Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW does pretty good with the 3- and 5-series Gran Turismos and Audi with the A7...it would give them an edge over Chevy's singular bodystyle Malibu as well...

Not everyone who wants utility wants a utility vehicle...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My brother was just here in Estonia visiting me for the past 2 weeks, and was freaking out with the numbers of Mondeo, Focus and other brands wagons and 5 door cars.
He is a Ford sales consultant at a dealership in Ottawa Canada. He is very frustrated that he does not have the 5 door and wagon Fusion available, as he is asked every week by customers why is Ford not offering these two variants in Canada. And he gets more requests for the wagon with Focus shoppers. It drives him NUTS.

He also was freaking out how nice the Mondeo's LED headlamps look.

My brother's oldest daughter (25 years old) fell head over heals in love with my Focus wagon. She has been driving Focus & Mazda3 hatches, and keep bugging her Dad why in the **** can't she buy a Focus wagon.

Reactions: Logans Run

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Really is so costly to Ford to produce the 5 door Fusion-Mondeo alongside the current 4 door sedan? The MKZ has more difference with the Fusion, and is assembled in the same line. The 5 door has a market in NorthAmerica, for sure. A huge market? maybe not, but 10 or 20 K more units a year could help Fusion to gain market share

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Tangentially related:

Unexpected success - Subaru XV Crosstrek. This quirky little thing is an Impreza lifted to the Forester's ride height (8.7" ground clearance) and they are EVERYWHERE.

If the rumors of a larger Focus lineup come to fruition, I BETTER see a similar offering from Ford, because it's exactly what I want. If Subaru offered the Crosstrek with the Forester XT's 2.0 turbo and a 6 speed instead of the CVT, I'd buy one this afternoon (just not in the available puke color or bright orange).

Also, if Ford were to somehow lift the Fusion wagon a touch, they could compete with the larger Outback, which also sells very well. There was a day when Subaru offered a Legacy and Legacy Wagon in addition to the Outback (lifted Legacy Wagon). It's fun to entertain the thought. Ford would need a not-****ty AWD system though (hello RS).

·
Registered
761 Posts
My brother was just here in Estonia visiting me for the past 2 weeks, and was freaking out with the numbers of Mondeo, Focus and other brands wagons and 5 door cars.
He is a Ford sales consultant at a dealership in Ottawa Canada. He is very frustrated that he does not have the 5 door and wagon Fusion available, as he is asked every week by customers why is Ford not offering these two variants in Canada. And he gets more requests for the wagon with Focus shoppers. It drives him NUTS.

He also was freaking out how nice the Mondeo's LED headlamps look.

My brother's oldest daughter (25 years old) fell head over heals in love with my Focus wagon. She has been driving Focus & Mazda3 hatches, and keep bugging her Dad why in the **** can't she buy a Focus wagon.
I also love the Mondeo's headlights including the cool turn signals. Another feature I would love to see make it's way to the Fusion is the Mondeo's black roof. Looks great. (IMHO)

View attachment 21794

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Hatchback that doesn't look like a Hatchback is a unique cultural preference in certain markets, it would not sell well in the US and add to the cost and complexity of manufacturing and stocking a vehicle that is starting to see slow growth anyway.

The Hatchback is the only Mondeo with a full glass roof which is where the black roof comes from. I do believe Fusion needs that full glass roof to compete on the high-end considering there are several other models with this feature already, although I realize Ford is holding back on this stuff for their Lincoln brand. I'm hoping we see some major feature upgrades for Fusion in the next update however, I'm expecting to see standard LED headlamps for example.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The Hatchback that doesn't look like a Hatchback...

...The Hatchback is the only Mondeo with a full glass roof which is where the black roof comes from. I do believe Fusion needs that full glass roof to compete on the high-end considering there are several other models with this feature already, although I realize Ford is holding back on this stuff for their Lincoln brand. I'm hoping we see some major feature upgrades for Fusion in the next update however, I'm expecting to see standard LED headlamps for example.
just-imho
the Mondeo5 is one of the few(er) hatchbacks that looks like one.
Most now look like wagon-ettes to me ... or a "wagatch" as we used to say on a Mazda forum back around 2005 about the Mz3
:yikes:

Back when the CD4s were coming out, I had this rant (& chops) about using the fastback style greenhouse for JUST the MKZ (due to PanoRoof) and a Fusion5door
and making the Fusion-sedan more of a notchback...
...guess I still have that rant

...re: this and some other "Why don't they...?" posts lately
imho
a lot of what FoMoCo doesN'T do is
-- cuz they don't HAVE to...'Murcans will buy what they're TOLD to
-- cuz they can force us to spend more on a Cuv
:facepalm:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Hatchback that doesn't look like a Hatchback is a unique cultural preference in certain markets, it would not sell well in the US and add to the cost and complexity of manufacturing and stocking a vehicle that is starting to see slow growth anyway.
If I recall, Chrysler did fairly well with the Dodge Lancers/Chrysler LeBaron GTSes and later Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance.

Kia is planning to make a production model of their GT concept as well.

It wouldn't cost much to add a few bits here and there to make it comply with US regs.

2b2 ...re: this and some other "Why don't they...?" posts lately imho a lot of what FoMoCo doesN'T do is -- cuz they don't HAVE to...'Murcans will buy what they're TOLD to -- cuz they can force us to spend more on a Cuv :facepalm:[/QUOTE said:
Any manufacturer that thinks they can sell me a CUV instead of a much sleeker and more stylish car has another thing coming.

I play in a band and have gear to haul to shows. I sure that makes me the perfect CUV customer in the eyes of more bean-counting auto execs, but I'm also a very 'visual' type of person...if it doesn't look good or at least unique and interesting, I don't care.

I was so disappointed when the Jaguar XE kept its fastback bodystyle but lost its hatch utility when it went into production, resulting in a mail-slot of a trunk opening...

No, the sooner the CUV fad ends the better, because every dollar that goes into the development/production of those kinds of vehicles is money lost for making more interesting cars.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I feel for you :crying2: I really do not think there is a hop in **** that Ford will bring back the wagon for North America. The anti wagon mentality is just too strong from forum posters and what appears to be threatened CUV/SUV owners.

Mondeo wagon is a beauty that is for sure

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The rest of the world is just lagging the US on the Crossover transition, but that will knock out wagons on a global scale within the next 10 years.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The rest of the world is just lagging the US on the Crossover transition, but that will knock out wagons on a global scale within the next 10 years.
You can always dream of a CUV/SUV infested euro roadway, but it will never happen :laugh2: Wagons rule in EU

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I feel for you :crying2: I really do not think there is a hop in **** that Ford will bring back the wagon for North America. The anti wagon mentality is just too strong from forum posters and what appears to be threatened CUV/SUV owners.

Mondeo wagon is a beauty that is for sure
Several of my friends have went from Focus wagons to Subaru Outbacks. One is back in a Fusion now because he hated the CVT transmission, and he would have bought a Fusion wagon if they made one.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Biggest difference in the automobile Euro market and North American is that the Euro customers have multiple vehicle choices. All shapes and sizes.

Reactions: scford58

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Biggest difference in the automobile Euro market and North American is that the Euro customers have multiple vehicle choices. All shapes and sizes.
Yep... American car manufacturers think we're all just a bunch of 'muricans who want bigger and taller pickups.

"You know you want a truck"

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You do understand that Ford in the US offers more vehicle choices than Ford in any other market...not to mention Lincoln...so how does that work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You do understand that Ford in the US offers more vehicle choices than Ford in any other market...not to mention Lincoln...so how does that work?
Except they only offer the fusion as a sedan and more than half their offerings are crossovers, SUVs, and pickup trucks...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Except they only offer the fusion as a sedan and more than half their offerings are crossovers, SUVs, and pickup trucks...
this is where/why I question just how many models OneBrand can effectively represent
(without some things getting lost in the crowd...of being all things to all people...'''you mean that truck brand?'''...imho Ford can't have it both(all!)ways)
&
is a main reason for my 'support' for The RETURN of MERCURY

edit:
I can also see this as a reason that 'Ford' could FEAR bringing Mercury back
cuz
if they did that Right, they'd have to '''be more confident in their masculinity''' to not feel threatened
& have a faction rise-up in the Corp (again) bent on 'jihad'

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
But in the EU, any Ford North American vehicle is available via Importers with minimal adjustments done to meet EU regs.
Yes it costs extra but it is at least feasible, compared to you in the USA trying to import for example a Focus wagon, Mondeo 5 door, S-Max etc etc.

For you to import a S-Max or a cheap Focus wagon to USA would cost you an insane amount of money to pass the regulations.

But I do believe you took my more choices comment out of context.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts