2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford Fire Sale Won't Be Quick
Unloading Jaguar,
Land Rover Brands
May Take Months
By STEPHEN POWER
June 18, 2007; Page A18

Ford Motor Co. expects a sale of its Jaguar and Land Rover brands to take at least a month and possibly longer, as the auto giant seeks to drum up interest in the two United Kingdom brands from financial buyers.
The Dearborn, Mich., auto maker has had preliminary talks with Cerberus Capital Management LP about selling the brands to the private-equity company, but the discussions have been inconclusive, according to two people familiar with the matter. In May, Cerberus agreed to buy 80% of the U.S. arm of DaimlerChrysler AG.
A Ford spokesman said Sunday that the company is "not commenting on time lines" and that it is "working with our financial advisors on the best potential outcome for Jaguar and Land Rover."
The Financial Times reported over the weekend that Cerberus had expressed interest in one or both brands.
Industry analysts increasingly expect the company will off-load one or both of the units as it seeks to refocus on its North American operations, which are piling up big losses as high gasoline prices discourage sales of large pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles.
A person familiar with the matter said a sale of Jaguar and Land Rover is likely to take at least a month, noting that the sale of Aston Martin took roughly six months from the time Ford announced it was considering selling the division. In March, Ford sold Aston Martin to a group of investors led by David Richards for $848 million.

WSJ

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Didnt they also say that Aston wasnt for sale?
No. Bill Ford anounced that they were looking for a buyer at the begining of the process. So far about Jaguar and RR all they have said is that they are looking at their options. I guess that one of the options would be to give the brands away, the same way Daimler got rid of Chrysler. Is that a viable option for Ford? . . . maybe, I guess, as much as keeping the brands. I personally, would go for selling RR and keeping Jaguar.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Didnt they also say that Aston wasnt for sale?

Exactly. My post, I admit, was meant to be sarcastic. So many other members, here and at other forums (GMI) have written similar things over the last few months whenever a story of the possible sale of Aston and Jag, and Land Rover surfaced. But now it seems that regardless of what Ford may have said publicly, these names are now for sale.

"Never say never" I suppose is the lesson here.

By the way, I'm sorry to see the state of affairs that has developed. Jag sales have sunken "hard-by-the-bow", with no regard to the billions Dearborn has wired it. Land Rover, I know, is doing well these days despite embarrasing quality reports. But I'm sure Ford management has decided to cut it loose and concentrate their efforts at home. I applaud them for this.

·
Registered
764 Posts
By the way, I'm sorry to see the state of affairs that has developed. Jag sales have sunken "hard-by-the-bow", with no regard to the billions Dearborn has wired it. Land Rover, I know, is doing well these days despite embarrasing quality reports. But I'm sure Ford management has decided to cut it loose and concentrate their efforts at home. I applaud them for this.
I think I have to agree, as much as this hurts me to say it, Jag and LR have to go. It seems like Ford needs to focus more on the NA Ford/Lincoln/Merc products, and maybe with the money they keep poring into Jag can be used to make the Ford vehciles here more competitive.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Exactly. My post, I admit, was meant to be sarcastic. So many other members, here and at other forums (GMI) have written similar things over the last few months whenever a story of the possible sale of Aston and Jag, and Land Rover surfaced. But now it seems that regardless of what Ford may have said publicly, these names are now for sale.

"Never say never" I suppose is the lesson here.

Just two things for the record:

1. Ford never denied that Aston Martin was for sale. The process was wildly covered by the media and unlike with Jaguar and Land Rover Ford confirmed since day one the AM was for sale. Why would Ford just confirm that Jaguar or/and Land Rover are up for sale? This rumors have only raised the price of their stock and pleases the "analysts" who may give Ford a brake it it turns out to be true. I am not saying its not going to happen, but I truly believe that Ford is looking at their options regarding these two brands and no decision has been made; and,

2. "Ford Motor Company shows dramatic quality improvement in this year’s study, particularly its Land Rover and Lincoln divisions. Land Rover was the most improved nameplate in the 2007 IQS, and Lincoln rose from No. 12 to a No. 3 overall industry ranking behind No. 2 Lexus and Porsche, which is the highest ranked nameplate in the study. Mercury and Ford also performed well in the 2007 IQS."

SOURCE

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just two things for the record:

1. Ford never denied that Aston Martin was for sale. The process was wildly covered by the media and unlike with Jaguar and Land Rover Ford confirmed since day one the AM was for sale. Why would Ford just confirm that Jaguar or/and Land Rover are up for sale? This rumors have only raised the price of their stock and pleases the "analysts" who may give Ford a brake it it turns out to be true. I am not saying its not going to happen, but I truly believe that Ford is looking at their options regarding these two brands and no decision has been made; and,

2. "Ford Motor Company shows dramatic quality improvement in this year’s study, particularly its Land Rover and Lincoln divisions. Land Rover was the most improved nameplate in the 2007 IQS, and Lincoln rose from No. 12 to a No. 3 overall industry ranking behind No. 2 Lexus and Porsche, which is the highest ranked nameplate in the study. Mercury and Ford also performed well in the 2007 IQS."

SOURCE

1) I stand corrected, but you must admit that when even a rumor surfaced there was quite a noise from many rabidly denying Ford would do it.

2) I realize and applaud the gains in quality rankings of Ford domestic product. And Jaguar has, for years now, been at or near the top of the heap. My comment was aimed only at Land Rover. If there have been improvments recently, then great. The poor showings have not, as I wrote, harmed sales.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
My comment was aimed only at Land Rover. If there have been improvments recently, then great. The poor showings have not, as I wrote, harmed sales.
I am not denying the veracity of what you said, I am only showing for the record, that there have been improvements in LR quality ratings, big improvements. That's why I highlighted the Land Rover related sentence of the JD power web page article. Is not a matter of "if", they have improved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts