Ford Inside News banner

What price should the Continental $TART at?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I was in Flat Rock area on business this week, and detoured and scouted around the Flat Rock Assembly Plant. Saw lots of 2016 Fusions ready to ship out in the yard. Have they started the Lincoln Continental build yet? I didn't see any outside and even then, I'm sure if any are built they probably are hiding them inside :). Any of you Lincoln insiders have any intell on this - the real build date? Also, assume they will definitely have the Conti production model rolled out at Detroit NAIAS?? I might make a trip from Atlanta just to see it. When do you think they would be officially selling next year (month)?? Thanks...
:thumb: for stalking FlatRock, Steve :clap:
...pure-guessing: April Job1 for the Z
and late-May for the Conti THO could even see them waiting until after the June vacation/plant shutdown
saw some posters recounting Z articles saying the 3.0T is late availability (unverified)...
iirc
Mr. Galhotra has said "summer" On-Sale for both the Z & Conti
but the Z definitely first (& imho "summer" can be/is! vague)
&
I've read over the years that prototypes/pre-Job1 vehicles can be built at a separate Michigan facility whose name I don't remember.
iirc, the Mustang was only seen at FlatRock a couple months before its Job1

While I like the direction you're headed, I don't think people are ready for a •80K-100K+ Lincoln. In fact, I don't think they're ready for a Cadillac sedan over 100K.

Lincoln would be wise to have this thing TOP OUT at •75K. More features and luxury than anyone for the price. Builds image and opens the door for a true RWD big-ass flagship down the road. I think Lincoln has more work •downmarket before they reach too much.
• the only $80-100k Lincoln I can see THIS Decade is a tippy-top AlumiNator
tho
• imho it'd be easy for the Conti to offer silly stuff like the germans - - a $5k pkg including perfume spritzer with every sq. inch of the interior quilted-&-tufted
:nerd: ...or a custom(ish) paintjob for half the cost of Audi 'exclusive'?
• downmarket? don't believe I agree...
... nope, don't
REALLY want the cheapest Lincoln (near-term) to start at $39,990 AND be well-worth it!
+ I strongly believe in (some) Brands having 'strange-attractor'/icon-segments
and Lincoln's aren't compact (even tho I keep ranting for the LincStangs )

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I was in Flat Rock area on business this week, and detoured and scouted around the Flat Rock Assembly Plant. Saw lots of 2016 Fusions ready to ship out in the yard. Have they started the Lincoln Continental build yet? I didn't see any outside and even then, I'm sure if any are built they probably are hiding them inside :). Any of you Lincoln insiders have any intell on this - the real build date?...
...When do you think they would be officially selling next year (month)?? Thanks...
@stevejohnsonjs, just got info that the(a) 2017 Fusion's Job1 is April 4
OrderGuide thread
also a Not New article states the FusionST is definite
Autoshow Index

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the answers and the intell support b2b :)! So Conti Job 1 is May, 2016 at possibly another plant. Will the real production Conti be shown at the Detroit NAIAS 2016 for sure? If so, will we be able to touch, feel, get in the car, etc.? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the answers and the intell support b2b :)! So Conti Job 1 is May, 2016 at possibly another plant. Will the real production Conti be shown at the Detroit NAIAS 2016 for sure? If so, will we be able to touch, feel, get in the car, etc.? Thanks!
Conti Job1 is uncertain as yet - just after the Z. If they only go on sale in Sept 2016 (still technically 'summer' until the 21st) Job1 could be as late as 2nd half of July. (OrderGuides usually come out about 8 weeks earlier)
Production Conti is 'expected' at NAIAS, not 'officially' confirmed afaik
I expect it will just be on a turntable, so only Look, no touch

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
^ YW, Steve
good luck with arranging to see the production Conti
I wish FoMoCo could come up with a way to let those intensely interested to know far enough in advance to make travel plans!

&
it's come to my attention that the CTsix doesN'T offer both Rwd & Awd on the same engine

+ thinking the only pricepoint I WAS convinced about is the Matching of the Awd 3.0T Conti to the base Rwd 2.0t CTsix
= $53,495
BUT
now I'm thinking that's too much mechanical difference (in the Conti's favor) ie "full-Conti" shouldN'T match that baseCTsix price
also would really like to know ALL Conti drivetrains!
just:
350hp 3.0T Fwd
&
400+hp 3.0T Awd
or
WHAT ELSE??
&
thinking pricing will have-to/almost be based off what the Z 3.0T +DriversPkg 'begins' at
= MKZ: around $50k for lowest-trim-offered with Drivers' Pkg?
so . . .

edit: Would...
Fwd Conti = $45 (ie $44,990)
Drivers Z = $50 (ie $49,990)
Awd Conti = $55 (ie $54,990) ...work??... all @ Lowest Trim
2b2 said:
...UNLESS (the Zsport)'s [BL]-only then
- at least $55k for [BL]+D.Pkg
- near $65 for fully loaded, top [BlackLabel], including D.Pkg...
& min. $60k for Awd Conti...
edit###
which is why I'd like a 2.7 Conti Fwd >> to allow for that $15k spread

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
that post^s already too long imho
so here's a CTsix comparo culled from its website (edit/&/FYI a post @ GMI says V-Sport (not V-series) adds about $7k)

can't say for Lincoln (yet)
but imho
Cadillac is missing (deliberately?) some of its 'old' customers by not offering a 3.6v6 Rwd
maybe with a diff tune

edit :angel
thinking maybe that $58,395 might be a very good TARGET

edit :banghead:
ref: X & Z pricing in TrimLevelPOLL
Conti pricing
$7#,### [BL] — with every option/pkg including Rhapsody paint & interior
$62,990 [BL] — 3.0EB Awd-only including(/std?) DrvPkg
$58,395 Reserve – 3.0EB Awd-only including(/std?) DrvPkg
$53,490 Select — 3.0EB Awd-only with DrvPkg (="LSL")
$49,990 Select — 3.0EB Awd-only without DrvPkg
$47,490 Premiere - 3.0EB Awd-Opt no DrvPkg avail
$44,990 Premiere - 3.0EB Fwd** no DrvPkg avail

** dunno about other trims offering Fwd

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
talking about Cadillac's ATPs, figured I'd try ballparking the Continental's
based on my last chart

% __ unit $
20 * 44990 = 0899800 ____ 10 * 44990 = 449900
50 * 53495 = 2674750 ____ 50 * 53495 = 2674750
25 * 62000 = 1550000 -OR- 35 * 62000 = 2170000
05 * 80000 = 0400000 ____ 05 * 80000 = 0400000
-average- = $55,245 ______ -average- = $56,946

ref: Cadillac's
CTS's = $52,075

edit
fudging by adding 20% high-Reserves @ $71k & double [BL]s:
10 * 44990
20 * 53495
40 * 62000
20 * 71000
10 * 80000
(absolutely highest possible EvERY box checked)
average = $62,198
...that's better :joyous:

@DetroitBORG @Ed753

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It will priced at two distinct segments:

1. Aspiring model ($45K-$60K).

2. Premium luxury model($65k-$80K).

There really shouldn't be a bare-bones model, and starting at 45K is very reasonable. I would like the next MKZ to have room to move it's starting price higher with more standard features.
I do not think price is keeping people from buying Lincolns. The brand is building, and people who like it will pay a premium.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
really shoulda had the prices the other way around in the Poll question...
...with highest on top

&
NEW CHART! ___a blank in .gif format also attached

The $45,000 version would be a FWD with the base engine (either 3.7L V6, 2.0L turbo, 2.3L turbo). The AWB 3.0EB would be $55,000 to $60,000.
I'm thinking since 3.0t is a special engine for the MKZ it might not be available on the Premier
so its apparent price might look high(er)
while
imho it could well be the Only engine for the Conti**
so the special parts would just be Awd and the DriversPkg
and
plain-Awd could be available on the Premier trim = $50k

also for U.S,
still thinking of a special edition "LSL1" = $53,490-59,980: 5,500pkg + 990 for top special-paint

** if they target the CTsix, then the U.S base engine could be the 3.7
(tho China & its taxes will prolley require a much smaller displacement?)

No way should Black Label be almost twice the price of the base model. Black Label starts at 46K for MKC, which starts at 33K in base model trim. Continental Black Label should top out at around 5K over a fully loaded MKX Black Label (high 60's) with a base model price at ~45K probably. Black Label should start around 57K for Continental. Top out around 70K. /speculation
not a huge difference but
MKX adds 3,290 to its base price for Select
...adds 7,055 to its base price for Reserve (3,765 over Select)
...adds 15,215 to its base price for [BL] (8,160 over Reserve)
so *IF* we start the Conti at $45k, [BL] 'should' begin at $60k
but I'm leaning towards a bit more so used $5k/$5k/$10k steps = +5/+10/+20k over the base
note:
CT6's $20k jump from 'Premium Luxury' trim to 'Platinum'

btw, configured a Premier X to learn its 'range' = $7k of opts/pkgs
so my Conti-Premier's $9k is ok imho
may eventually check the other trims

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry, late to the discussion. I've been looking long and hard at pricing of Lincolns and Cadillacs versus
achieved sales. Lincoln has to be mindful here that the majority of Continental sales will or at least should
be on leases, so I would plum for a lease payment similar to CTS - give lease holders a real sense of value
with added size of a genuine large luxury car, don't compete on price alone, give them more..

So yeah, start Continental at $45K, a nice jump over MKS but not too much and that also gives
the MKZ more room to come up a bit after the re-style / new nose...

And to add a bit of spice i would add a Continental EL with 125" WB to the mix at around $50K
We can't have the Town Car name back just yet but this gives Lincoln another large sedan that
gets the message to buyers and Cadillac that Lincoln is back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I been pricing several X5, Cayenne and after showing it to the sales associate and talk into several more options; both came close to 20% of the base price. For example, X5 i35 xDrive based MSRP is $57K + $12K options or $69K.

So if the AWD Continental based MSRP is $47K + $9.7K or $56.7. The is based model, no upscaling for interior or better wheels or colors. That would be a package plus of additional $6K.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
...so *IF* we start the Conti at $45k...
...configured a Premier X to learn its 'range' = $7k of opts/pkgs
so my Conti-Premier's $9k is ok imho

may eventually check the other trims
...both came close to 20% of the base price. For example, X5 i35 xDrive based MSRP is $57K + $12K options or $69K.

So if the AWD Continental based MSRP is $47K + $9.7K or $56.7. The is based model, no upscaling for interior or better wheels or colors. That would be a package plus of additional $6K.
:thumb:
I hadn't thought of looking at percentages of base for option$-range, Harry,
tho imho it must be PER TRIM-level ...except [BL], which should have a Lot 'baked-in'

edit:
just configurated full-loads on an X-Select = 26.6% above plain
& an X-Reserve = 38.9% above plain
not unlike I expected**
Update: X-[BL] yields ~28.6% above "plain"

so
for Conti with either established $3½/3½/8k steps OR my $5/5/10k steps:

~60k upto $77,144 _________. $65k upto $83,573 __= [BL]s
~52k upto $72,230 .____.____. $55k upto $76,395 __= Reserves
~48½k upto $61,400 ___..____ $50k upto $63,300 __= Selects
.$45k upto $54,000 ._________ $45k upto $54,000 __= Premieres
will figurate the [BL] % later > DONE

** I under-estimated both Reserve and [BL]'s range
tho
wonder about making some of the optional equipment STD?
my suggestion might be (most/some of) the Climate & Technology Pkgs
thus raising the established price steps without increasing the top price?
=
$65k upto $77,144 _= [BL] __.= ~19%
$55k upto $72,230 _= Reserve _= 31%
$50k upto $63,300 _= Select
$45k upto $54,000 _= Premiere

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This may be 'apples to oranges', but the base Expedition now starts at just over 45K.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
208 Posts
If Lincoln wants to sell the most Continentals, it will be priced below the CT6 and a little higher the the Buick LaCross. But it depends on what you get for the based price model of course! With the internet; you cannot fool anyone for more the a week, since word spreads quickly!

21 - 40 of 95 Posts