Ford Inside News banner

What price should the Continental $TART at?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Two days ago, I visited my local dealership in Tampa to claim my $75 gift-card for a test-drive.

My SA said he's expecting the continental to start at $70K which surprised me. When I told him that in that case, many current MKS-owners would be in for a big surprise (or shock), he said that basically, the Continental would be built for China and that Lincoln isn't planning on selling many of them in the US.

I'm not sure about that but we will see...:wink2:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
^ I'm trying to think of what he could have heard and mis-interpreted
but
even a [BL] imho really oughta start no higher than $65k

maybe you shoulda BET him, LFFL?
"IF it starts at $70k or higher, you'll buy your "next Lincoln" from him
(note: did Not specify model or when)
But if the Conti starts under $60, he GIVES you one"
:nevreness:

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Two days ago, I visited my local dealership in Tampa to claim my $75 gift-card for a test-drive.

My SA said he's expecting the continental to start at $70K which surprised me. When I told him that in that case, many current MKS-owners would be in for a big surprise (or shock), he said that basically, the Continental would be built for China and that Lincoln isn't planning on selling many of them in the US.

$70k starting would be very much off the mark. The product has to compete in it's segment in the US and China, and starting at $70k, it would start $20k higher than the E-Class and 5-Series that it is to compete with. The E-Class/5-Series segment is the largest luxury sedan class in the US and China. So we know that's not going to happen.

It's got to remain an upgrade from the MKZ, which should get a slight price bump to $38k for 2017, and position the Continental at minimum $48k to start. Before Black Label, trim level and other upgrades should bring it to $55k, and Black Label could get it to $60k.

Lincoln is going after the largest luxury segments to build up sales volume, overpricing the Continental outside the largest luxury segment makes no sense.

MB has a new E-Class coming that Continental has to compete with, and 5-Series is already the best seller. Bother start in the low $50s.

Just look at how the New MKC and MKX was positioned with it's competition.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
...It's got to remain an upgrade from the MKZ, which should get a slight price bump to $38k for 2017, and position the Continental at minimum $48k to start. Before Black Label, trim level and other upgrades should bring it to $55k, and Black Label could get it to $60k...
:thumb:
what drivetrain would your $60k [BL] Conti have, @Bloggin ?
- 3.0t Awd +DrvPkg
- 3.0t Awd
- 3.0t Fwd
- 2.7t Fwd
- 2.3t Fwd
- something else
?

·
Registered
511 Posts
$70K Price only works if Continental is a single model, burger with the lot deal.
Otherwise Lincoln is pushing you know what up hill....

·
Registered
67 Posts

Starting at $70k? Not a chance in (we can't say h e l l?).

Considering the current MKS starts under $40k, and the target Germans (A6, 5-Series, E-Class), start between $46k-$52k. And the tweener Caddys are in that same range, this would be pricing suicide.

I'd wager an educated guess at mid to high $40's.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yeah, as I said, I'm also skeptical about that.

A $70K starting price is almost 7-Series territory...:laugh2:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I seem to remember a much LARGER car than those Germans that the Continental upstaged at the autoshow :angel ...don't remember ever seeing the CTsix compared to a midsizer...
&
what I'd like to see is the NUMBER of Lincolns sold at their entry-base price...

...for all I know, Lincoln actually DOES report that - just hasn't HAPPENED yet

wish the guy who made this Poll phrased it more realistically re-:angel

·
Registered
511 Posts
I seem to remember a much LARGER car than those Germans that the Continental upstaged at the autoshow :angel ...don't remember ever seeing the CTsix compared to a midsizer...

&
what I'd like to see is the NUMBER of Lincolns sold at their entry-base price...

...for all I know, Lincoln actually DOES report that - just hasn't HAPPENED yet

wish the guy who made this Poll phrased it more realistically re-:angel
Your best hope is listening to sales confrenecces.
Usually ther are some tid bits in there about monthly product mix, I remember when the new MKZ finally started flowing to dealerships
that the product mix was around 50% base trim while the rest were
IIRC Reserve and around 30% hybrisd across the range, gone backwards a bit now since lower gas prices.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think a better comparison would be the pricing on the Caddy XTS which is where the sweet spot is for the US American Luxury car consumer, the CTS if for customers that don't exist. Lincoln will be picking up where Caddy is leaving off. The Continental will have very limited appeal to German-leaning shoppers which are not as price sensitive. However, I think Continental can scale to some lofty heights but needs to start low for fleet buyers and the core value-oriented Lincoln customer. This will evolve over time and Lincoln is moving up market every decade.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I think a better comparison would be the pricing on the Caddy XTS which is where the sweet spot is for the US American Luxury car consumer, the CTS if for customers that don't exist.:)thumb:) Lincoln will be picking up where Caddy is leaving off. The Continental will have very limited appeal to German-leaning shoppers which are not as price sensitive. However, I think Continental can scale to some lofty heights but needs to start low for fleet buyers and the core value-oriented Lincoln customer. This will evolve over time and Lincoln is moving up market every decade.
The base Continental should be $45,000, same as the XTS.
...now I hafta get the prices for XTS :facepalm:
= 45,295/46,290 to 64,765(3.6TT) to 73,315(Vsport) to 77,773

= 304hp/264tq to 64,765(3.6TT) to 73,315 410hp/369tq

&
found an old Conti pricechart from when there still was a "Preferred" trim-level...
...Anyone remember when that was dropped?

&
Thanks to new voter(s)! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
going outside the 'brackets' (Not box)...

If Lincoln wants to sell the most Continentals, it will be priced below the CT6 and a little higher the the Buick Lacrosse. But it depends on what you get for the based price model of course! With the internet; you cannot fool anyone for more the a week, since word spreads quickly!
31,990 - 34,735 - 36,825 --- $50,839 incl $4080 wheels + $550 foglamps + $paint
note: Lacrosse Only comes in Summit WHITE ...ie for free
EVERY other paint color is +$395 ...'cept for White Frost TriCoat = +$995
note2: new gen coming WITH torque-vectoring Awd bought from the same company FoMoCo does

Yeah, as I said, I'm also skeptical about that.
A $70K starting price is almost 7-Series territory...:laugh2:
I have a feeling that not only does NObody get a 7er at/near $70k,
& doubt the dealers bother stocking Any
>> configurator <<
base 2016 740i Sedan = $81,300 +dest$995
interestingly-imho, it seems the only extra-cost paints are the 2 that require the Msport Pkg

- - - - - - - -

guess BETWEEN the Lacrosse & 7er IS about Right...
:thumb:
...ie PRE-cD6

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
saw:
jry @ GMI said:
... Anyways, If that engine turns out 400 HP and Torque AND if it has any decent handling characteristics, It'll be a hit.
Today, Mark Fields was talking to Paul W. Smith on WJR. He leaked a price point that blew my mind. He said that it'll start at 47K. That could ruin the day for the CT6 or 300. Standard HP and Torque numbers that will be an option on the 6?!?! That 6 had better handle really well and really look upscale. Shoot, a tricked out Continental for the price of a base CT6? Ouch, Cadillac, ouch.

then:
Also, are we sure this isn't going to become Lincoln's #1 seller? Perhaps even give some rivals (thinking Lexus/MB) a run for their money? We have the return of an iconic nameplate, it's starting under $50k (reasonable price of entry), 3 distinct engines (from casual cruising to high speed), endless customization options, an amazing interior and a beautiful exterior. 2b2 - your sales estimates for the Continental used to seem a bit lofty to me but now I'm thinking you were on to something

for reference: 16k to 26k annually ... U.S Only
Don't think we've had much/any speculation about how many China will buy - - - imho More
and thought...
with just the MKS and XTS going away, their sales = 29,989 - 32,495

plus, tho it's changing as I type, Genesis sold 31,374 - 29,992

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
made a new chart based on interpreting Mark Field's recounted "$47k"
- if that's with del.chg: -$925 = $46,075 ...doing the pricepoint trick = $45,990
then
- reduced U.S engines to 3.7 & 3.0T, don't see any reason for the 2.7T (if the MKZ can handle a Fwd 3.0T)
- assumed the same +$2k for Awd on the 3.7 charged on (at least some) other Lincolns
- made the "DriversPkg" torque-vectoring Std on 3.0T-Awds and raised the upcharge to +$3k
- arbitrarily chose +$4k as the upcharge for the 3.0T (maybe not available on Premiere?)
- lastly, used trim $ increases, & 'loaded' increases, identical to the current MKX

new idea? ...and current/corrected power #s:
Continental ................. P > +3290 >> S > +3765 >> R > +7235 >> [BL]
3.7 Awd 304hp 279tq ....... $47990......$51280 ..... $55045 ....... $62280
3.5 Fwd 287hp 254tq ....... $45990 .... $49280 ..... $53045 ....... $60280
2.#T F/Awd 250-300hp > export only

also wondering if the 3.0T Fwd Conti could handle a bit more hp than the MKZ?
like I'm already thinking for the Awd/GKN version

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Thanks to LincolnFanFL's Conti brochure we now know the 2.7T is in the mix,
so made (too?)minor changes:

Continental ................. P > +3290 >> S > +3765 >> R > +7235 >> [BL]
................... loaded: .....? ..... 67500 ...... 79500 ........ 81500
3.0T Awd+ 420hp 400tq ..... ------ .....$56280 ..... $60045 ....... $67280
3.0T Awd 400hp 400tq ...... ------ .....$55280 ..... $59045 ....... $66280
2.7T Awd 335hp 380tq ...... $50990 .....$54280 ..... $58045 ....... $65280
2.7T Fwd 335hp 380tq ...... $48990 .....$52280 ..... $56045 ....... $63280
3.7 Awd 300hp 270tq ....... $47990......$51280 ..... ------ ....... ------
3.7 Fwd 300hp 270tq ....... $45990 .... $49280 ..... ------ ....... ------
2.#T F/Awd 250-300hp > export only

played with hp/tq numbers, separated the Torque-Vectoring (Awd+) &
omitted a Fwd 3.0T ...which makes that unique for the MKZ
Wonder if the Conti's 3.0T will require any Pkgs which would raise its default prices?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wonder if the Conti's 3.0T will require any Pkgs which would raise its default prices?
Good question...

The addition of the 2.7 as standard feature on the Reserve surprised me since this is a new direction currently not seen on the MKZ. Who knows - maybe this is an indicator that Lincoln is playing with the idea of making the 3.0T standard on the BL?:angel

That would be a nice bait to sell more BLs...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Good question...

The addition of the 2.7 as standard feature on the Reserve surprised me since this is a new direction currently not seen on the MKZ. Who knows - maybe this is an indicator that Lincoln is playing with the idea of making the 3.0T standard on the BL?:angel

That would be a nice bait to sell more BLs...
Depends on the difference in cost between the 2.7 and 3.0 with the advanced AWD. Forcing the added expense, if significant enough, would be no better than Cadillac forcing AWD onto any CT6 buyer who doesn't want the 4 banger.

Choice is a good thing, especially when lack of choice is used as a driver to move upgrade packages.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts