Ford Inside News banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
These are great designs, and really drive home the point that the current logo shouldn't be used. The current logo is a stylized M shaped to show a waterfall grill. But if you think about it, they haven't used a true waterfall grill in years.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the stylized "M" is fine. It's familiar enough and modern enough AND it still looks good. IMHO It doesn't require a waterfall grill.

With all of Mercury's troubles is an emblem that big a deal? They used to sell 500,000 a year, now it's less than 100,000.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think the stylized "M" is fine. It's familiar enough and modern enough AND it still looks good. IMHO It doesn't require a waterfall grill.

With all of Mercury's troubles is an emblem that big a deal? They used to sell 500,000 a year, now it's less than 100,000.
I agree. Keep the logo and lose the grille.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...they haven't used a true waterfall grill in years.
:confused:
is there more to being a waterfall than having vertical slats?
(which imho is the most perfect type of grille design ...imho... including the original COUGAR's version;
& even if they did a "light-bar" redux, as long as it had vertical ridges in the lens I'd consider it waterfall-ish ;))

I also like chrome mesh grilles but would prefer to see Lincoln adopt that - perhaps as an option

·
Registered
3 Posts
These are great designs, and really drive home the point that the current logo shouldn't be used. The current logo is a stylized M shaped to show a waterfall grill. But if you think about it, they haven't used a true waterfall grill in years.
You know, when I first saw the Mercury emblem, I thought it looked like an open road curving off to the side in the distance... it was only later that I realized it was supposed to be an "M" :p

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
:confused:
is there more to being a waterfall than having vertical slats?
(which imho is the most perfect type of grille design ...imho... including the original COUGAR's version;
& even if they did a "light-bar" redux, as long as it had vertical ridges in the lens I'd consider it waterfall-ish ;))

I also like chrome mesh grilles but would prefer to see Lincoln adopt that - perhaps as an option
A waterfall grill has a bend in it as it falls (kinda like the emblem). Mercury used it in the early 70's on some cars, and Oldsmobile used it in on the 78' cutlass too. It was really state of the art in the 30's, and now everything with plain old verticle slats gets the name though they pale in comparison.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the emblem is not bad at all, its quite nice. im for keeping it except on cougar

·
Registered
254 Posts
You know, when I first saw the Mercury emblem, I thought it looked like an open road curving off to the side in the distance... it was only later that I realized it was supposed to be an "M" :p
I'm sure that's the image they were going for, and I think it's very evocative. What would be more apt than a turn in the road?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Merc had the waterfall design as far back as I can remember. It's fine with me. What I am worried about is the lack of models in the lineup. The Grand Marquis is history after next year. It's had the same body style since '98. The last of the RWD. Ford is shooting itself in the foot. Ford could start from scratch and give the car a modern look. A 3.7 engine, 6sp transmission, and all the latest gadets. Mer counterpart Buick has a midsize and fullsize in the lineup for the forseeable future. Merc will be trailing here. Buick will also have a sporty Regal out soon. General Motors, or Government Motors, whatever you call it, will regain it place ahead of Ford.:toetap:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Merc had the waterfall design as far back as I can remember. It's fine with me. What I am worried about is the lack of models in the lineup. The Grand Marquis is history after next year. It's had the same body style since '98. The last of the RWD. Ford is shooting itself in the foot. Ford could start from scratch and give the car a modern look. A 3.7 engine, 6sp transmission, and all the latest gadets. Mer counterpart Buick has a midsize and fullsize in the lineup for the forseeable future. Merc will be trailing here. Buick will also have a sporty Regal out soon. General Motors, or Government Motors, whatever you call it, will regain it place ahead of Ford.:toetap:
Buick is pulling the plug on the Lucerne, the biggest Buick (excluding the Enclave) will be the LaCrosse... admittedly, I think the Milan is closer in size to the upcoming Regal.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ford align its larger cars on the Fusion-Milan-MKZ model, with Taurus-Sable-MKS... but right now the top-level Taurus is $37,770, and the base MKS is $41,270 (going by the websites), is there enough room for a Mercury?

I like the Grand Marquis a lot, but let's face it, the Panther platform can only last so much longer, and Ford wants to close the plant where it's made...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, the design I posted for the Crown vic update would carry over well to Mercury, but if they are closing the plant then there's not much point.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I wouldn't mind seeing Ford align its larger cars on the Fusion-Milan-MKZ model, with Taurus-Sable-MKS... but right now the top-level Taurus is $37,770, and the base MKS is $41,270 (going by the websites), is there enough room for a Mercury?

I like the Grand Marquis a lot, but let's face it, the Panther platform can only last so much longer, and Ford wants to close the plant where it's made...
I still believe
- the superTaurus is an experiment
- the decision hasn't been made to continue it OR do a new Tbird
- the nextgen F-Awd MKS could become a Merc once the SmallMercTheorem expires & after the GRwdP starts up

·
Registered
137 Posts
i wish ford would just throw us a freaking bone already, maybe tracer is still up in the air too. which would be very bad. the only thing i hope for this long wait is that they will update Milan and Mariner too with a whole new look to go with a new design langauge

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
saintl1, even tho I think the Mariner is amazingly beautiful as is,
that's a great idea

an across-the-board "re-imaging" is perfect!
(or as close to perfect as a Cougar-less Mercury can be)
also with as few as 3 models:

...wonder if the reason for the silence & lack of showing anything (anything!) could be to allow the Mountaineer and MGM to exit before the intro of an all-new Mercury Brand - afaik LAIAS will be just after the Mountaineer shuts down;
dunno about the MGM, thought St.Thomas had another year to go.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts