Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having seen the Conti and ChinaTaurus, BUT getting near-NO DETAILS...
what I want to KNOW is

• PLATFORMS (are they or aren't they?...the same?)

• where (Assemblyplant(s))

• PLATFORMS (LincStang)

• WHEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• PLATFORMS (the Explorer/Aviator)

• When?

• PLATFORMS (Focus/A.M.P.)

• electrified Lincolns!!1!!!!¡!!11!!!¡!!!!

• oh...TaurU.S. or not? or___?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
i suspect the answers:

Platform for Continental and Taurus: the same... a modified Fusion platform

Assembly plants for Continental: USA. For Taurus: China and, maybe, USA

LincStang: This car will not exist. No way. Absolutly not. Forget it rigth now. No Mustang platform for Lincoln. No coupes for Lincoln in the next 5 years or so. Why to talk about this car without a single sign that this could happen?. NO LincStang

Explorer-Aviator: The new rumored RWD platform for these crossovers abund. I doubt it. A completly new RWD platform for a Lincoln and Ford SUV??? is a crazy idea. Against One Ford plan. I suspect that the new Explorer-Aviator ( this will return?) will be build on the Fusion modified platform from the new Continental-Taurus

Electrified Lincolns: is a good proposal. The MK Z need an electric or hybrid version.

Taurus in USA: definitly yes. Is a bad idea not to exploit the vol USA could add to the Chinese Taurus production

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'll take a crack

• PLATFORMS (are they or aren't they?...the same?) Yes, larger version of the CD4

• where (Assemblyplant(s)) Taurus I'm thinking Chicago plant and in China, Conti maybe Flat Rock

• PLATFORMS (LincStang) While possible, I don;t see it anytime soon unfortunately

• WHEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Taurus Q4 2015 Conti Q1 or Q2 2016

• PLATFORMS (the Explorer/Aviator) D6

• When? likely 2018

• PLATFORMS (Focus/A.M.P.) no clue

• electrified Lincolns!!1!!!!¡!!11!!!¡!!!! not anytime soon, but could be a great idea

• oh...TaurU.S. or not? or___? Id just about bet a years pay we get it

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ & ^^ :thumb: & :thumb:

another question is
WHEN the 9-10speed transmissions will come out
&
IF they're still going to use the 7speed DCT we heard about a long time ago

edit
was scanning some Forum-Sections at puterLab (usually just use NewPosts @ home) and came across the Design ShakeUp @ Lincoln thread &
WANT to know if/how the Team has changed/is changing
not just MAX (miss!! Max!!:()
but the main players/WORKers vs the APPROVERS
THO
doN'T really want more (rather Lame) videos - no offense
I MUCH prefer designers/artists who are Genius at what they DO rather be "nice TalkingHeads" on camera :tongue::facepalm::-( .....or boring:sleeping:to listen to

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just don't see Ford green-lighting a LincStang, despite the S550 existing for only one model (sorta ignores the One Ford/economy-of-scale/platform-sharing ethos).

I don't see why a RWD platform for a Lincoln/Ford SUV is such a crazy idea. Of course, if you accept that Ford is not in the habit of developing platforms in general (see Jaguar, Mazda & Volvo & Ford of Europe), perhaps it is crazy. Doesn't the current Explorer/Navigator sit on a RWD truck chassis? Newer SUVs are designed more like unibody crossovers than body-on-frame vehicles so I think it can be done. If that platform is scalable, it can also be the base for large RWD sedans.

This makes me wonder what the D6 is really going to be. Ford hasn't shown much ground-breaking creativity in platform development in the past. If the D6 is strictly another FWD-based platform only, I would be very disappointed. The D6 is probably the last (first?) chance to show the world that it has first-class engineering chops (I'm not doubting the engineers here; I'm doubting management).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not trying to be rude or anything but it's the Expedition that's on the RWD truck chassis not the Explorer.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I just don't see Ford green-lighting a LincStang, despite the S550 existing for only one model (sorta ignores the One Ford/economy-of-scale/platform-sharing ethos).

I don't see why a RWD platform for a Lincoln/Ford SUV is such a crazy idea. Of course, if you accept that Ford is not in the habit of developing platforms in general (see Jaguar, Mazda & Volvo & Ford of Europe), perhaps it is crazy. Doesn't the current Explorer/Navigator sit on a RWD truck chassis? Newer SUVs are designed more like unibody crossovers than body-on-frame vehicles so I think it can be done. If that platform is scalable, it can also be the base for large RWD sedans.

This makes me wonder what the D6 is really going to be. Ford hasn't shown much ground-breaking creativity in platform development in the past. If the D6 is strictly another FWD-based platform only, I would be very disappointed. The D6 is probably the last (first?) chance to show the world that it has first-class engineering chops (I'm not doubting the engineers here; I'm doubting management).

I have an idea: maybe that rumors about a RWD platform (D6) for a Lincoln big SUV and Ford SUV is about the new Navigator and Expedition! Is logical . This SUVs share the same platform now, and will share the new aluminum body in the future. This make more sense that a new RWD platform only for the next Explorer and Lincoln crossover...

The time will tell us the truth

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have an idea: maybe that rumors about a RWD platform (D6) for a Lincoln big SUV and Ford SUV is about the new Navigator and Expedition! Is logical . This SUVs share the same platform now, and will share the new aluminum body in the future. This make more sense that a new RWD platform only for the next Explorer and Lincoln crossover...

The time will tell us the truth
What I had heard about the D6 was it was module and that it could support FWD,AWD, RWD kind of like Audi platforms, although Audi doesnt do RWD

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rummaging thru old posts & stuff...

New 3-row, 7-Seat Ford Edge makes global debut in Guangzhou - Media.Ford.com
2014-11-18

... . . . ... Further details of the new Ford Edge for China will be shared closer to the launch in 2015.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd like to know
what the blanky-blank WHEELBASE is**
( google didn't show it, HAS it been released? )
a date

** Edge 3row CHINA
192.05 -- 112.20 -- 75.79 -- 68.27
4878mm 2850mm 1925mm 1734mm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

not sure if it's worth a bump
11-speed as well as
10/9-speed and
7-speed DCT (link when I can)(edit: well THAT took a while...)
...Getrag also is releasing a new wet clutch 7 speed Powershift called the 7DCT300, but did not mention for which vehicles or markets planned for this new transmission.
http://drivelinenews.com/news/ford-fiesta-to-use-dry-dct-while-focus-will-have-planetary-auto/

7DCT300 – Overview
Key Features
 Next generation of 6DCT250 with global footprint (B to D-segment) so from Fiesta to Taurus size vehicles
 Input torque 300 Nm...
 7-speed + R with a possible gear ratio span of ~ 8.5...
 Start/Stop functionality (no hardware modification)
Optional Features
 HEV (Mild- to Plug-In)
 AWD
 Integrated Park-by-Wire...
DrivelineNews.com | January 9, 2013
...(Ernie) DeVincent (, vice president of product development at Getrag), who was an engineer at Ford until he joined Getrag in 2006, did not give a launch date for the new engine/automatic pairings, nor state which transmissions would be used on other larger European Ford models. However, he did reveal that the Asian market would be the main target for Getrag’s new wet clutch 6DCT150, the six-speed, lower-torque derivative of the new-generation 7DCT300 seven-speed core model.​

·
Registered
761 Posts
Explorer-Aviator: The new rumored RWD platform for these crossovers abund. I doubt it. A completly new RWD platform for a Lincoln and Ford SUV??? is a crazy idea. Against One Ford plan. I suspect that the new Explorer-Aviator ( this will return?) will be build on the Fusion modified platform from the new Continental-Taurus
What if this new RWD platform was scalable? Then you could have the Explorer/Aviator and possibly the new Expedition/Navigator on the new platform. Perhaps even a niche CUV Coupe model for Lincoln too. If the platform is car based, which seems to be the trend, then a RWD Lincoln Continental (when the time comes) and even more exciting a RWD Lincoln Mark V. All of these combined would be good for the U.S. and Chinese markets. (IMHO)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunday Stalking
(who needs brunch...)

Max Wolff @ LinkedIn
"...I've fulfilled a variety of roles with advanced and production, interior and exterior experience although my passion and strength is product strategy and exterior design..."
&
Design Director, Global Small Car
General Motors
October 2006 – September 2007 | Seoul, Korea"

&
via a design blog

what I want to know is
if Max is working exclusively/primarily on "advanced design" now
ie D6/CD6 & A.M.P

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What if this new RWD platform was scalable? Then you could have the Explorer/Aviator and possibly the new Expedition/Navigator on the new platform. Perhaps even a niche CUV Coupe model for Lincoln too. If the platform is car based, which seems to be the trend, then a RWD Lincoln Continental (when the time comes) and even more exciting a RWD Lincoln Mark V. All of these combined would be good for the U.S. and Chinese markets. (IMHO)
Scford,
agree scalable but
I'm (very recently) looking at D6/CD6 being a bit more downward in size,
topping out with the Aviator and:
crosspollinating the RUMOR/'musical factories' thread
and from reading else-elsewhere
...the D6/CD6 will bottom-out with at least an MKZ-replacement if not all the way down (in size) to the S550 ...
thus
possibly ending the Mustang being on a stand-alone platform

- - - - - -

...was scanning some Forum-Sections at puterLab (usually just use NewPosts @ home) and came across the Design ShakeUp @ Lincoln thread &
WANT to know if/how the Team has changed/is changing
not just MAX (miss!! Max!!:()
but the main players/WORKers vs the APPROVERS
THO
doN'T really want more (rather Lame) videos...
:angel

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...not sure if it's worth a bump
11-speed as well as
10/9-speed and
7-speed DCT (link when I can)(edit: well THAT took a while...)
DrivelineNews.com | January 9, 2013
...(Ernie) DeVincent (, vice president of product development at Getrag), who was an engineer at Ford until he joined Getrag in 2006, did not give a launch date for the new engine/automatic pairings, nor state which transmissions would be used on other larger European Ford models. However, he did reveal that the Asian market would be the main target for Getrag’s new wet clutch 6DCT150, the six-speed, lower-torque derivative of the new-generation 7DCT300 seven-speed core model.​
+
ancient thread (one of my earliest)
cuz
saw stuff about the 7DCT300 again = online .Pdf :toetap:

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
^Is that the new Town & Country?

I wish Ford came out with a stylish, highly functional minivan to replace the Flex. Their past attempts at the minivan have been very unfortunate.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Attachments

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
^ that's what most posters are saying
( I wonder how a minivan would look with added wheel-flares and raised ride-height? )
It looks a bit lower than the current model.

The Odyssey is the minivan to beat at the moment, so it will be interesting to see what they do with this new model.

I remember the Airstream Concept was some sort of design study for a future Ford minivan. It looked pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts