Ford Inside News banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 · (Edited)
until TransparentAluminium is invented
I might like a bulletproof -yet- ultralight
. . . . . . . . . .... kelvar re-enforced carbon-fiber sliding panel with an auto-close triggered by gunshot/explosion SOUND
New Euro Fiesta has a similar one too called an "Openable Panorama Roof".
[img https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/24/590x/secondary/Ford-Fiesta-Vignale-748107.jpg /img]

I'm guessing the one on the Focus Mk4 opens the same way too.
not-so-related: think I really want the front edge curved, not straight-across

The 2007 Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX were among the first vehicles to have this type of panoramic sunroof with an extra large opening, it was one of the reasons I've leased so many MKXs over the years. Not all Vista Roofs are created equal, there is big variation in the opening size above the front seats, only the Edge, MKX, MKT, MKZ, and Continental actually have the oversized openings. It's less of a selling point now because you take it for granted but it's always worth the extra cost IMO.

I can imagine the MKZ replacement will never go back to the the single oversized opening again.

The 2007 Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX were among the first vehicles to have this type of panoramic sunroof with an extra large opening, it was one of the reasons I've leased so many MKXs over the years. Not all Vista Roofs are created equal, there is big variation in the opening size above the front seats, only the Edge, MKX, MKT, MKZ, and Continental actually have the oversized openings. It's less of a selling point now because you take it for granted but it's always worth the extra cost IMO.

I can imagine the MKZ replacement will never go back to the the single oversized opening again.
What do you mean? If anything, it'll revert to the "normal" MKX-esque setup rather than the full roof setup it has now.

What do you mean? If anything, it'll revert to the "normal" MKX-esque setup rather than the full roof setup it has now.
The roof on a midsize car is much smaller so we won't see an MKX Style opening, but perhaps a Continental style especially since the next MKZ will likely adopt more traditional luxury car styling and proportions to match the modern Lincoln aesthetic.

Discussion starter · #45 · (Edited)

Attachments

The roof on a midsize car is much smaller so we won't see an MKX Style opening, but perhaps a Continental style especially since the next MKZ will likely adopt more traditional luxury car styling and proportions to match the modern Lincoln aesthetic.
I'm not understanding the difference?

Large front opening, smaller rear opening on both Conti and MKX.

Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
via... Not: a 5 year old 'squished-fish-patty on a bun' (Z)

from What do you want to see from Lincoln? ^not
"where's waL?"

I want to see: back-up Plans ready to go
- some VISUAL-UPdate every-darn-year!
- some kind a trick-up-their-sleeve, just in case
- for goodness sake, a NEW COLOR, a NEW WHEEL, a "SPRING PACKAGE"
- sumthin!

:facepalm: > > >

'k - sorta back to the Spring Pkg/Seasonal Changes + a take-off on the DesignerSeries:
as a limited run
- yes, bring out a new wheel
- yes, add a new paintcolor (or more, or wrap?)
- yes, offer a color-match (or black-out) grille, too
AND
*What IF* they experimented with individual check-boxes? U R the Designer!
from scratch to full-zoot whatever can be done COULD be;
maybe offered a NUMBERED sequence, orders must be made by ###date,
even have a special website ...that even SHOWS what others have chosen (no names of course, just #s)
but would be a way of counting-down like an eBay auction
? ...wonder if this might be something that would gain momentum over time with people looking forward to ... it's presentation every NYC autoshow??
- - - - - - -
thinking NOW might be time for [WhiteLabel]

Discussion starter · #48 · (Edited)
"where's waLdø?"

PLUS^
...And of course, RAM has two hybrid drivetrains which might kick the pants off of EcoBoost for economy and torque...
I've been seeing multiple structure pix of surfboard-style battery-packs (Pre-Geneva/NYC)

&
naturally, I'm thinking about gutting the bottom out of some FLincmoco vehicles and "super-gluing" one of these to it...
( with or without a 1.0L generator )
...dunno how long it'd take to bring a real e-Z/MARK, eSTARng, e-Conti, e-Navi to market
but
afaik
the facility they're building next to FlatRock oughta be ready sooner than a whole-new architecture could be
so
Could 'FR2' start out by building adapted e-variants of the first^three?
&
Could they show any mock-ups at NYC?

Discussion starter · #49 ·
The opulence of options:
what (aNOTHER) $50K adds to the ($90k) 2018 MB S450 4Matic

MotorAuthority
- Andrew Ganz - Apr 6, 2018
crossreference: COLORS
Mercedes-Benz will sell you a 2018 S450 for $90,895. You’ll have to special order it and be prepared for the salesman to raise an eyebrow and repeatedly ask, “are you sure?”

That’s because the vast majority of Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedans that leave the automaker’s Sindelfingen, Germany, assembly plant are loaded with extra-cost options. The high degree of customizability helps ensure that Ben Affleck’s S-Class doesn’t look like George Clooney’s S-Class. Heaven forbid. By no means is Mercedes alone in encouraging buyers to add 50 percent or more to the base price of their cars; Porsche will gladly charge thousands to wrap climate control vents in soft leather dyed to match the owner’s favorite sweater.

Mercedes-Benz says the vast majority of buyers opt for at least a few options, starting with the $5,000 Premium package that adds goodies like massaging front seats, keyless ignition, and a surround-view monitor. From there, things get more complicated.

I recently spent a week in an especially well-equipped S450 4Matic, a base model with a final price of $141,845. The window sticker was so detailed it was printed in a tiny font. As a press demonstrator, the car was intentionally opulent—a “here’s what you can buy, should you dare” proposition.

Here’s a look at some of the highlights that you get with more than $50,000 in optional equipment:

Magic Sky Control: $4,950. It sounds like a Bond villain’s secret trick, but it isn’t. Instead, Magic Sky Control is Mercedes-speak for sunroof glass that lightens or darkens at the press of a button. The Boeing 787 Dreamliner uses the same tech for its windows.

Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound System: $6,400.[/b] No high-end car is complete without a thumping audio system. The S-Class’ optional Burmester system includes 24 speakers, some of which are wedged into the (optional) suede headliner. Home theater audio system brand Burmester isn’t a household name in the U.S., unless your household includes a Mercedes, Porsche, or Bugatti.

A rear seat suited for a (robber-baron): $10,900.[/b] For nearly $11,000, a handful of options work in concert to make the S-Class’ rear seat the place to be. First, the $1,700 Rear Seat package adds a power-deployable footrest for the right-side seat and four-zone climate control. The $3,500 Executive Rear Seat package features massaging rear seats and power adjustment for the right side. That’s a good start, but “just” $1,950 more buys the Executive Rear Seat Package Plus that discards with a three-seat bench in favor of business class airline-style individual rear seats with a wood-trimmed center console, fold-out tables, and heated and cooled cupholders. Those cupholders pair well with the $1,100 rear seat refrigerator, which unfortunately takes up a lot of trunk space. Finally, $2,650 buys a rear-seat entertainment system with twin displays and remote controls. With 4G LTE service activated, the rear-seat screens can stream web programming to the supplied wireless headphones.

AMG Line: $5,900.[/b] This one’s a head-scratcher. Mercedes tapped its AMG performance division for special wheels and a body kit, plus aluminum pedals. At a hefty $5,900, the AMG Line is just an appearance package with little to no effect on performance.

Driver Assistance package: $2,250.[/b] Mercedes bundles its most advanced tech in a single package that’s surprisingly reasonably priced for what it includes. A so-equipped S-Class will automatically keep a safe distance from the car ahead, even in congested traffic. It will come to a complete stop and then start up again on its own and its steering will automatically keep the vehicle within lane markers. It will detect cars in the adjacent lanes and prevent the driver from changing lanes into them. It will even slow for corners, toll booths, or roundabouts. It can’t drive itself, but it’s darn close.

Designo trim: $5,750.[/b] Mercedes-Benz’s in-house design team offers a handful of stylish interior shades. The S450 4Mstic I drove was outfitted with nappa leather dyed a purplish red that contrasted with an interior that was otherwise a light beige. Piano black wood trim with a delicate silver inlay dressed things up, too, and owners can spend $4,000 more for semi-aniline leather.

This astounding degree of customizability illustrates how automakers continue to define the notion of luxury, and pad the bottom line.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
FWIW via MotorAuthority: RR launches configurator for Cullinan

...Naturally, pricing isn't listed with the configurator or any associated options. That didn't stop us from digging through the tool to build one opulent SUV. Rolls-Royce offers eight exterior colors ranging from a deep red, a soft blue, green, and typical whites, blacks, and silvers.

After choosing a color, potential customers move along to exterior style. The portion gives potential buyers (read: dreamers) the choice to choose a separate color for the coachline, select various wheel options, and choose the style for the ever-important "Spirit of Ecstasy" hood ornament.

Inside, the choices grow...

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.