Ford Inside News banner

First to 100k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought of this while posting in the other thread. What do you guys think?

Here are some numbers. As of April of this year Lincoln has sold 29,612 up 4.2 percent from 28,406.

Last year Lincoln sold 94,474 units total. If you do the math and say 4.2 percent better would be around 98k for the year. Still short of 100k but there are factors that could change such as the new MKX. We don't know how well they are selling in China yet but from everything we heard it is very good and Buick sells close to 1 million over there.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
436 Posts
I voted Lincoln USA.

What I just don't understand is before Ford discontinued Mercury it had been left to wither away with almost no investment and left with just three models but Lincoln has a total of six models and has had a lot of investment poured into it and yet still doesn't sell as well.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I voted Lincoln USA.

What I just don't understand is before Ford discontinued Mercury it had been left to wither away with almost no investment and left with just three models but Lincoln has a total of six models and has had a lot of investment poured into it and yet still doesn't sell as well.
Mercury had a much lower base price so it was more affordable.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Mercury had a much lower base price so it was more affordable.
True. Some want Ford to bring back the 'almost luxury' Mercury brand, but with the Ford brand moving more and more upmarket with trim levels, looking at US YTD sales, the Ford brand outsells the Chevrolet and Buick brands combined by over 50k units. With China being a vastly different story, primarily due to the late entry of Ford into the Chinese market. But Ford is quickly and steadily gaining momentum. While GM has had to cut MSRP of most all Chevy and Buick model pricing by thousands, Ford has only reduced the price of the Explorer to maintain sales momentum for the model.

Lincoln on the other hand, has no place to go but up. Each new model launched and each new dealership opened can only increase sales. In the US, the 2016 MKX should bring more consumers into Lincoln stores and increase sales for 2015.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ glad this already became a Mercury thread :clap:
&
deceptively intricate Poll, Andrew :thumb: :thumb:

U.S.A = nearly there / lots of baggage
China = Ø info / EVERYthing ShinyNewPERFECT

full 2014 #s
Lincoln-USApril

I'd like to think:
Navi = 1500 per month / 18k
Z+C+X = almost 7500 pm / ~90k
= easy-peazy
THO thru April those last 3 are just over HALFway to my #pm
for 100k I could** vote USA
but
for 200k >> China

** edit: last second, changed my "mind" = dunno

...What I just don't understand is before Ford discontinued Mercury it had been left to wither away with almost no investment and left with just three models but Lincoln has a total of six models and has had a lot of investment poured into it and yet still doesn't sell as well.
Thomas,
...Lincoln gains very little...(from) the KillMerc...
old Poll ^^^
& in old posts (google'd) I've gone into the CONSPIRACY by some FACTION within FoMoCo that had been trying to Kill Merc since the 90's (iirc) when they got Mercury taken out of Canadia
(( I seriously hope all those ****ers are DEAD now! ))
I've lost the textfiles but Mercury sold over 500k **HALF A MILLION** while said-****ers were trying to Kill my Brand - so it wasn't a rational, bean-counter thing - 'they' had a insane grudge

this fanboy moment has been brought to you by
& 2b2
we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I am afraid of is the new MKX cutting into MKC sales thus not getting as many gains as it should. We shall see though.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
What I am afraid of is the new MKX cutting into MKC sales thus not getting as many gains as it should. We shall see though.
well if the X takes C sales at least they'll mostly like be higher priced
+ the C is capacity constrained (severely imho) while the X isn't!!

&
Andrew, did you expect the votes to be this close? I didn't

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well if the X takes C sales at least they'll mostly like be higher priced
+ the C is capacity constrained (severely imho) while the X isn't!!

&
Andrew, did you expect the votes to be this close? I didn't
I did not 2b2!

I voted China. I have a feeling we will get really close this year maybe 98 or 99k just shy of 100k and next year China will surpass USA. Just IMO but we shall see! It will be fun watching!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Given the number of them reportedly sitting idle on dealer lots I don't think production constraints are the issue.
There are just 6k MKC and 6k RDX models and just 2800 NX models on dealer lots.

YTD sales are 7,096 MKC, 15,314 RDX and 12,532 NX sales.

MKC inventory does not seem to be the problem.

It seems the MKC along with the MKZ were both designed and marketed to heavily toward 40+ females. Which has both lacking what younger adults and males in general are looking for in a compact CUV or personal sedan. Luckily Lincoln fixed that with the more athletic design of the MKX, where hopefully the strange guy in weird commercials will not return.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
USA by November 2016.
China by 2016 year end.

hope

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
MKC inventory has actually been robust since October last year, we are at a 100+ day supply so they need to get that under control. The MKC is one of those rare Lincolns that I can pick up in any configuration I want right now from stock, even in Black Label. The car I priced up in November from Crest's inventory is still available for purchase. They probably overproduced significantly but the market changed a bit with the drop in gas prices so they can quietly slow production to compensate.

For a Lincoln, MKC isn't doing terribly compared to an established Acura and customer rich Lexus. Lincoln commanding the market in any segment would be a monumental achievement which I don't think we should expect this early.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
There are just 6k MKC and 6k RDX models and just 2800 NX models on dealer lots.

YTD sales are 7,096 MKC, 15,314 RDX and 12,532 NX sales.

MKC inventory does not seem to be the problem.
By those numbers there is currently over three months supply of MKCs, just over one month of RDXs, and less than one month for the NX. Sounds like a problem to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts