you think about it the only 2 affordable V8s Ford has are the 5.0 Mustang and 5.0 in the F-150. Probably mostly because of CAFE and new emission standards, but also it probably has a lot to do with platform limitations, I mean I don't think anyone really wants a FWD V8 anymore that packaging was never really good IMO.

Last time Ford had a FWD V8 was in the late 90s with the 3rd generation Taurus SHO and the 9th generation Lincoln Continental (not sure if I am missing anything else). GM also pushed FWD V8 models as well with a good amount of Cadillacs, the last Bonneville, and the Impala SS. Thankfully there aren't anymore FWD V8s really around anymore except the Volvo S80 which should be on its way out soon.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Thankfully there aren't anymore FWD V8s really around anymore except the Volvo S80 which should be on its way out soon.
Volvo's V8 was actually dropped from the S80 lineup in 2010. (S80 V8 is AWD by the way)
The current top S80 has a 300hp T6 (3.0 liter turbocharged inline 6).

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Volvo's V8 was actually dropped from the S80 lineup in 2010. (S80 V8 is AWD by the way)
The current top S80 has a 300hp T6 (3.0 liter turbocharged inline 6).
Thanks for the clarification I had no idea they dropped it, show's how little I follow Volvo.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts