Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many states have "lights required when wipers are on" provision. Wouldn't a simple connection between the wiper switch and the headlight switch solve this? Ford has led in many safety inovations. I rember the seatbelts in the fifties.

Just a suggestion.......:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Many states have "lights required when wipers are on" provision. Wouldn't a simple connection between the wiper switch and the headlight switch solve this? Ford has led in many safety inovations. I rember the seatbelts in the fifties.

Just a suggestion.......:popcorn:
I think they have this already with the rain sensing wipers. I think my LS has it since I have the rain sensing wipers, and I know for a fact my friends Mercedes Benz has it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rain sensing is one thing, and it's fine for turning the wipers on. But some state laws also require the headlights also to be turned on. It's that way here in Missouri.

We're in the SW Missouri Ozarks south of Springfield, and well into the hills and curves on county and local roads. At dusk, when it's raining, I often encounter oncoming cars with the wipers on but the headlights off. Sometimes coming around a blind curve on a hill can be white knuckle experience.

A wire between the wiper switch and the headlight switch would be simple and cheap solution to many "lost control" and "off the road" accidents and fatalities. Of course the multifunction switches (those thingies we used to call turn signal switches) can complicate things.

I still think it's worth looking at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I believe some FoMoCo vehicles have their auto-headlites tied in with the (auto?)wipers but not consistently...no idea why not - Agree that it could be good to offer that combo on even the lowliest Ford with manual HL/wipers**

** something even an anti-nannie like me would appreciate
Any way to pass it on to FoMoCo engineering? If we gotta have that third brake light, why can't we have this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 2006 Ford Freestar's headlights come on automatically when the wipers are on for more than a couple of seconds and our 2008 Mariner we used to have did the same thing. My parent's 2010 Ford Escape does, as well. None of these vehicles has rain sensing wipers.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What I consider dangerous are the headlight settings which allow daytime running lights to be on, but do not turn on the rear lights of the vehicle. So many people are driving around oblivious that they cannot be seen from the rear when it is rainy/foggy, or semi-dark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts