1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Delays the Next Civic - N.Y.Times
May 18, 2010, 7:30 am
By JERRY GARRETT

The arrival of the ninth generation of the Honda’s Civic compact will be delayed from fall 2010 to at least summer 2011, it was reported Monday in Automotive News. The redesign will also carry a 2012 model year designation, instead of the originally planned 2011.

The delay is attributable to a couple of factors. For one, the eighth generation model, which made its debut in the fall of 2005 as a 2006 model, has been extremely well received and remains among Honda’s best-selling current models.

For another, the company decided midway through the development of the next model to rein in plans to make it larger, heavier and less fuel-efficient.

Instead, the focus will be on making the new Civic about the same size as the outgoing model and to put it on a diet that will yield more nimble handling and improved fuel economy.

Honda revealed at the Tokyo auto show in October that the the next Civic was being revamped.

Kurt Antonius, a spokesman for American Honda, said new fuel-economy and safety requirements enacted by the federal government last year might require automakers to re-evaluate many new models in the development pipeline.

The Civic is Honda’s longest-running automobile model in the United States, having been introduced in 1972 as a 1973 model.

----------------------
OR... ...could it be

THANKS to,
MKII (aka GhiaFan) & MikeDWhite for the idea and link

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Re: Honda delays next Civic - NYTimes

The current Civic was designed for optimum gas mileage, and as you can see from the Prius, the possible body changes are very limited when that is your top goal.
I'll bet that seeing more exciting designs coming form other makes that get better MPG, Honda has decided to put a little style back into the Civic.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

You can see Honda's troubles. Ford and GM have improved so much that Malibu and Fusion now get better mileage than Civic and Corolla. They have a serious problem when the Equinox and Escape are beating their compacts in MPG

The current Civic was designed for optimum gas mileage, and as you can see from the Prius, the possible body changes are very limited when that is your top goal.
I'll bet that seeing more exciting designs coming form other makes that get better MPG, Honda has decided to put a little style back into the Civic.
It also means GM and Ford better be prepared for a Quick MCE on Cruze and New Focus. Honda can make good cars..

·
Registered
531 Posts

I think there could be some truth to the possibility of the new Civic growing too large for it's market. The Accord keeps growing and the Civic has been growing.. So that could be it.. But I do feel it's more than likely that Honda sees what competitors like GM and Ford are doing - and need to up the anti..

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WHAT'S WRONG AT HONDA? ...Honda delays next Civic

What's Wrong At Honda? Maybe Everything - AutoObserver

May 26, 2010

It's unusual for Honda Motor Co. Ltd. to deviate from its rigid model-replacement schedule, particularly for its bread-and-butter volume models such as the Civic. But that's just what the company is doing with the planned Civic replacement, pushing back the car's introduction from this fall until sometime next year. ..

quite a bit more...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it just me, or are all Hondas becoming land barges lately? Honestly, I stood beside an Accord today, and there's no way it's anywhere near the size of a Fusion; it's much larger, IMO, or seems to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts