Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WSJ: Ford Board Approves Ending Mercury

Ford Motor Co. will shut its Mercury brand after its board of directors voted to phase out the 71-year old nameplate, according to a person familiar with the matter.
The company has scheduled a news conference for later Wednesday where it will outline its Mercury plan, this person said.

LINK

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Mercury Falling

The ax will fall on the Mercury brand at the end of the year, Ford announced today, ending the 71-year run for the marque which was positioned between Ford and Lincoln.
Just over 1,700 dealers are Mercury dealers all of them dualed with either Lincoln or Ford stores. Company officials said Mercury had only .8 percent share of the market. Part of the strategy in discontinuing the Mercury brand is to eliminate the overlap with Ford division products, principally the Milan and Mariner, which were essentially rebadged Ford Fusion and Escape models. The company said it would be expanding the Lincoln lineup to include a new C-segment vehicle, which could either be a luxury version of the next generation Ford Focus or the C-Max crossover.

More...

·
Registered
137 Posts
This has really just taking the wind out of me today!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have to admit that I will hate to see the Mariner go. I always thought that it looked much better than its Escape counterpart.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Couldn't have happened to a nicer brand of vehicles...I will miss wishing for a new Cougar.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In a perfect world, FoMoCo would be using the discontinuation of Mercury as a strategy to eliminate remaining stand alone Lincoln/Mercury dealerships and would revive the brand in the future as a sportier niche brand with the 4 products that I listed in the link below:

Link: http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/60392-ford-announces-end-of-the-road-for-mercury/page__pid__604447__st__60&#entry604447.

I know this is an impossibility or a pipe dream, but it would be nice if it were the real strategy. Mercury would look totally hot with the 4 stylish entries that I described in the link.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ altho I'd agree with practically ANYthing that would have kept Mercury going (imho Merc will Never "die")
imho your 4 models are excellent, Cire!

but imho, FoMoCo is Not even thinking that far ahead

however
to ponder the possibilities for another moment...
What would you think of basing your Milan liftback-coupe/sedan on the 5-door euro-RotW Mazda6?
- it's a decent skosh smaller than any US market FoMoCo/Mazda midsizer
- seems to me like FoMoCo is quite happy to do 2-of-a-kind
Fusion/MKZ, Taurus/MKS, etc/etc

·
Registered
334 Posts
^ altho I'd agree with practically ANYthing that would have kept Mercury going (imho Merc will Never "die")
imho your 4 models are excellent, Cire!

but imho, FoMoCo is Not even thinking that far ahead

however
to ponder the possibilities for another moment...
What would you think of basing your Milan liftback-coupe/sedan on the 5-door euro-RotW Mazda6?
- it's a decent skosh smaller than any US market FoMoCo/Mazda midsizer
- seems to me like FoMoCo is quite happy to do 2-of-a-kind
Fusion/MKZ, Taurus/MKS, etc/etc
Thank you!

I still prefer the longer wheelbase of the current Mondeo for my version of the next gen Milan. I tend to think that longer wheelbases yield better proportions. Given the coupe like styling, the longer wheelbase may be necessary in order to provide a decent amount of passenger space. It's just my opinion and personal preference.

I guess it really doesn't matter since Mercury will be gone soon. In my dream world, I like to imagine that FoMoCo is temporarily killing Mercury as a way to force the elimination of stand alone Lincoln/Mercury dealerships. I also like to imagine that FoMoCo is temporarily suspending Mercury so that the brand can shake off its U.S. Ford clone brand image and reemerge as a stylish and sporty niche brand with the lineup that I suggested. Unfortunately, the reality is that Mercury is gone for good. It's still sort of nice to think about what could have been. Given the fact that the brand was starting to appeal to those who thought that the Mariner and Milan were more stylish than their Ford counterparts (no matter how superficial the differences happen to be), it seemed only natural to repurpose the brand as an outlet for the more style conscious products that I suggested in my brand strategy. Oh well, I guess I'll have to sadly file my strategy under "What Could Have Been".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts