Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why Ford Should Sell a Mustang SUV
Autoevolution | May 7, 2015

Say what you will about the way it handles, but the Ford Mustang is awesome to look at, especially the 2015 model year. In person, it impresses everybody, even the members of the opposite sex that aren't normally into cars.

The other day, I was walking down the street with my significant other and was surprised when she blurted out "Wow, that's a cool car. It's the only coupe I like. So much more distinctive than a BMW or Mercedes."

She wasn't wrong. Everybody around me was glancing at the same 2015 Mustang 5.0, even though it was bone-stock. I wish I could say that the reason can't be explained, but that's not true. Next to it was an Audi S5 that probably cost twice as much, yet had half the number of scoops, vents and air intakes.

Now that Ford has turned the Mustang into a global product, complete with a downsized turbocharged engine, you're going to see it everywhere from Moscow to Shanghai. All that pent-up demand will be put to use, probably resulting in increased sales for the 2015 pony car/coupe.

The sad fact is that I'll be 40 by the time I can afford to finance a new Mustang, and by then I'll need a minivan or SUV. But why doesn't Ford make a Mustang SUV instead? It would be practical and could eventually sell better than the regular coupe. There is precedent for turning one car into a whole brand too: MINI, Fiat 500 (now includes L and X models) or Range Rover.

Read more...

·
Registered
620 Posts
No. ****, no. No dilution of the Mustang brand.

As it is, I consider the "coupe" utilities to be the most ridiculous, moronic, and typically hideous vehicles not named "Ridgeline".

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the article is confused with offering variations on an SUV with trying to turn a sports car into an SUV. I think they forgot that the X6 is based on the X5 SUV. Range Rover is an SUV that offers SUV variations. The only viable variation of the Mustang sports car is the coupe, convertible.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
No just No.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The last thing Ford needs now is another SUV/CUV in its lineup. However; since there is no rear wheel drive sedan, I would love the idea of a 4 door Mustang.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The last thing Ford needs now is another SUV/CUV in its lineup. However; since there is no rear wheel drive sedan, I would love the idea of a 4 door Mustang.

If they were going to stretch the platform to make a 4 door Mustang, they should make it a completely different car, like dodge does with the charger/challenger. A car that was literally a stretched mustang would dilute the brand too much, like the SUV would.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No. ****, no. No dilution of the Mustang brand.

As it is, I consider the "coupe" utilities to be the most ridiculous, moronic, and typically hideous vehicles not named "Ridgeline".
Aye, I can't emphasize that enough! But unfortunately there seems to be a current trend towards this in the industry.

·
Registered
436 Posts

A car like that should be sold by LINCOLN. Better yet resurrect Mercury & sell it as the all new MARAUDER! :D

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I have months saying That Ford can make a complete líne of Mustangs as a sub- brand. That sedan fron Teofilus Chin is perfect for married guys with small childrens. Some kind of wagon, talll wagon or crossover aré possible,too . Is a heresy? Ask Porsche about the Cayenne and Macan. The brand'fans want to die when Porsche annunced its first SUV. Now, Is the best selling Porsche.

Come On! The times aré changing! Bentley will launch a SUV tris year! So, why Ford cant make a Mustang for those customers That want moré interior space and more off road capable Vehicle with the style and power of the Mustang?

·
Registered
997 Posts
How many of us here remember a Mustang Ghia with plush interior, vinyl roof with opera windows, wire wheel covers?? Almost like a mini-Mark IV. That was a Bold move back in the 1970's but Mustang lost its way because of it. The '79 Euro Mustang was as step in the right direction to bring Mustang back to performance.

While I'm not into CUV/SUV's, Mustang could do better with offering all wheel drive instead of the all out SUV look. After all isn't it up to Lincoln to do the SUV/CUV's that have more performance/luxury??

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
No, I don't want to see a Mustang SUV. Even so, I've been at best lukewarm to the new Mustang and I have to say that Mustang based SUV looks far better than the performance/coupe SUVs already on the market and to me at least works better than the actual Mustang itself from a styling standpoint.

Finally, if they were to tackle that niche market it is obviously best served by Lincoln.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
How about a new, modern Bronco that handles like a sports car with off-road capability?

A poor man's Range Rover Sport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts