Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ford you have a super RWD platform over at Mazda has the MX-5 uses, why no use it for Lincoln as well? Take the platform and built us a roadster to compete against the upcoming MD SLA, BMW Z2, and unnamed Infiniti. Have the 2.7 V6 as its base and 2.7 V6 EB as its upper level engine. Also give us a 1-series competitor as well. A 4 seat coupe and convertible would be nice along with a 5 seat sedan. No hatches, keep that for the C concept (we know you already got that in your plans).

Now to make the Mustang platform along with Flatrock more profitable, build us a Cougar no matter what happens to MkR development. Its style should mimic the 1968 and should have every trim up to the top of the line Eliminator, which would have the same engine as the GT500, though rated say 10 more hp. Body styles should include a hard top and convertible (No fastback). Even have the headlights that come flip out from the grill.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Now to make the Mustang platform along with Flatrock more profitable, build us a Cougar no matter what happens to MKR development. Its style should mimic the 1968 and should have every trim up to the top of the line Eliminator, which would have the same engine as the GT500, though rated say 10 more hp. Body styles should include a hard top and convertible (No fastback). Even have the headlights that come flip out from the grill.
Great idea, I would absolutely love to see that.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Mission: RWD! ;)

This is mostly what I meant when I said you gave me an idea, Ausrutherford (TY)

and it has to do with the main problem I always thought with one Global-Rwd Platform was fitting sizes from a bit smaller than the current Mustang upto the TownCar

BUT(even tho)
there's no reason for the next Lincoln-Largest to be anywhere near the 215.4" regular model or 221.4" "L" model... ...esp when soooo much is overhang!

yet
there'll still be a "big-shrink" down to an under 190" Mustang - which could use better space-utilization within a somewhat smaller pkg anyway!
+
I saw some time ago that the AU Falcon might downsize a bit
& since they're used to having 2 models anyway,
maybe they could bracket the current size: an inch or 2 bigger for a new Fairlane and 3-or-more inches more 'economical' for the next Falcon?

I kinda think the Miata/MX5 can actually be left out of the planning - Mazda seems happy keeping it 'special' while perhaps they could still share a few more parts and design with:

- a new Reflex**/RX-7,8 thru Mustang/Cougar sport Rwd platform
106.5 - 174.3 - RX-8
107.1 - 187.6 - 2005-9 Mustang​
...& same architecture just plus-sized
- a MKR - Tbird/AuFairlane/Continental - TouringCar
with the emphasis on the middle models, a shrink & stretch does for the other 2 Lincolns​
the tricky part could come with the engine compartments
but
imho they could design 3 subframe-module sizes for those:
- Rotary - 4cyl - 4cyl-EB's - 3.0/2.7v6
- ANYv6 - 5.0v8 - and EB's
- 3.5v6 - 4.0inline6 - 5.0v8 (- 5.4v12?)

sorry if that sounds scattered,
still a thought-in-process
&
wonder about my "HRL" (HotRodLincoln) if it should be 2-seats and let the MKR be THE 4-5 seater -- that's how I'm leaning just now
then
the last question is how the Falcon (& maybe Fairlane) would work -
- since the Falcon sounds like it'd fall on my dividing line :confused:

** Reflex is about the same ovl as the Miata BUT has an 8½" longer wheelbase

edit/maybe
Australia could expand! to 3 models -all on the same assemblyline- Falcon-Lite, Falcon & Fairlane?
until recently they did ok with 2 models NOT shared with the ROTW, so maybe 3-&-share-them would be better?
(the 'three' referring mainly to engine compartments)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The Mustang must be the basics for a new family of RWD cars in America and Australia. Since 3 years ago i think that a new, medium size 4 door sedan Mustang based (Falcon) could be cool and a big hit of sales here in America..... and a larger version could be good for Lincoln and Australia. Now , i think is too late...the money gone, and the priorities are others.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Farley: Ford needs new copcar

related imho...

Farley: Ford needs new police car - Automotive News

Rick Kranz
January 19, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. wants to save its police-car business, which in strong economic times accounts for annual sales of about 65,000 Ford Crown Victorias.

The likely solution is a front-drive, unibody vehicle platform with all-wheel-drive adaptability, said Jim Farley, group vice president of marketing and communications. Several vehicles are under review, but he would not say whether the re-engineered, re-styled Taurus is one of them.

"The next five years will be a very important transition technically for the [police] pursuit business and limo livery," Farley said last week at a private Ford dinner.

The Crown Victoria will be dropped in 2011, as will two sibling rear-drive, body-on-frame models, the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car. The Crown Victoria is the most popular police car.

Regarding police vehicles used for high-speed pursuit, Farley said he sees a transition from "the legacy products" to awd or fwd unibody vehicles in the long term, and possibly unibody rwd crossovers as an interim solution.

Farley said Ford must maintain its presence in the ambulance, fire truck and police car business: "These days you really can't afford to walk away from a loyal customer base who loves your product."

--------------------
so
...& same architecture just plus-sized[/i]
- a MKR - Tbird/AuFairlane/Continental - TouringCar
with the emphasis on the middle models, a shrink & stretch does for the other 2 Lincolns​

could they successfully plop the old copcar body (with a few 'alterations') over a (mostly-)new RWD platform (minus any deluxe bits)??

edit:
and make a fleet/livery Only limo-base - just a copcar with a big UN-split-wing grille and a high trunklid (vintage-RR) that goes up to a tiny slit rearwindow :D ...custom interior of course
(if it's a plug-in/ICE-range-extender hybrid, NOTHING ELSE would be used for the Oscars ;))​

1 - 5 of 5 Posts