Ford Inside News banner

Which Brands will Merc-customers choose INSTEAD?

• I'll buy new/used Mercs as long as possible then STOP DRIVING!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll customize whatever I get to make it look like a MERCURY!

• Lincoln - probably a base/demo/clearance model

• Ford - possibly a Titanium trim

• GM (maybe a BUICK considering what they've got now & coming)

• Chrysler (if Fiat does a good job)

• Saab (love the new 9-5 & their recent concepts)

• something Asian probably

• anything BUT a FoMoCo vehicle

• Other . . .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that FoMoCo won't have Mercury to kick around (neglect, starve, ignore, belittle, or LIE-about) any more

Which Brands will Merc-customers choose INSTEAD?
if YOU are a potential Mercury customer:
WHAT WILL YOU PUT ON YOUR LIST?

Important! for purposes of this Poll
- IF you probably would've bought a Ford or Lincoln regardless;
or
- IF you would've NEVER personally considered Mercury;
either
Imagine What a Merc-Buyer Would Do
Or PLEASE DO NOT VOTE

[ ] I'll buy new/used Mercs as long as possible then STOP DRIVING!
[ ] I'll customize whatever I get to make it look like a MERCURY!
[ ] Lincoln - probably a base/demo/clearance model
[ ] Ford - possibly a Titanium trim
[ ] GM (maybe a BUICK considering what they've got now & coming)
[ ] Chrysler (if Fiat does a good job)
[ ] Saab (love the new 9-5 & their recent concepts) new "93" Link
[ ] something Asian probably
[ ] anything BUT a FoMoCo vehicle (Stupid Assholes!)
[ ] other . . .
  • multi-choice is OK in case you're as upset/confused as I am
  • open-minded Guests are welcome to vote
  • members' name will be shown with their choices

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
like I said, I'm confused
so voted both
[ ] Ford
[ ] anything BUT a FoMoCo vehicle (Stupid Assholes!)
but
I seem to be getting MORE UPSET, not less
&
even tho I think FoMoCo makes the best vehicles overall - can't imagine wanting an F-or-L just now
&
IF I get over it enough - probably won't get a Titanium so I can put the money into customization

·
Registered
919 Posts
I chose Ford Titanium Level.

I am going from the Milan to the Fiesta. Dropping 2 class levels...lol. BUT I love the looks and features of the Fiesta so I know I will love it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I voted for the first and 3rd options .

2b2 , I feel your pain because I'm a huge fan of Mercury and the Panther platform whom will be killed soon .

My first car was a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis , I adored that car and it was the main reason that I'm now loyal to Fomoco .

The 2009 Mercury Sable was my favorite car of the latest Mercury lineup .

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I voted for the first and 3rd options ...
I'm so glad I put that first poll choice in, Mercury_1988

...for You... even tho I couldn't pick that one - tho it's how I feel too
edit
OH COOL! djhogie voted for that too!
&
if I won the lottery, one of my main dreams would be building a new Mercury Panther!!!
think I'd use the 117" wlb from the TC but it'd get all-custom sheetmetal anyway (aluminium!) to go with its 3.5EB - prolley only making 400hp cuz I'd want high-MPG & a DCT/PowerShift

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a "what if" thought today. Considering that until about 10 years ago Lincoln had no more than 3 vehicles, what if Lincoln becomes the "new" Mercury with 7 or so vehicles, is integrated into Ford dealers and then in a few years or so Ford comes up with a new Ultra-luxury line (i.e. Jaguar style?) with a name like, say, Essex, and makes that the "new" Lincoln? It could be sold in a separate and brand new franchise.

I guess that would work for me.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I voted for the first and 3rd options ...
I so glad I put that first poll choice in, Mercury_1988

...for You... even tho I couldn't pick that one - tho it's how I feel too
&
if I won the lottery, one of main dreams would be building a new Mercury Panther!!!
think I'd use the 117" wlb from the TC but it'd get all-custom sheetmetal anyway (aluminium!) to go with its 3.5EB - prolley only making 400hp cuz I'd want high-MPG & a DCT/PowerShift

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a "what if" thought today. Considering that until about 10 years ago Lincoln had no more than 3 vehicles, what if Lincoln becomes the "new" Mercury with 7 or so vehicles, is integrated into Ford dealers and then in a few years or so Ford comes up with a new Ultra-luxury line (i.e. Jaguar style?) with a name like, say, Essex, and makes that the "new" Lincoln? It could be sold in a separate and brand new franchise.

I guess that would work for me.
Hi Autodriver
here's a "public welcome"
&
imho
FoMoCo is definitely going to re-establish a brand-let above the regular Lincolns
( *shh* C O N T I N E N T A L *shhh* )
&
to a degree it does look to me like they're turning/turned Lincoln into Merc
BUT
I'll NEVER forgive them for murdering a most-beloved NAME

...even IF I do come around to supporting F-L again

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
2b2 like I said I was in the same boat as you ;)

My first car was a 99 Mercury Sable LS that I turned into a LS Premier and I will never forget that car... even though it had awkward styling I thought it had one of the best backs of any car out there, specially those sleek tail lights. My last favorite Mercury would have to be the 04-05 Sable. The update they did on the 4th gen was great I loved it and I thought this is what Mercury SHOULD be.

Notice the grill is now chromed, and the fog lights, not Available on the Taurus

Notice how the tail lights now have amber turn signals, a feature NOT available on the Taurus

The interior is beautiful, even though its the same as the Taurus, it looks better on the Sable with the added wood inserts.

Now I would concider this platform sharing because on the outside the 4th gen Sable and 4th gen Taurus look nothing alike. The only part that is interchangeable on the exterior is the outside door, but then again not really since the Sable had chrome around the window which is not avaiable on the Taurus. The interiors were the same which bothered me but if only they changed them up just a bit.

The Milan is nice my friend bought one last year, an 07 I4 Premier with a 5 speed manual. Its a nice car but its too much like the Fusion.

Because of this Mercury really did not have a car I really liked when I started shopping for a replacement for my Sable. The only car I really concidered was a Marauder, but the fuel economy scared me. Lincoln won that battle and after driving my LS I am sold, Lincolns are some of the nicest cars on the road whether anyone here knows it or not. I got a nice experience in the MKS recently smooth ride, plenty of power and the interior is very well made. I love the leather stitched dash!

I hope that some day in the future Lincoln moves very far up market like Jaguar territory so that there can be hope for Mercury to make a come back... even though that will probably never happen which is too bad, the brand had a lot of poetential and it will be missed. But as for me, its Lincoln.

·
Registered
401 Posts
if I won the lottery, one of main dreams would be building a new Mercury Panther!!!
Wow that would be awesome :) and offer the new 5.0 as an optional engine :) .

What bothers me the most when the panthers turned 30 , Ford didn't release a special edition model for at least one of the panthers :( .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was not planning on buying another car until I retire in less than 3 years. Then I was planning to buy a Milan to replace the family Taurus. I hope I will be able to find one with low miles. There's nothing in the Ford line that interest me at the moment. Lincoln is too expensive for my wallet. Wth Cadillac coming with a CTS coupe, maybe Ford, down the road, will come out with a pair of coupes. One with Ford (Thunderbird) and Lincoln (Mark). The coupe would replace my personal car. I still think Ford made the wrong decision to kill Merc.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I was not planning on buying another car until I retire in less than 3 years. Then I was planning to buy a Milan to replace the family Taurus. I hope I will be able to find one with low miles. There's nothing in the Ford line that interest me at the moment. Lincoln is too expensive for my wallet. Wth Cadillac coming with a CTS coupe, maybe Ford, down the road, will come out with a pair of coupes. One with Ford (Thunderbird) and Lincoln (Mark). The coupe would replace my personal car. I still think Ford made the wrong decision to kill Merc.
@djhogie,
Out of curiosity, have you ever considered a Ford Fusion? Its almost identical to the Mercury Milan.

This I think is also one of the reasons why Ford killed Mercury, because with the added standard features and available options on the new Ford models, there is no more need for a Mercury version.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not to get too off-topic but
...This I think is also one of the reasons why Ford killed Mercury, because with the added standard features and available options on the new Ford models, there is no more need for a Mercury version.
imho
this is a cart-before-the-horse confusion
imho
the Murder started At Least when FoMoCo Killed Mercury in Canada (1999 iirc)
some assholes within FoMoCo have gunning for Merc for a looooong time

&
saw some discussion elsewhere about special badging for the last Mercs
imho
it's OBVIOUS
since
Merc has had a top-of-the-line PREMIER trim...
...it'd make sense on many levels** to finish up with a DERNIER badge

**Premier means "first" in French
Dernier means:
- "last"
- "most fashionable" (dernier cri)
- and is also the name of an old coin derived from denarius
therefore

·
Registered
61 Posts
I STILL WISH there were some way to save Mercury even with just one or two vehicles. A Cougar and a Capri. Would that be so bad? I think not!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Buick is tied with Lincoln?
I think Lincoln is above Buick... Lincoln offers more in their cars and more powerful engines.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I STILL WISH there were some way to save Mercury even with just one or two vehicles. A Cougar and a Capri. Would that be so bad? I think not!
me too, autodriver!!!
the C557 should've been called "Capri"
& the Mariner could've been kept around until the COUGAR was ready...

this ^ is solely my opinion, not in any way the view of FiN/FmcNews
&
it's also a more polite version than the first one I did
...which involved where I'd like to shove their shiny oval blue things

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know it's not at all scientific
but our little sampling shows only about (just under) 20% of Merc buyers will consider a Lincoln
the SAME % as those looking to GM-Buick for their next vehicle
otoh
the Ford Brand comes in at 30% (so far)

so (jumping to some conclusions)
- Ford will get a larger share of the HALF of Merc buyers who don't bail out of FoMoCo (oughta please the ONE FORD fanatics)
- HALF of Merc buyers WILL JUMP SHIP
- standalone L-M dealers are DOOMed unless they add another brand
- Lincoln gains very little ( DUH! )
- GM owes the KillMerc assholes a thank-you card

·
Registered
55 Posts
For the record, I love[d] the look of the Milan but couldn't imagine what a Mercury owner would do next so I didn't vote.

I like autodrivers idea of a Cougar and Capri though. Not unlike the concept floated on GMI: letting Pontiac live in a Chevy Dealership on a podium as a specialty brand.

The same could be had for Mercury but they would need to increase their exclusivity (such as being the only way into a sport luxury coupe). Obviously the Mustang is there but its a very "shouty" design.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts