Ford Inside News banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
My initial reaction to reading that Lincoln will be focusing on entry level luxury ($35k-$55k) was one of disappointment. But, after mulling it over, I see that that may be the smartest way to start its rebirth. Start with solid products that will sell in high numbers (compact & midsize sedans and crossovers) and then work on the larger, more expensive vehicles and finally add a halo car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here's a great editorial piece I came across this week which I'd share...
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2011/8/22/the-autoextremist.html

It compares Cadillac and Lincoln's recoveries and adds some tibets on the new MKZ:
"media-types have been given more than a glimpse of the first shot in Lincoln’s product transformation, the all-new MKZ, which is a sensational-looking car that very much establishes the new look of Lincoln."

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Start with solid products that will sell in high numbers (compact & midsize sedans and crossovers).
Lincoln dealers had that till just a year ago..it was called Mercury.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So, if they are not sold here in the U.S. to compete with their facing product, how is your comment relevant? You aren't sitting on the Finance Board are you?
And to the guy that compared Toyota to Lexus, uh, wrong. The only model that you can look at and find ONE curve that resembles a Toyota is on the ES. That's it.
What is your argument for me buying an MKX over an Edge??

This is a global market, No car company can survive just in the U.S. market. just because there not sold here does not mean it does not effect the world market and sales

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would love to see a halo car in Lincoln's lineup someday, but I don't think this is a top priority for the brand right now. Lincoln needs a collection of drop-dead gorgeous, competitively luxurious, technologically advanced sedans and crossovers in the compact, midsize, and full-size size classes. A halo car can come later, once Lincoln's status has been restored. A halo car can create interest and excitement in a brand, but it will be a farce if the brand's "bread & butter" products can't support the promise of the halo car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If Lincoln wants a halo car, they should build a full size executive sedan that does not look anything like the MKS. It doesn't even have to be a rear wheel drive car. A front biased AWD with ecoboost V-6 pushing 400hp would provide the power that would make people consider the car. Give it the rear legroom that matches the Avalon and depending on Lincoln's future design language, you can have a car that could become Lincoln's stepping stone to luxury car respectability.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
If Lincoln wants a halo car, they should build a full size executive sedan that does not look anything like the MKS. It doesn't even have to be a rear wheel drive car. A front biased AWD with ecoboost V-6 pushing 400hp would provide the power that would make people consider the car. Give it the rear legroom that matches the Avalon and depending on Lincoln's future design language, you can have a car that could become Lincoln's stepping stone to luxury car respectability.
agree completely, EBfan
&
Welcome to the forum!

think you might enjoy following the chop link
if you haven't already found that thread

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lincoln dealers had that till just a year ago..it was called Mercury.
Having owned a few Mercury vehicles, it pains me to write this but they aren't luxury vehicles or even near-lux ones. They have been better looking Fords with different grilles, tail ights, and other small trim in and out. Lincoln has been much more and it should always be. Toyota has it right with its Lexus line. Many are based on Toyota models, the Camry/ES350 for example, share a lot under the skin but nothing you touch or see. Ford can do this for Lincoln now that its mainstream models are fully competitive.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The halo vehicle(s) from Lincoln should be something more long term than short. You need to have a vehicle for the younger group (as well as any other age group for that matter) to aspire to. Have some of the magic rub off to the regular models being sold to stir the excitement. The Cadillac XLR and Chrysler Crossfire for example didn't have the long term both were hoping for. The XLR didn't have the style and substance that the Allante had and the Crossfire was seen as a cheap version of the Mercedes roadster which it was based on.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The halo vehicle(s) from Lincoln should be something more long term than short. You need to have a vehicle for the younger group (as well as any other age group for that matter) to aspire to. Have some of the magic rub off to the regular models being sold to stir the excitement. The Cadillac XLR and Chrysler Crossfire for example didn't have the long term both were hoping for. The XLR didn't have the style and substance that the Allante had and the Crossfire was seen as a cheap version of the Mercedes roadster which it was based on.
I have many thoughts about Lincoln's lineup needs, and what halo car(s) they should have.
Right now, so much hinges on the new design language they introduce at Detroit, that I hate to post anything more about their future until then.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I have many thoughts about Lincoln's lineup needs, and what halo car(s) they should have.
Right now, so much hinges on the new design language they introduce at Detroit, that I hate to post anything more about their future until then.
hey, 2nd major agreement this 'morning', LR

I am so jonesing to SEE THE Z :toetap: ...and chop the heck outa it!!!

meanwhile:
Mission:LINCOLN!

testing Edit: was just able to do it for the first time at GMI since the new software, so trying here

21 - 36 of 36 Posts