Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why Ford should start buying back Aston Martin

Ok, so we all know the story why Ford had to sell most of Aston Martin back in 2006. Ford needed the cash as they saw the need to restructure. That restructuring is nearly over now and even though Ford is still losing money due to the economy, Ford needs to consider to start buying back (at least pieces) of Aston Martin.

First off, lets get this notion that some have said that Ford ruined Aston Martin when they controlled the company. That is simply untrue. Infact during Ford's control over the company, Aston Martin went from one of those small, "who cares" companies to a rival of the big leaguers of Ferrari and Porsche. Aston Martin went from selling around 700 units in 1994, when Ford bought them, to around 6000 units when Ford sold them.

Now lets get to the reasons why Ford needs to do this.

1. They probably planned this from the start.

Why would they keep part of the company if they didnt intend to buy it back? This is my belief about both Aston Martin and Mazda. To me, if Ford wanted to get rid of Aston Martin forever, they would'nt have kept part of the company to begin with. They were simply keeping their foot in the door so they could buy it back when they had to money to do so.

2. They could start losing control of their share.

Back a few months ago, Aston Martin made a deal with Daimler AG. The deal would let Aston Martin get to Daimler's engines and platforms and Daimler would be able to use the upcoming Rapide's platform for the next S-Class. Now if you recall, Ford's share of the company is the engines and if Aston Martin were to start using only Daimler engines, it could force them out.

3. Two for less than one.

When Ford sold Aston Martin in 2006, the economy had not crashed yet and Ford got top dollar in the sale. Now, Aston Martin has started the process of bringing back the historic Lagonda brand. Infact, they even changed the name of the company to "Aston Martin Lagonda Limited" to reflect this. So if Ford were to buy them back, Ford would get a premier sports car brand and a uber-luxury brand. Of course with this economy, Aston Martin is worth less than what they sold it for. So Ford could get 2 brands for less than one.

4. Owners might already be defaulting.

They have been rumors floating around for awhile that some of the Aston Martin investors have started defaulting on their loans. This could be an easy time to buy back shares of the company because these investors would love to get rid of it. But it could also bring other auto companies to buy parts of the company. That is why it would be smart so they dont lose control to another car company.

5. The Products

Aston Martin plain and simply makes some of the most beautiful cars in the world. Vantage, DBS, Rapide, etc, take your pick. All are first class. Also, Ford would be receiving more models than what they sold it with. When Ford sold it, Aston Martin had 5 models: V8 Vantage, V8 Vantage Volante, DB9, DB9 Volante, and DBS. Since the sale, Aston Martin has or is about to release 6 more models: V12 Vantage, V12 Vantage Volante, DBS Volante, One-77, Rapide, and Lagonda.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Nice editorial, Ausrutherford!

...Aston Martin plain and simply makes some of the most beautiful cars in the world...
AGREE!!!
but
tho I have a loooooooong time affection+lust (not nec. in that order
) for AstonMartin,
believe the ONE FORD dictum is correct in this case...
...any beauty that Fomoco could create for AM is better invested in F, M, & L
specifically
- imho most AM styling themes need to be infused into MERCURY Link 1 - Link 2
- with the exception of the Rapide>>Thunderbird
&
- I'd *LOVE* to see Lincoln develop a Top-Tier sub-range
starting with the much posted-about "Executive Land-Jet" ...perhaps not quite in AM's price category (imho a lasting & increasing after-effect of the EEKonomy™ will be the extinction of mega-buck supercars (ex: RR in it's present state) so that "6 digit" cars will stay under $200k)

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice editorial, Ausrutherford!

AGREE!!!
but
tho I have a loooooooong time affection+lust (not nec. in that order
) for AstonMartin,
believe the ONE FORD dictum is correct in this case...
...any beauty that Fomoco could create for AM is better invested in F, M, & L
specifically
- imho most AM styling themes need to be infused into MERCURY
- with the exception of the Rapide>>Thunderbird
&
- I'd *LOVE* to see Lincoln develop a Top-Tier sub-range
starting with the much posted-about "Executive Land-Jet" ...perhaps not quite in AM's price category (imho a lasting & increasing after-effect of the EEKonomy™ will be the extinction of mega-buck supercars (ex: RR in it's present state) so that "6 digit" cars will stay under $200k)
Well i think buying back part of Lincoln would be easier than making a top-tier lincoln. We already know AM is good at that nut Lincoln might not be since people are not use to it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think Ford is doing the right thing. Keeping focus on the Core Brands. Ford Should grow Lincoln and Mercury before venturing into the Big boys club again.
Agreed. Ford has to focus on its core brands for its survival. FML already has enough with which to deal.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Agreed. Ford has to focus on its core brands for its survival. FML already has enough with which to deal.
I think your right. If you can not handle what you have on your plate now, why get involved in more. I think 3 or 4 brands like Ford has now is best for them. Make your brands the best brands on the market, then add another one.

GM is learning this right now and is shedding their lower end brands, which are really good. I hope GM finds some good buyers for their off brands.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...GM is learning this right now and is shedding their lower end brands, which are really good. I hope GM finds some good buyers for their off brands.
ummm
seems to me GM is (starting to) delete their mid-range brands...
everything betwn ChevWoo & Cadillac, with the exception of Buick (for the mo), is what I've been reading about
no?

·
Registered
58 Posts
One would only need to look at Ferrari's worth and Fiat's worth to see the value in owning such a company. Ferrari sells less than 1% of the vehicles under the parent group, yet the worth makes up a large percentage.

Leaving the company separate, yet allowing for trickle down technology and access to parts bins on their request........ could build Aston into a real F-car challenger in all aspects someday. Eventually it could become a cash cow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts