Ford Inside News banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why a Car Guy CEO Isn't the Answer for Ford
Car guys know exactly what’s wrong with Ford: car guys like them aren’t running the show. Otherwise, every product coming out of Dearborn would look "great" (no need to be more specific) and dust the competition. Hence Bill Ford’s decision to hire Alan Mulally to take over as CEO comes as a real disappointment. Obviously, he would have done better hiring anyone who truly knows and loves cars than this Lexus-driving Boeing executive.

Sorry, CarNut4CEO. It just isn’t so.

Every auto enthusiast has done it. We’ve all figured we’d do a much better job running Ford than the suits in the Glass House. In design competitions, we’d pick the sexy themes, not the ugly ones. Focus groups wouldn’t have a say. We’d command the engineers to create direct-injected twin-charged dual-variable-cammed engines that rev smooth as silk and sing songs of pure adrenaline. There’d be no more slushboxes. No more front-wheel-drive, either. Every suspension would be firmly damped. Every bucket seat would be solidly bolstered. Cheap plastic would be banned and every bit of trim perfectly aligned.

http://truedelta.com/pieces/mulally.php?session_code=

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like what I read about Mr. Mulally

A fresh approach and a new set of eyes may do the turn around trick. I hear that the age old excuses don't cut it anymore.

For years the execs. have cranked up the optimism to improve the forecasts, poured on the incentives to make up part of the shortfall and dredged up a bunch of excuses to wash the stink off the business plan. And for years, they got by with it.

Hold them accountable and for gosh sake, don't keep bringing out new low volume vehicles trying to find a small piece of every niche market. We have to look at the Toyota model for world car production efficiencies.

The old car guys all want to build their own car company rather than work and think globally. Up the complexity cost for every new part they design/require that doesn't meet a global need and see if the business plan will survive at 50% of the forecasted volume.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts